Beauty M20C just popped on Controller

Hopefully, all publicity is good publicity...

Anyone that has reached the level of 10posts knows how critical the community can be... even when they do it accidentally...

keep in mind when throwing barbs at somebody else's machine... it doesn’t reflect very well on the writer either...

More hopeful thoughts...

• When you sell... I hope you get the biggest sale price...
  • When you buy... I hope you get the biggest discount...
  • If trading in... I hope the difference is a wash...

When my estate sells my fully worn out O... say nice things about me, while being un-nice about my bird...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

This is a one-off airplane. Take an average C and do all of what he did and see if you don't have much more than that into. All of the LASAR mods aren't listed in the ad - they ad up fast. Granted, everyone would do it a little differently.

If you take an average $35000 C start adding the Aspen with G5 backup $12000, GARMIN GTX345 $6000, SL-30 NAVCOM $3000, STEC 30 $8000, Tanks re-sealed $7000, Paint & Interior $20000, Garmin 530W + Flighstream 210 $9000, Speed Mods $15000-$20000?, etc, etc, etc.

If the rest of the airplane has the attention to detail that the pictures show on the panel, interior and exterior, for the right person it might be the right airplane. A couple years ago a nice E so for around $115,000 and prices have definitely gone up in the past couple years.

(Already by what's been posted is exactly why I would never list my airplane on Mooneyspace. Beechtalk does not allow any stomping on an ad. Just admire the airplane for what it is.)

Airplanes do not sell like this. When you get to 100,000$, you start looking in a different class of airplane all together. Again with M20J models when they get to $200,000 you don’t look at J’s anymore you look at A36s or something. And at 400k you dont shop for a 1978 A36 you get a new Cirrus or a SETP.  All of these over improved “forever” airplanes have one thing in common, they can’t sell for nearly what they cost to build. Which is why people don’t build them very often like that. Jet for the seller, but if everyone can just go buy an airplane and over improve it, then add up all the receipts for it and list it and sell it for that, then it will be a viable model and I would do it too. It just makes me cringe when people rationalize something by saying well look how much it cost to build....of course he has to get that much for it. Not really. But I don’t think that the world is ready for $125,000 M20C. But there are some fools out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is the finest C I have seen and I could see paying that much IF the engine was fairly new.  It would perfectly fit my mission and my wife's comfort level for many years.  Keep in mind that the $125K is an asking price and not necessarily what it will sell for.

14 hours ago, Huitt3106 said:

This one is definitely worth top price for a C model! But the inflation of aircraft prices are a double edged sword. You may smile when you sell yours, but you’ll pay more when you buy another one as well! Either way, that’s an awesome airplane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my motto is buy high and sell low.  I'll wait for the next recession to sell my plane.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

This is a one-off airplane. Take an average C and do all of what he did and see if you don't have much more than that into. All of the LASAR mods aren't listed in the ad - they ad up fast. Granted, everyone would do it a little differently.

If you take an average $35000 C start adding the Aspen with G5 backup $12000, GARMIN GTX345 $6000, SL-30 NAVCOM $3000, STEC 30 $8000, Tanks re-sealed $7000, Paint & Interior $20000, Garmin 530W + Flighstream 210 $9000, Speed Mods $15000-$20000?, etc, etc, etc.

If the rest of the airplane has the attention to detail that the pictures show on the panel, interior and exterior, for the right person it might be the right airplane. A couple years ago a nice E so for around $115,000 and prices have definitely gone up in the past couple years.

(Already by what's been posted is exactly why I would never list my airplane on Mooneyspace. Beechtalk does not allow any stomping on an ad. Just admire the airplane for what it is.)

You know if you add up all the speed increases for all the speed mods - you will be supersonic.  And yes if you don't have something good to say.....   Except pictures of airframe and engine. Those are fair game

Nice job suppressing the price of Mooneys!  Remind me to not advertise on here should I ever sell.
Someone puts a nice example up for sale and you guys go on the attack!

I don’t think anybody is intending to suppress the price of a Mooney nor attack or disparage the owner. It’s just a funny note when there is a price point that is this much of an outlier. This is a beautiful aircraft but at the end of the day a C model is still a C model. Somebody built a forever plane with this one.

I think of it like this: You can buy a 1995 Jeep Cherokee for $5,000 and put $10,000 in it for a new paint job, stereo system, and whatever else but if you try to sell it you might get $7,000 for it.

