JPI 900 Transducer location on M20J

L39Driver

34 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Bonanza must have an interesting fuel injection system..?

With an automotive style FI system... fuel pressure is maintained no matter how much fuel gets used by the engine... a bunch of excess fuel goes back to the tank...

It would be important to see how much went to the tank and compare how much was sent towards the engine and subtract the two...

As far as I know... I have one FF sensor, and the return line isn’t operational continuously...

But... pull the mixture, turn on the electric pump, ... FF is sent back to the fuel selector and off to the chosen tank... this is used to cool the fuel lines for a hot start...

Some planes, the excess fuel sent back always goes back to one tank... more simple, but more confusing to know where the fuel is at all times...

Looks like I have an opportunity to learn something new... :)

When it comes to liquid flow sensors...

• long 
  • straight
  • entries and exits
  • distances are measured in IDs of the tube...
  • 90° elbows are terrible
  • 45° elbows are better
  • Some flow sensors have a bearing support on the bottom, turning them upside may add a challenge...
  • Stickiness can be a challenge... 100LL likes to form deposits when able...
  • Vents on the FF sensor? Tell me more...
  • Washing the paddle wheel sensor may improve its operation

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I looked after an old 1954 model, it used a Bendix PS5C pressure carburetor which has a fuel return path which had a second transducer in the return line.

Clarence

7 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve only seen this once on a Bonanza that had a pressure carburetor.  All other TCM engine use only one.

Clarence

Now you got me curious. Where does the ff sensor go on a 231?  I assumed it had a fuel return line

2 minutes ago, jetdriven said:
7 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve only seen this once on a Bonanza that had a pressure carburetor.  All other TCM engine use only one.

Clarence

Now you got me curious. Where does the ff sensor go on a 231?  I assumed it had a fuel return line

And if not, how does it account for the return fuel?

Return fuel goes from the pump to the twin spool selector valve and back to the tank.  The transducer is installed in the line between metering unit/ fuel pump and the flow divider, so it only measures fuel going the cylinders.

Clarence

CFC36172-E486-46B5-9561-2BBF6C5C2144.jpeg

83EDC695-B86E-4EC3-A0C2-C3997998C786.jpeg

• 10 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 11:31 PM, bradp said:

Mine is mounted on that little stand off from the sump like in the picture skip put up.  IO-360

Brad,
My J has a Shadin FF tx with a bracket off of the sump similar to Skip's schematic (although mine is installed wires up). We are replacing it as part of a JPI EDM830 install and I'd like to use the firesleeve per JPI instructions, but it doesn't seem possible with that bracket. Does your install use a firesleeve?

20201127_203206.jpg

5 hours ago, 65C_flier said:

Brad,
My J has a Shadin FF tx with a bracket off of the sump similar to Skip's schematic (although mine is installed wires up). We are replacing it as part of a JPI EDM830 install and I'd like to use the firesleeve per JPI instructions, but it doesn't seem possible with that bracket. Does your install use a firesleeve?

20201127_203206.jpg

I believe it has an oversized fire sleeve that’s cut longitudinally and has another cutout for the bottom of the mounting bracket and essentially wraps the Shadin like a sleeping bag. 

^^^^ THIS.

Slit the sleeve and punch mounting holes through it opposite the slit. Bolt the transducer to the bracket through the holes you punched so the sleeve is between the transducer and the bracket. Then wrap the two flaps of the sleeve around the transducer overlapping to make a nice tight wrap and secure with stainless steel cable ties.

Skip

4 hours ago, PT20J said:

^^^^ THIS.

Slit the sleeve and punch mounting holes through it opposite the slit. Bolt the transducer to the bracket through the holes you punched so the sleeve is between the transducer and the bracket. Then wrap the two flaps of the sleeve around the transducer overlapping to make a nice tight wrap and secure with stainless steel cable ties.

Skip

Thanks gents.