Crank able step issues

11 minutes ago, Flybeech21 said:

So I have a M20E with a crackable step.  The cable is constantly coming off the cam.  I am resigning to just raising it and pretending it doesn't exist.

Any suggestions?

What’s your serial number?  I’m 364....our planes must have shared time on the production line based on registration.

Click my web site on my signature to see one option to keep your step working, save some weight and make it automatic.

• Like 1

This seems like a good option for me when the time comes but does it have to operate so so so SLOW SLOW SLOW...

I can see after landing you forget to put the step down after you exit the runway and you remember to do it when you need it at the FBO and you have to tell your passenger to way about 5 minutes before getting out....

Is it any faster than the videos show in real life?

23 hours ago, takair said:

What’s your serial number?  I’m 364....our planes must have shared time on the production line based on registration.

Click my web site on my signature to see one option to keep your step working, save some weight and make it automatic.

I am S/N 381. 

2 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

This seems like a good option for me when the time comes but does it have to operate so so so SLOW SLOW SLOW...

I can see after landing you forget to put the step down after you exit the runway and you remember to do it when you need it at the FBO and you have to tell your passenger to way about 5 minutes before getting out....

Is it any faster than the videos show in real life?

Hi Jim

It is slower than we would have liked (not quite 5 minutes.....about 45 seconds....it is a little like watching paint dry though), but in an effort to keep weight down, we ended up with a higher ratio gearbox to pull the step up. It is usually down by the time I’m out of the plane. The geometry of the step will also support a person if not fully down....we tested this for the FAA.  The default wiring is tied to the beacon, but we include alternate ways to wire it in an addendum.  If it is a serious concern, it could easily be tied to an airspeed switch and I have even thought of tying it to the gear up and down lights.  Can work with you or your mechanic on these options.  

2 minutes ago, Flybeech21 said:

Yeah Im pretty sure I'm buying the electric step mod..

If you are a Mooneyspace Supporter (small donation to the site) I offer a discount that more than offsets the donation.  PM me for details or look us up in the vendor forum.

• Like 1

Easy to install and works great. As for the speed, I haven't found the person who can unbuckle, open the door, get out, and be ready to step down before it has time to lower. If it's just me, by the time I have shut down, written down the tach time, shut down my tablets, and am climbing out it has already been down for a bit. 

• Like 1