New Member Introduction

SCPilot1161

Hello Fellow Aviators,

I have been lurking the MooneySpace forum for a few months now so I figured it was time to go ahead and introduce myself. I have been a private pilot now for a few years and have a little over 190 hours. I am currently working on my instrument in a 172. A lot of my flight time though is actually in a Piper Arrow (~60 hours). Once I obtain my instrument rating I will begin looking for my own plane. I think a M20C, E, or F would be perfect for my mission. Two people, mostly trips along the East Coast (NC, SC, GA, & FL). I have actually never flown a Mooney or even sat in one but I love the way they look on the ramp and when compared to an Arrow I think you get more plane for the money not to mention most Arrows are trainers and have lots of AFTT. If anyone is near the Columbia, SC or Greenville, SC area that has a Mooney (preferably a C, E or F model) and would be willing to let me take a look or take me up for a quick flight I would gladly pay for the fuel. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more about the vintage Mooney's.

Cheers,

Eli

• Like 4

Welcome Eli,

as much as all the opinions here are biased, you can’t get better than a Mooney. I’ve been an owner for 1.5 years now, and when I was looking for a plane, I kept coming back to the M20.

Fast, sexy, low wing, sips fuel, retractable gear.... it has it all. 

• Like 2

Welcome aboard

I have flown an Arrow as well as my Mooney.  The Arrow my have a little more elbow room or maybe just the appearance of it.  A 200HP arrow and an E or F are pretty well matched.  The Mooney is slightly faster and carries more fuel for longer flights or easier planning for IFR flights.

The short bodies C or E models I call great 4 seat 2 place aircraft.  You can put people in the back if needed but they do make wonderful 2 place aircraft with plenty of baggage room.  I even know of one E model that the owner completely removed the rear seats and didn't bother o put them back.

The F does give you more baggage room and rear seat room which is nice.  Don't forget the J model as well a little more $ but same airframe as the F.

• Like 3

I was at a disadvantage parking my 150 not 50 yards from a major Mooney shop. Seeing all the different Mooneys coming and going made it tough to move up any other way.  Since your goal is to get your IR really think about the avionics you want as well as the normal pre buy inspection when doing your search. As many here on panel space, I mean Mooney space it's a lot to invest to upgrade your avionics as compared to letting the previous owner pay for it. Have fun and good luck 

Please realize that the m20’s are really great three people airplanes...ForeFlight has a phenomenal weight and balance option that lets you do a “what if” calculation...it doesn’t take a lot of planning to be able to do three people without much thinking.  Now for four people for an hour flight, you have to plan to have like only 25 gallons total in the plane...and if you happen to have 50 to bad...it takes more than you think to deplane 25 gallons to get weight where you need it.

I have a C model that I keep at 58J which is only about an hour car ride or 20 min plane ride from Columbia.  I would be glad to show it to you and probably take you for a ride.  I have had it about 6 years now and the first Mooney I flew in I owned.  I did a lot of research and in my opinion the C model is the best bang for the buck.  I love simplicity and efficiency and the C model is inexpensive to purchase and maintain, relatively fast 140-145 kts, burning about 9gph, has a good useful load 1000lbs, and can fly over 4 hrs with reserves. I have had 4 people and some baggage in my plane a few times for 1.5 hr or less flights. I have had 3 people and a lot of baggage for a 4 hr flight.  You can cover a lot of ground in 4 hrs in a Mooney.   PM me if you would like to come check it out and really get hooked. 

• Like 1

@SCPilot1161 my experience with a C model matches @Htwjr. I'm in your vicinity occasionally, but my next trip will be on the ground to bring a vehicle back to AL. So unless you're up for a 6-hour followed by a 2 hour flight home, look up htw.

Next time I fly that way, I'll try to remember to reach out to you. 

All,

Thank you for the comments. Definitely a lot of food for thought, specifically about the avionics package. All my training has been in planes with a standard 6-pack plus 1 or 2 VOR's and a 430 (or older/no) GPS. That is probably what I will look for in a plane to purchase. I would really like something with a 430 and an autopilot of some sort although I have never used one. I know it would be nice to have on some longer flights and in actual IFR once I am ticketed (and comfortable flying in it). @carusoam I would love an M20R but it is way out of my budget but the C, E & F models are all realistic possibilities. @Htwjr I have been doing a lot of research on the three models as well and like I really like the simplicity and efficiency the Mooney line offers. Coming from the Piper line though I really like having the throttle quadrant vs the Vernier controls so that kind of limits me to the 69-77 models. Vernier wouldn't be a deal breaker on the right plane but I really prefer the quadrant style controls.

• Like 1