Beech 18 on the auction block

flyer338

There is a 1944 Beech 18 at the airport at Yerington NV. There is only one picture, but it looks like all the big parts are there. It is a lien sale by the city. I am sure there is an interesting story. 

https://hibid.com/catalog/197256/city-of-yerington-lien-sale---1944-beech-model-18-airplane/

No control surfaces, lots of missing surface panels, one engine is missing at least one cylinder, the panel and wiring appear to be pretty useless, needs glass, interior, engine control knobs, antennas, etc., etc., etc. 

Not even sure there's scrap value there.

Very sad.   :'(

I loved the few hours I got in the museum C-45 before another pilot ran off the runway in a crosswind and hit a runway distance remaining sign. We patched it up and the ferry pilot ground looped it on landing and killed it (but luckily not himself). It’s a great airplane and was Olive Beech’s favorite. 

There’s a three page post on BeechTalk in the classics section on this plane when it went on the block last year.  It can’t be good when there’s no interest in the plane on that site.    Some over there were familiar with the plane and said $10k would be over value of it.

16 hours ago, PT20J said:

I loved the few hours I got in the museum C-45 before another pilot ran off the runway in a crosswind and hit a runway distance remaining sign. We patched it up and the ferry pilot ground looped it on landing and killed it (but luckily not himself). It’s a great airplane and was Olive Beech’s favorite. 

The CAF here at Falcon Field (KFFZ, AZ) has a C-45 that lately has been getting flown pretty regularly.   You can pay to get a ride on it, and they were selling holiday light tours last month.

https://www.azcaf.org/plane/c-45-expeditor/

11 minutes ago, M20F said:

When you burn more oil per hour than a Mooney burns gas.....

Naw, a gallon per side every five or six hours is all the R-985s burn. But they drip some. They are fun to fly, but can be a bear in a cross wind. You wheel land them and keep the tail up as long as possible, then get it down as fast as you can. Those twin rudders lose effectiveness as the tail descends and they are blanked out behind the wing and directional control is nil until the tail wheel bites the ground. If a crosswind gust catches you when the tail is midway down differential power is all that will save you.

Skip