Wrong Voltage Avionics

OK so my 66 E just went in for ADSB upgrades and other fun stuff (430w, Gtx345, PMA 7000 audio, dme delete, aera 660, GT 50 clock, usb panel power, 4 pl intercom, and new N Number :)  )  ... They pulled the 430 and sent it in for the wass upgrade... came back and during the panel mods they discovered that the 430 was a 28V unit and not a 14V.  I grabbed the log books to verify serial numbers and they match from when the unit was originally installed in 2009.  Not that I'm looking for a remedy as I am now having an "inverter" installed to boost the voltage so the unit performs correctly.  My shop says it will work fine but I was probably having very short range radio coms... which I was but never thought too hard about it as I fly the mountains in CO all the time.  Ultimately.... was this ever a legal install?  Yes I am remedying now, so maybe I am answering my own question.

Thanks

The original 430s were all 28 volt units.  I installed mine when they first came out and still have the converter.  I think by 2009 they had dual voltage units, so it is possible that there was confusion at the time of install or a wrong replacement ended up in your plane.  Technically not a legal install without boosting to 28 volts....

Very often avionics came in a nominal voltage different than the ship’s electrical system...

Transformers and resistors are used to adjust voltage up or down... done properly... the device sees the voltage it needs...

Also when done correctly your electrical diagrams include these updated details... as does the WnB..

Some avionics have an operational range that includes 10-30V... this would cover a wide range of Mooneys...

Look at the install and operations books for your radios to see what it says... it will also give a range of temperatures that are acceptable...

Back to the broadcast/reception distance... this is not typically voltage being supplied, but antenna challenges...

But... if your radio is 24v, and your ship is 12v... and the install didn’t account for it... review everything else that has been installed at the same time...

Will your new equipment be getting new RG wire and antennas?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...