NGT 9000 and Foreflight

Derek

I bought my Mooney last year, and it came with an NGT9000 transponder.

I am trying to get it's traffic to show up on Foreflight, but it isn't working.

The transponder is running a WiFi network, which I connect my iPad to, but the transponder isn't showing up in Foreflight's devices list.

Is this a problem that is going to require an avionics shop? 

My internet searches for this issue haven't been fruitful.

Thanks!

Hi Derek,

I think I can help you out. Most likely the WiFi dongle needs to be reconfigured, which is very easy to do. You'll need a Windows 10 laptop and a software tool.

Send me an email (jim.keeth@L3Harris.com) and I will send you the tool and instructions.

Jim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eight8Victor said:

@jkeeth I never updated my software after the GPS date rollover. Will L3 still pay my shop to do the update? Am I able to do it with a laptop?

The software package is usually free, but I've never seen a manufacturer pay for the labor to have an upgrade done.  The shop I use for my Garmin software updates usually does it for free since I've been doing business with them for awhile.  Never hurts to ask, but my guess is no, L3 won't pay the labor charges if the shop charges to do the update. 

10 hours ago, ohdub said:

@JKeeth, for me foreflight displays ADS-B traffic from the Lynx, but not the active traffic targets. Is it a wifi configuration in my case too? 

Thanks!

Steve

Which version of the Lynx do you have installed?  Only the 9000+ and 9000D+ show active traffic and another antenna is required.  The base model NGT-9000 does not have active traffic capability, only ADSB traffic.  Here's the difference between the four versions of the 9000 from the Lynx website:

1. The NGT-9000, also referred to as the “straight” NGT-9000, includes an internal position source (WAAS GPS), 1090ES Transponder for the transponder and the ADS-B Out functions, Dual-Band ADS-B In which gives you the FIS-B weather products and the ADS-B traffic.  Additionally it includes the PIM-9000 WiFi module for displaying this information on a PED via various Aviation Apps.
  2. The NGT-9000+, has ALL the same functionality of the straight NGT-9000, Plus it adds TAS/TCAS1 active traffic.  This requires the additional NY-156/-164 directional antenna.
  3. The NGT-9000D, has ALL the same functionality of the straight NGT-9000, and, it adds the Diversity function.  This requires an additional L-Band antenna to be mounted on-top.
  4. The NGT-9000D+, has ALL the same functionality of the straight NGT-9000, as well as the NGT-9000D and the NGT-9000+.  It also requires the NY-156/-164 Directional antenna, but not the additional L-Band antenna, because the Top Diversity antenna function is incorporated in the NY-156/-164.

I'm glad to see that Foreflight opened up their architecture for more ADSB solutions.  When I had the NGT-9000 installed in my Bonanza back in 2017, Foreflight only allowed Stratus to connect to it.

Cheers,

Brian

I had to pay my installer to update my GTN and the Lynx. Odd part is that the Lynx still wouldn’t show winds aloft etc for several months and all of a sudden it works fine now. I also thought that ATAS was supposed to be included for free with the GPS rollover update and it didn’t work. The boys at L3 believe it was because the software wasn’t loaded properly; the shop is more than willing to investigate it but I just don’t have the time. It has always worked great with Foreflight and mine was installed in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, flight2000 said:

Which version of the Lynx do you have installed? 

I have the 9000+ Both the Lynx display and my IFD440 display both ADS-B and active traffic targets, but the only targets that show up on foreflight are the ADS-B ones.

23 hours ago, ohdub said:

@JKeeth, for me foreflight displays ADS-B traffic from the Lynx, but not the active traffic targets. Is it a wifi configuration in my case too? 

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Nope, not a wifi configuration issue. ForeFlight does not display the active traffic targets, but I believe they are working on correcting that.

Jim

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eight8Victor said:

@jkeeth I never updated my software after the GPS date rollover. Will L3 still pay my shop to do the update? Am I able to do it with a laptop?

I could walk you through the process to update the software. It's not too complicated and depending on your laptop and USB speed could take as long as 15 mins. You would need a Windows 10 computer, the Lynx software tool and files, and a USB to mini USB cable.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you some info early next week.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, JKeeth said:

Hi Derek,

I think I can help you out. Most likely the WiFi dongle needs to be reconfigured, which is very easy to do. You'll need a Windows 10 laptop and a software tool.

Send me an email (jim.keeth@L3Harris.com) and I will send you the tool and instructions.

Jim

I tried sending jim an email but it came back bad address. Anyone have any luck with updating software on this ngt9000 transponder? I keep losing my WiFi connection to my iPad after 15 minutes successful communication.

william

1984 m20J 

I tried sending jim an email but it came back bad address. Anyone have any luck with updating software on this ngt9000 transponder? I keep losing my WiFi connection to my iPad after 15 minutes successful communication.
william
1984 m20J 

This is probably why you can’t reach Jim.

0a3b1d687b7ee9e5a6d66e00391b6ac7.png

I have used Jim’s instructions to update the firmware on my unit. L-3 had a site where you could get access to the current firmware. Not sure that still exists since they are now having a third party provide technical support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marauder said:

This is probably why you can’t reach Jim.

0a3b1d687b7ee9e5a6d66e00391b6ac7.png

I have used Jim’s instructions to update the firmware on my unit. L-3 had a site where you could get access to the current firmware. Not sure that still exists since they are now having a third party provide technical support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you have Jim’s prior instructions on how to update the firmware? I’m hoping that’s what will fix my WiFi connection issue.

On 11/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, William A said:

Do you have Jim’s prior instructions on how to update the firmware? I’m hoping that’s what will fix my WiFi connection issue.

“Airplane mode” on my phone might have “fixed” my WiFi issue on my iPad. Just flew 2 hours w no WiFi drop! Must have been trying to use my phone as a hotspot perhaps. Other 3 passengers did not put their phones on airplane mode so must have just been mine interfering.

• Like 1