Continental SB on TSIO360 fuel primer system

pwnel

Are any of you complying with the Continental SB CSB19-01 "Fuel Primer Diverter Valve Assembly" that essentially removes the priming system that we're all used to on TSIO360 engines?  Plane is in for annual and this came up.  Never heard of this before.  @M20Doc @kortopates ?

CSB19-01.pdf

Yes, I complied with it as soon as it was released. The Primer switch still works and I still use it every time I start the plane. I find it takes about double the number of seconds to prime than it did before removing the diverter valve. But other than holding the prime switch for an extra 5 seconds or so, nothing inside the cockpit changes.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, carusoam said:

See if this is the same thing...

When it comes to searchable items... SBs get much discussion...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks, it is.  Spent a full 15 minutes searching for it before posting but nothing came up.  I tried :wacko:

I complied about a year ago after a lengthy conversation with a Continental tech rep. At that time they had confirmed two failures in about a 40 year period. (Hence the discussion). In essence it removes the valve which can stick open and two primer lines and requires a rerouted or replaced line to the fuel distributor. Simplifies the system and removes several possible problems. 

As an operator you will not do anything different. A benefit is smoother starts since all six cylinders are getting equal distribution directly.  A win win in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pwnel said:

Are any of you complying with the Continental SB CSB19-01 "Fuel Primer Diverter Valve Assembly" that essentially removes the priming system that we're all used to on TSIO360 engines?  Plane is in for annual and this came up.  Never heard of this before.  @M20Doc @kortopates ?

CSB19-01.pdf 4.99 MB · 9 downloads

There is no downside to complying with the CSB. Most of us did it when the original CSB came out, Continental has issued the second iteration on this a few months ago. Apparently, per Continental a bad seal, has already brought down one plane, hence the CSB. But after you comply with it, you won't even know there is a difference. You'll prime the same way for the same duration and it'll start the same way. (I passed the same info to your Savvy account mgr as well). 

Most likely you will also need the newer taller cylinder drains too (1 for each cyl) but not real expensive.

Here is the current version of the CSB

As a Continental engine owner, you can sign up for email notifications of these for free so that you aren't caught off guard again. At least you could, they have delegated much of their documentation to ATP these days.

CSB19-01A Diverter Valve removal.pdf

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, kortopates said:

As a Continental engine owner, you can sign up for email notifications of these for free so that you aren't caught off guard again. At least you could, they have delegated much of their documentation to ATP these days.

CSB19-01A Diverter Valve removal.pdf 4.16 MB · 6 downloads

Thanks Paul - that's a great tip.  Always uncomfortable when you've never heard about it before. (MAPA Logs are good that way for keeping us up to date with Mooney SBs).

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

The search function is like an RPN calculator...

It takes some getting used to...

If only - proud HP32 user for 28 years now.  And it's only on its second battery.  Don't make em like they used to ;)

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1