Beauty M20C just popped on Controller

There's no doubt the value of vintage Mooneys are going up. But this one is a bit of a stretch. But whoever does buy this plane, will likely get a great deal. Although I can't believe after all that work and expense, he didn't flush mount the Aspen :-)

If someone is contemplating going nuts with the upgrading of a "forever" Mooney, your best bet is to do this to an E, J, or 252. Those models have the distinction of being the peak in the model line. C's are great airplanes, but they don't really have any advantage over an E other than price. F's are nice as well but aren't better than a J other than price/value. (F's do have the distinction of having the best useful load of the vintage Mooneys).  This is the same for a 231. It's only advantage over at 252 is price.

We've seen an E go for more than $150, a J for nearly $200, and 252's go north of $200.

• Like 2

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Although I can't believe after all that work and expense, he didn't flush mount the Aspen :-)

Or install a later model engine analyzer and get rid of the old analog stuff that will go south eventually and a total panel do over to the tune of thousands.....but I hope he gets his price,,,,then I can sell mine for the same if not more

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 4:19 PM, MooneyMitch said:

http://flyinglists.com/VMGWest/N7048V.htm

This beauty was formerly owned by dear people Ray and Robbie Hicks, wonderful people and former Vintage Mooney Group folks back in the day.

Enjoy the story linked above.

Just a little update.......per the linked story (quoted above), most of the mods/upgrades on this C model were performed several years ago prior to Ray and Robbie Hicks ownership, and therefore prior to the current sellers ownership, which may explain why some of the equipment is being noted as outdated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

C's are great airplanes, but they don't really have any advantage over an E other than price.

Sure they do!! We have the easy-to-start O-360. Hot, cold, freezing temps, she fires right up. Don't recall seeing many threads asking how to hot-start an O, but have seen many, many asking how to hot-start the IO series . . .

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hank said:

Sure they do!! We have the easy-to-start O-360. Hot, cold, freezing temps, she fires right up. Don't recall seeing many threads asking how to hot-start an O, but have seen many, many asking how to hot-start the IO series . . .

Great point Hank !! Love it :wub:

Hot starting an O’s IO550 is easy...

It has extra plumbing to allow the cooling of the fuel lines prior to start...

Replace the vaporized fuel with cool fuel circulated from the tank... then start using the normal procedure.

Only takes an extra tube, and a modified selector valve... and a connection at the mixture control.  

I probably over simplified the plumbing... but the process is pretty simple. :)

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Hank said:

That, and if you ever have to replace a cylinder you'll notice the difference in a big hurry...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hank said:

...and probably has  an edge in engine reliability-  the “bulletproofedness” factor.  The inflight drama /disaster potential with a plugged injector is real in a 4 cylinder bird.  And yes the cost consideration is not trivial when a new cylinder is 50% less for a C.  As a CB who is also afraid of his own shadow, a C model with a J bar was an appealing choice, and not just based on price!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don’t see any issue with the price. Nothing wrong with pricing it so you get something out of all the care put into it. And it saves someone else all the trouble. If I had a thing for vintage c models, and I had more money than time, I’d buy it.

We are talking about vintage planes here. Some people buy them because they are old, worn out and cheap.  Others buy them because they are flying antiques. This one is the equivalent of a car show ready vintage mustang. You don’t buy it because it makes financial sense. None of us are guilty of making good financial choices on this board. Even the ones buying them because they are cheap... Lol

• Like 2