KCS 55A Heading Flag

rogerl

Because the HSI corrected itself after switching it from slave mode I’d start by checking the 102 gyro in the back of the plane. I also think it would be a good idea to have a backup AI if you don’t already. Lots of good, slightly expensive, options to rectify the problem. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rogerl said:

Not seeing that the flagging is consistently affected by switching to free mode, but your guess on the gyro is probably right.  Do you happen to know if there is anything that a shop could have done that would manifest this problem/bugger the gyro?  It was just back from IFR cert with a fairly "new" avionics crew when I first noticed.

Anything’s possible, but assuming by ‘IFR cert’ you mean the transponder and static checks, it seems unlikely that the shop did anything to cause it. Mechanical gyros often get noisy when the bearings start to go. First thing I’d do is pop the side panel and listen to it. 

Skip