Oil change waste

Austintatious

So over the last few oil changes, putting in 100w into the rocket, which takes 13 quarts after draining.... I started to wonder how much oil is left in the containers afterwords.   I try to let them sit inverted in the oil neck for a few min, but with 13 quarts to add that gets REALLY tedious.

So, The last oil change, I emptied the quart containers and only let them sit for about 20 seconds inverted after they were "empty" and then capped them and kept them.  I then brought them home and started consolidating them slowly giving the oil more time to run out.  I then capped the empty containers and let them sit upside down for a few days.  I came back  and started consolidating again.

Well, It appears that just a bit less than 1/2 quart is left behind in the 13 containers.

There, now for all of you that have the same sick curiosities that I do, mystery solved!

Now that I know, for all this extra effort, I can now save on 100 bucks in oil every 26 oil changes!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just imagine how much oil from new containers is going into the trash, along with used oil from old filters.  I try to use oil by the drum in the shop and recycle all the old oil and filters.

Clarence

very much depends what is the ambient temperature when you change the oil.

It does add up. If you let the oil drain and collect what is left, just make sure there is no abrasive material that gets in whatever container you are collecting

I purchase 1 gallon jugs for oil drains.  Not sure all brands have that size available  

On 1/20/2020 at 3:18 PM, M20Doc said:

Just imagine how much oil from new containers is going into the trash, along with used oil from old filters.  I try to use oil by the drum in the shop and recycle all the old oil and filters.

Clarence

In California the old filters are treated as hazardous waste and handled separate from the trash. Not sure if that’s what you meant by trash though.

-Robert  

On 1/20/2020 at 5:20 PM, OR75 said:

I purchase 1 gallon jugs for oil drains.  Not sure all brands have that size available  

I drain my oil into empty laundry detergent jugs, they will hold more than my engine's 8 qt capacity. Then take it to the auto parts store for them to dump and recycle. 

Just now, Mark89114 said:

And if they find out is is burned in an engine that uses lead, it might be haz mat.  Possibly.....dont volunteer that when dropping off at recycling center.  

I learned at an early age:  Never Again Volunteer Yourself. This applies to my person, my knowledge and sometimes just plain information (like the source of all of the oil I drop off at the auto parts store . . .  :lol:).

11 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

In California the old filters are treated as hazardous waste and handled separate from the trash. Not sure if that’s what you meant by trash though.

-Robert  

I’m sure that lots of oil filters simply get tossed in the trash can instead of being recycled.  I recycle the scrap steel and a local company collects the filter media and old oil for recycling as well.

The city here had to place signs at every storm water drain to remind people that is only for water, go figure.

Clarence

6 hours ago, Hank said:

I learned at an early age:  Never Again Volunteer Yourself. This applies to my person, my knowledge and sometimes just plain information (like the source of all of the oil I drop off at the auto parts store . . .  :lol:).

Volunteer you say?

Like the drill sergeant asking for any cadet volunteers that played the piano.................... with that, several enthusiastic youngsters raised their hand .  The sergeant then gleefully said, "great, we've got a grand piano that needs to be unloaded over at the officers club. You all fall out and go on over there and take care of that"  :o

NEVER volunteer !  :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Volunteer you say?

Like the drill sergeant asking for any cadet volunteers that played the piano.................:lol:

Nah, my "educator" was a Chief Petty Officer . . . Look at the highlighted initials. 

Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

I have a drain oil burner permit, allowing all drain oil to be burned by approved oil burning furnaces, at my dealership.  We also have a million BTU wood boiler.  We CAN dispose our oil filters through normal trash collection but I’ve never felt that was a good environmental decision.  We throw a few oil filters in the wood stove every time we fill it, and actually save them through the summer to burn during the winter.  We are also able to crush them and recycle, but again, find we’re introducing oil into the environment.  The metal recycling center has NO PROBLEM accepting burnt out oil filters and we’re introducing no more hazard to the environment than we would if we could totally extract the oil from the filters and burn the oil in an oil furnace.   

Probably not exactly a government approved method, but then when does best practices follow with governmental rules?

Tom

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I have a drain oil burner permit, allowing all drain oil to be burned......................

Tom

There was a local guy that came by my shop a couple of times that was filtering the use oil several times and blending it with diesel for his Power Stroke F-350....last I talked to him it was more work/mess than it was worth

22 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Volunteer you say?

Like the drill sergeant asking for any cadet volunteers that played the piano.................... with that, several enthusiastic youngsters raised their hand .  The sergeant then gleefully said, "great, we've got a grand piano that needs to be unloaded over at the officers club. You all fall out and go on over there and take care of that"  :o

NEVER volunteer !  :lol::lol:

We called it Voluntold.

-Robert

• Haha 1