KAP/KFC 150 screen lens replacement

xavierde

On 1/15/2020 at 10:42 PM, carusoam said:

Let’s take a swing here....

@PearceBK got any ideas about where to find replacement plastic parts for a KAP150 face?

Best regards,

-a-

I would call around to our repair partners SEA, and Duncan would be the other calls I would make. 

https://www.bendixking.com/en/pages/repair-partners

I would be interested to see the quote you get from them. 

Cheers, 

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xavierde said:

"The price for replacement is $1,500.00 I was as shocked as you most likely are right now."

Are you sure that was just the lens? 

Anyway, if it were mine, I would take the computer apart and figure out if there is a way to separate the lens and mask from the faceplate and look into having a plastic fabricator make replacements. But, it would also be a good idea to figure out what caused this to happen in the first place.

Skip

The box is quite simple to open once you get it out of the panel.  The static hose on the back can be difficult to remove if it is not long enough to slide the computer out of the panel with it attached. It is very tight behind there ...

Once it is on the bench you can easily remove the top cover.  There is a helpful sticker glued inside that cover that shows exactly how to proceed from there.

BTW $750 to replace the bulbs is ridiculous.  They are standard grain of wheat bulbs that fit into sockets.  You can find the part number on this forum in another post.  They cost around $1 each and are available from Mouser electronics.  One poster suggested replacing all of them while you were in the box.  That way they will all be new at the same time and equally bright.

Sorry I cannot remember how the lens was configured.  It is easily accessible once you get down to the bulbs however.  Good luck with that hose!

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:33 PM, PT20J said:

Check with Mid Continent. They are a Bendix King repair station and may have better parts access. I’ve found them very knowledgable and reasonable on pricing.

Skip

They quoted me over an AMU to replace the ALT bulb in my KAC-150 and to fix the dim KAS-297B. 

Larry at Sarasota Avionics did both for about 0.5AMU including pulling them out and putting them back in.

• Like 1