Propeller RPM control issues

3 hours ago, chooch said:

Lucky you. My linkage to governor was checked when governor came back from overhaul. Oil filter is clean but perhaps it's good idea to check also oil screen. BTW: anyone has an idea how to remove this screen tube? Space seems very tight and I doubt I will be able to retract the screen :(

There's room, but just barely.   The tube and the cap that threads into the accessory case can be separated.   On mine I have to unscrew the cap, pull it and the tube out a little, then remove the cap from the tube and then there's just barely enough space to take the tube out by itself.    When putting it back, do the reverse and reconnect the cap and tube before threading the cap back into the case so that the tube stays properly aligned in the cap.

8 hours ago, chooch said:

Lucky you. My linkage to governor was checked when governor came back from overhaul. Oil filter is clean but perhaps it's good idea to check also oil screen. BTW: anyone has an idea how to remove this screen tube? Space seems very tight and I doubt I will be able to retract the screen :(

If you search google with "soil screen removal site:mooneyspace.com" you'll find a couple of great videos showing how it is done, blood and all.  It is doable.  Being a small handed contortionist helps.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 7:01 AM, chooch said:

You have 2 oil screens. One at the back of the oil pan and one on top by the fire wall. Get about 2 different shaped wrenches and work them out slowly. 

On 11/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

If you search google with "soil screen removal site:mooneyspace.com" you'll find a couple of great videos showing how it is done, blood and all.  It is doable.  Being a small handed contortionist helps.

I thought all good Mooney mechanics kept 12 year old girls on the payroll for jobs like this, Brittain aileron servos and running strobe lights to the wingtips?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

I thought all good Mooney mechanics kept 12 year old girls on the payroll for jobs like this, Brittain aileron servos and running strobe lights to the wingtips?

This comment reminds me of a story.  Earlier this year I stopped in at Liberal, Kansas, to see the brothers that taught me to fly. While we walked out together to see my marvelous Mooney sitting on the ramp, Bill told me that in the 60's his dad was a Mooney dealer based in La Junta, Colorado. 

One day while his dad was trying to sell some aluminum, showing a potential buyer a brand new one, a friend of his dad told young Billy "Did you know that Mooney's are made by Elves in Santa's shop?".   Billy just couldn't wait to share this news with his dad, so he ran up to him and the potential buyer and repeated what he'd just heard.   Bill said that his Dad was not amused.

His dad gave me my PPL check ride.

• 1 month later...

So my engine is reassembled and reinstalled.  The prop overspeed issue is officially solved.  She works perfect.  

I am still waiting on word from DIVCO.  I spoke to the owner and he basically told me "tuff shit."  He distanced his company from the issue by saying "its all on the engine shop who assembles the engine."  Then, he tells me that he has had multiple meetings with his workers ensuring this will never happen again.  I am pretty sure this proves your gross neglegence sir!  He ended the conversation with: have your engine shop call me if there is any follow up to this as there is no need for us to ever talk again.  WHAT?

I am giving it two more weeks since my engine shop says they can influence some sway.  I will reserve presenting my contingency plan for a later post depending on what my engine shop (not the owner) can convince these cronies to do what is right.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flybeech21 said:

So my engine is reassembled and reinstalled.  The prop overspeed issue is officially solved.  She works perfect.  

I am still waiting on word from DIVCO.  I spoke to the owner and he basically told me "tuff shit."  He distanced his company from the issue by saying "its all on the engine shop who assembles the engine."  Then, he tells me that he has had multiple meetings with his workers ensuring this will never happen again.  I am pretty sure this proves your gross neglegence sir!  He ended the conversation with: have your engine shop call me if there is any follow up to this as there is no need for us to ever talk again.  WHAT?

I am giving it two more weeks since my engine shop says they can influence some sway.  I will reserve presenting my contingency plan for a later post depending on what my engine shop (not the owner) can convince these cronies to do what is right.   

Damn Kevin, that’s just wrong. Hope the shop you’re working with can come through.

Glad it’s finally working!

-Don