Anyone convert from plastic vents to eyeballs?

bradp

I’m wondering if anyone has gone through the process of converting the plastic grille style vents to eyeballs on an EFJ? My wife stuck her hand through one and I’m not too interested in repairing it vs potentially making a more robust improvement.  What’s involved? 

I bought 4 Wemacs at the Fly Mart at Oshkosh a while back. They were from a King Air. I cut sheet metal circles and mounted the Wemacs in the center. I glued wool fabric (with cert) to the sheet metal and screwed the circles in place with #4 sheet metal screws. 

Love them, looks great.

I consider it an interior furnishings change, which is allowed.

33 minutes ago, bradp said:

I’m wondering if anyone has gone through the process of converting the plastic grille style vents to eyeballs on an EFJ? My wife stuck her hand through one and I’m not too interested in repairing it vs potentially making a more robust improvement.  What’s involved? 

Mine were upgraded with Jaeger's spatial design. Maybe check with Bruce Jaeger to see if he can sell you the parts.

872110427_Eyeballventfinished.JPG.3744845be4ded926f50c9eeb8474f6d4.JPG

I did replace plastic with eyeballs, too. Not because I like eyeballs more, but because plastic became very brittle over the years. I bought eyeballs along with the liner and replaced them all at the same time. BTW, at that time, I had two spare plastic grills but decided not to install them; instead, I sold them on Ebay. As far as design, eyeballs look better and it is easier to operate them. Very easy to install, too

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Mine were upgraded with Jaeger's spatial design. Maybe check with Bruce Jaeger to see if he can sell you the parts.

872110427_Eyeballventfinished.JPG.3744845be4ded926f50c9eeb8474f6d4.JPG

Yea, that’s pretty much what mine look like. My vents are a little bigger and a little shinier.

My wife just looked over my shoulder and said “you guys always think your things are bigger and shinier”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4