The common theme on any aircraft board I’ve read is you don’t get back out of the airplane what you put into it. Buy with what you want in the airplane, it’s too expensive to update it yourself and make any financial sense. But who wants to do to not update!?

The flip side to this coin is the aircraft is likely to be a steal if and when it sells.  If the seller is serious, I doubt he'll see that whole amount.  But whatever he sees will be far less than it costs to put all that stuff into a Mooney.  There is a logic to upgrading aircraft like this.  Yeah, it isn't new, but it might as well be, and at a fraction the cost of new.  The rub is you're supposed to keep the dang aircraft after you've done all that stuff to it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrisV said:

This is the finest C I have seen and I could see paying that much IF the engine was fairly new.  It would perfectly fit my mission and my wife's comfort level for many years.  

There are exactly 2 Cs housed at my FBO. Both mine and the other one (owned by a poster in this thread) are competitive with this bird. So it’s not that uncommon for folks to find enough utility and enjoyment in these old birds to “overimprove” them in this way.  That said I agree with the poster above who said that the market may not support >100k for these planes presently.

I don’t think anybody is intending to suppress the price of a Mooney nor attack or disparage the owner. It’s just a funny note when there is a price point that is this much of an outlier. This is a beautiful aircraft but at the end of the day a C model is still a C model. Somebody built a forever plane with this one.

I think of it like this: You can buy a 1995 Jeep Cherokee for $5,000 and put $10,000 in it for a new paint job, stereo system, and whatever else but if you try to sell it you might get $7,000 for it.

The common theme on any aircraft board I’ve read is you don’t get back out of the airplane what you put into it. Buy with what you want in the airplane, it’s too expensive to update it yourself and make any financial sense. But who wants to do to not update!?

Then explain how most Cessna 177s sell for more than a Mooney of the same age and condition?

This site is NOTORIOUS for self defecating on our plane’s values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Huitt3106 said:

Once I got old enough to frequent "adult" establishments for a cold adult beverage, an old friend of my dad's once told me this bit of wisdom:  "My hobby is this- every four or five years I find a woman I hate and give her half of everything I own!".

Kind of like that.

Oh- he owned a Cessna 421.

• Like 1

Can someone show me a C model that sold for anywhere near $100k in the last year? I would love if they sold for that, heck mine competes with that one, but it’s wishful thinking. 

Edited by salty

On 1/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, chriscalandro said:

Where is an average C for 35k?

See when you make statements like that the Internet is there to bite you.   Would have had 10K left over to start modding it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOONEY-M20C-For-sale-to-the-highest-bidder-regardless-of-price/114064801744?hash=item1a8ecabfd0:g:qDgAAOSwu1Fd96pE

9 minutes ago, Yetti said:

See when you make statements like that the Internet is there to bite you.   Would have had 10K left over to start modding it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOONEY-M20C-For-sale-to-the-highest-bidder-regardless-of-price/114064801744?hash=item1a8ecabfd0:g:qDgAAOSwu1Fd96pE

No, he asked about an "average" C model, not just one that somebody is desperate to get rid of . . .

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

No, he asked about an "average" C model, not just one that somebody is desperate to get rid of . . .

I know that plane. It needs 20k to be right. It hasn’t flown in 3  years and has been ground run a few times since. 

15 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I know that plane. It needs 20k to be right. It hasn’t flown in 3  years and has been ground run a few times since. 

Even if it needs 20k, as long as the major, normal spots are good, that doesn't look like a bad deal.

But why are there 2 sets of headset jacks on the pilots side?

Edited by chriscalandro

7 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

Even if it needs 20k, as long as the major, normal spots are good, that doesn't look like a bad deal.

But why are there 2 sets of headset jacks on the pilots side?

55K for an old C model that has terrible paint, interior, and radios and a midtime engine that’s only been ground  run in the past three years parked on grass?  That’s a deal if I ever saw one. 

10 hours ago, Yetti said:

Now compare it to a beater C172 and you will see that the price is not that far out there.

A 172 is expensive for a different reason, because it’s economically viable and profitable for student training. 

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

Then explain how most Cessna 177s sell for more than a Mooney of the same age and condition?

This site is NOTORIOUS for self defecating on our plane’s values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They don’t. But the ones that sell cheap are for the same reason that Mooney’s sell cheap. They’re pretty far gone.  Once you let the paint, interior, radios, and engine degrade to the point they all need re-done, there isn’t much left