GFC 500 and G3X Touch Ovation

PMcClure

• 1 month later...

Hello, I want to ask did you have any trouble installing the GFC500 with your AC system?  I'm getting a 1998 M20R with AC and was wanting to upgrade the AP to the GFC500 but read an old (2 years) letter from Garmin saying M20R with AC was not allowed.  

2 minutes ago, Frank Ward said:

Hello, I want to ask did you have any trouble installing the GFC500 with your AC system?  I'm getting a 1998 M20R with AC and was wanting to upgrade the AP to the GFC500 but read an old (2 years) letter from Garmin saying M20R with AC was not allowed.  

No problems that I am aware of. I recall some discussion about condensation from the ac could be an issue but evidently it was resolved without too much concern. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2021 at 4:34 PM, Davidv said:

I have twin G3Xs and while they are old technology they contain every garmin feature out of the box.  It's amazing to me that garmin is able to get away with charging exorbitant amounts for synthetic vision on the G1000 for example. 

It feels like they packed every feature possible into the G3X since it was for experimental and then realized it would be too much of a pain/not in their economic interest to remove features for the certified version.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest benefit is the ability for the G3X to control the other garmin devices such as radios or transponders.  I really like being able to tune new frequencies or the transponder directly from the screen in front of me.

David, can you share a photo of your panel? I’m considering a twin G3X (10 and 7”). Seems to me to be a better option compared to G3x + dual G5 (one AI backup, and the other HSI for second NAV/COM).