What is up with MAPA

wburger1

I tried to renew with MAPA online but the website does not allow you to do that.  Then I emailed MAPA and did not get a response I called MAPA and no one answered the phone so 

I left a message and did not get a response.  What else can I do?  Is MAPA GONE NOW???

I emailed them in October because I couldn't renew online..this was the response I got back:

We are creating a new PayPal account attached to a new bank account.  We had to close that account in order to create a new one.  I am sorry for the inconvenience and would be happy to help you.  You can call me at 830-315-8008.

Thanks.

Peggy at MAPA

I have yet to sign up myself as I'm waiting for the new 'site.'

• Like 1

Unfortunately Lela isn't there anymore.

Before you could access Mooney info on the internet and before Mooneyspace, the MAPA log was the monthly source of info for Mooneys. Sadly the last few years it seems like just the same magazine shuffled around every month. When you compare it to other owner groups magazines it needs a lot of updating to attract recent Mooney owners.

• Like 1

I just called and they answered the phone.  I renewed with them and it only took about 5 minutes.  They informed me (I didn’t know this) the new website address is www.mooneypilots.org. It’s up but not complete yet. 

Brian

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vno said:

I just called and they answered the phone.  I renewed with them and it only took about 5 minutes.  They informed me (I didn’t know this) the new website address is www.mooneypilots.org. It’s up but not complete yet. 

Brian

Now THAT is a better looking web site!

• Like 1

A few months ago (before I was kicked off the Mooney Pilots Facebook group for having an opinion on a Mooney-related topic), the new folks at MAPA said they were hard at work building important critical things useful to Mooney pilots.  They said their highest priority was to create an Internet forum where Mooney issues could be discussed to replace the email list. I said “hey you know there’s already a super active Internet forum called mooneyspace wouldn’t it make more sense for MAPA to get involved in that instead of spending limited resources creating a new and duplicative forum.”  The silence was deafening.  Anyway did not exactly make me want to send them money.  

Edited by Becca
  • Like 5

I was a MAPA member back in the 1990's.  It was THE go-to place for everything Mooney related, hands down.  And I'm still a member and will remain so until they close up.

But in our current day where better information products are available faster and less expensively, it seems to be struggling for relevance.  Kind of like the Mooney factory, unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Becca said:

A few months ago (before I was kicked off the Mooney Pilots Facebook group for having an opinion on a Mooney-related topic), the new folks at MAPA said they were hard at work building important critical things useful to Mooney pilots.  They said their highest priority was to create an Internet forum where Mooney issues could be discussed to replace the email list. I said “hey you know there’s already a super active Internet forum called mooneyspace wouldn’t it make more sense for MAPA to get involved in that instead of spending limited resources creating a new and duplicative forum.”  The silence was deafening.  Anyway did not exactly make me want to send them money.  

Yip, I had a decade long run with various social networks and I studied these dynamics in depth.  It's just misguided to think you're going to replace or duplicate a forum with as much traction as Mooneyspace.  I saw the various links in the last few MAPA Logs and it caught my attention too, thinking what is this? and why isn't Mooneyspace on it? 

I like a good magazine and they really should just double down on that.  But right now it's not even close to Twin Cessna Flyer or the PA46 magazine (admittedly those folks have deeper pockets to support a fancy print mag).

4 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I was a MAPA member back in the 1990's.  It was THE go-to place for everything Mooney related, hands down.  And I'm still a member and will remain so until they close up.

But in our current day where better information products are available faster and less expensively, it seems to be struggling for relevance.  Kind of like the Mooney factory, unfortunately. 

I stopped renewing when Kromer was kicked out. His articles on spinning, icing up, tail stalling, etc in Mooneys as part of FAA certificate flights were invaluable.  I haven't seen anyone equal that since. The month after he left the featured article was called "Ice is for cocktails" and was a repeat of what had been written 100 times in every aviation rag available. 

-Robert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 59Moonster said:

I got a fast response but no resolution. Are you able to login?

Yes, I was able to login and it still works. It appears the password is case sensitive and I think it defaulted to the first letter being capitalized (hard to tell since it doesn't show what you are typing). Once I worked around that, it worked.

I got away from MAPA some years ago because the bad grammar and poor spelling just didn’t pass my fourth-grade filter. I wondered how a publication urging professionalism, accuracy and attention to details could sound so ignorant.This was before the joys of autocorrect, and my teeth were being worn down by the sloppy editing. I even volunteered free proofreading, understanding that English isn’t everybody’s strong suit, but there was no reply. Well, all righty , then.  Never mind.

i look forward to hearing of improvements. Meanwhile, there’s mooneyspace.com. And when I find an alternative to PayPal, I’ll send a token of my appreciation!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Amelia said:

And when I find an alternative to PayPal, I’ll send a token of my appreciation!

So I am not the only one to despise PayPal, yay! And in what swell company... :-)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Amelia said:

I got away from MAPA some years ago because the bad grammar and poor spelling just didn’t pass my fourth-grade filter. I wondered how a publication urging professionalism, accuracy and attention to details could sound so ignorant.This was before the joys of autocorrect, and my teeth were being worn down by the sloppy editing. I even volunteered free proofreading, understanding that English isn’t everybody’s strong suit, but there was no reply. Well, all righty , then.  Never mind.

i look forward to hearing of improvements. Meanwhile, there’s mooneyspace.com. And when I find an alternative to PayPal, I’ll send a token of my appreciation!

Amelia,

If you usually come to Oshkosh Airventure, there is an option for donations: for the last few years we had a Mooneyspace social with pizza and beer on Monday night where accepted cash donations would go half and half between MooneySpace web site and the Mooney Caravan Safety Foundation.

Yves

• Like 2