2/22/2020 Come say goodbye (or hello) to The Grove (8A6 in NC)

eman1200

As some of you may know, Wilgrove (8A6) is shutting down ( @David Lloyd posted about it here).  They have just under 90 days before they put up a parking lot, or more ugly houses stacked on top of each other or maybe some crack houses, I dunno. Please let it be crack houses.  Either way, The Grove is responsible for training several stunt pilots such as myself and other psychopilots willing to land on a short sidewalk tucked between overgrown trees and a heaping pile of LLWS (you’ve been warned). 

I was thinking if anyone wanted to meet up and say goodbye to the place, or if u haven’t been there before say your first and last hello, on Saturday 2/22. Maybe grab some pizza for lunch, take some pics, judge someone “landings”, maybe have a group pee on the runway (I hear it’s good luck).....

Anyways, I’m not officially organizing anything, I’m just saying it would be cool to meet some peeps and say goodbye to another local GA airport while we still have the chance, and 2/22 has a bunch of 2’s in it so why not pick that date?  If you're in, lemme know what kind of pizza u like, I'll grab some pies.  

Rain date is when it's not raining, or before The Grove shuts down for good, whichever comes first.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Crack houses, short sidewalk and heaping pile of LLWS.  Alan will love you for that.  Yep, learn here, land anywhere.  See you 2/22...uh at 2?

1:00 Central. Have to see what's going on then . . . .

30 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

ADS-B required, Hank, unless you're driving.

I'm sure he could try to apply for the adapt that day and maybe if hes lucky he'll get it. just include in the description, trying to make it to an airport one last time before shutdown. or call Charlotte center.

24 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

he who shows up with no adsb, buys the pizza for everyone.  sorry, it's not my rule but we do enforce it.

If you pay my fuel home, I'll buy the pizza. It would be less than 2 hours if ATL would ever let me into the Bravo. Hasn't happened as long as I've been flying (since 2007). Going around typically adds 20-30 minutes depending on winds aloft.

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

If you pay my fuel home, I'll buy the pizza. It would be less than 2 hours if ATL would ever let me into the Bravo. Hasn't happened as long as I've been flying (since 2007). Going around typically adds 20-30 minutes depending on winds aloft.

more pizza for us, uh, I mean we'll miss you.

Sorry to hear the news of another drome being turned into nothing that couldn't have just a well gone somewhere else. 

I've used Wilgrove several times, most recently to ferry Dr_Bill's E model to MRN where Jon took ownership after he returned from overseas. In the '70's there was a Mooney Dealership there where I rented a G model a time or two. Good memories.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, Hank said:

Cant you go over it?

14 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Not without ADS-B. And can't go under it, either.

Ahhh.... Well, is ADS-B on your short list?   Sounds like it could pay for itself for you pretty quick.  What does it cost per hour for your aircraft?  If a route around B cost you half an hour, that is 1 hour per round trip... I would think 10 trips or less and it is paid for and you saved your precious time.... not to mention the added benefit of being able to detect and be vigilant for threats when flying VFR (and IFR really).

I actually think ADSB should be mandated for EVERYONE EVERYWHERE.  Heck, they are about to mandate it for ALL "drones" including RC aircraft and Freeflight. 

ADSB is by far the cheapest and most effective safety improvement we have ever seen.  TAWS was good, but VERY expensive for a lot of aircraft.  Synthetic vision, Amazing... but compared to a 1000.00 price tag for ADSB it is very pricey.

Here is the way I look at at...  Just my .02 , but we (aircraft owners) will ALL pay for adsb at one point.  Either installing it ourselves, or taking less money when we go to sell.  Unless you just happen to find a buyer that is OK with not being able to navigate over or under or thru class B and is also OK with the lower safety factor.  When you go to sell, your aircraft will be listed with others that will already have it... you will either sell for less then them or not sell...

So, that being the case, why not install it now and reap the benefit until you do sell.

Ahhh.... Well, is ADS-B on your short list?   Sounds like it could pay for itself for you pretty quick.  What does it cost per hour for your aircraft?  If a route around B cost you half an hour, that is 1 hour per round trip... I would think 10 trips or less and it is paid for and you saved your precious time.... not to mention the added benefit of being able to detect and be vigilant for threats when flying VFR (and IFR really).
I actually think ADSB should be mandated for EVERYONE EVERYWHERE.  Heck, they are about to mandate it for ALL "drones" including RC aircraft and Freeflight. 
  ADSB is by far the cheapest and most effective safety improvement we have ever seen.  TAWS was good, but VERY expensive for a lot of aircraft.  Synthetic vision, Amazing... but compared to a 1000.00 price tag for ADSB it is very pricey.

Here is the way I look at at...  Just my .02 , but we (aircraft owners) will ALL pay for adsb at one point.  Either installing it ourselves, or taking less money when we go to sell.  Unless you just happen to find a buyer that is OK with not being able to navigate over or under or thru class B and is also OK with the lower safety factor.  When you go to sell, your aircraft will be listed with others that will already have it... you will either sell for less then them or not sell...
So, that being the case, why not install it now and reap the benefit until you do sell.

....and pizza. Don’t forget the pizza.

20 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

Not aware of a 1 AMU adsb option cheapest I know of is Garmin GDL at 1.7 AMU but requires around 8 hours to install or Uavionics at 1.9 AMU but with simple install. Please advise if you have knowledge of a thousand dollar solution 

23 minutes ago, bonal said:

Not aware of a 1 AMU adsb option cheapest I know of is Garmin GDL at 1.7 AMU but requires around 8 hours to install or Uavionics at 1.9 AMU but with simple install. Please advise if you have knowledge of a thousand dollar solution 

Ok, you are correct... the 1amu unit I had seen was for experimental ( which is kinda dumb IMHO!).... So it appears you are correct, Tailbeacon is 1.9 and a simple install which makes it the easiest and cheapest solution.

That being said, I think my point still stands... Pay for it now, or pay for it later without getting any of the benefits.

On a related note, when I was aircraft shopping, I got annoyed that Trade-a-plane did not offer a filter option for ADS-B compliance... I contacted them about it and they said they are working on that (as well as other filter options).... So that means if you list your aircraft with no ADS-B in the future, prospective buyers may not even see it.

I actually ended up buying an aircraft that was not listed with ADS-B, but negotiated that it was to be installed prior to the purchase. That was a $4500.00 negotiation in my favor as we had a garmin transponder installed. as part of the deal...  Had the owner done it prior, he would have been able to enjoy the benefits and I wouldn't have haggled on the matter.