GFC 500 and G3X Touch Ovation

PMcClure

I notice that what seems a pretty common installation is G3X and G5 side-by-side on the main panel with the landing gear  switch and override button placed in the upper right but stacked instead of side-by-side as in the original configuration. Every one I have seen has the override button above the gear switch. I'm wondering why? It seems to me that the button would be easier to reach if it were below the gear switch so that the gear switch handle moved away instead of toward the button.

Skip

On 4/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, Davidv said:

FYI if you don’t know already, you can update any of these values in the setup module of the G3X.  Just hold down the menu button on startup and go to the appropriate spot. For instance, I updated my CHT redline to 425 and put in a yellow line at 400.  The standard green to red at 500 didn’t make much sense to me. 

The GFC500 setup menus are in there too so you can update the bank angles, attack angles, speeds ect before ESP kicks in.  

I stand corrected, i was able to adjust this setting. Thank you. Not sure why my shop told me it was not able.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, PT20J said:

I notice that what seems a pretty common installation is G3X and G5 side-by-side on the main panel with the landing gear  switch and override button placed in the upper right but stacked instead of side-by-side as in the original configuration. Every one I have seen has the override button above the gear switch. I'm wondering why? It seems to me that the button would be easier to reach if it were below the gear switch so that the gear switch handle moved away instead of toward the button.

Skip

Mine is a G500 TXi with the G5 to the right but with the landing gear switch and override button in the original positions (side by side).  There was no fitment issue for me.

1 hour ago, 201Mooniac said:

Mine is a G500 TXi with the G5 to the right but with the landing gear switch and override button in the original positions (side by side).  There was no fitment issue for me.

Did you put the G5 under the landing gear switch, or were you able to get the G500TXi, G5 and switch/override all side by side? 

Skip

On 4/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, PT20J said:

I notice that what seems a pretty common installation is G3X and G5 side-by-side on the main panel with the landing gear  switch and override button placed in the upper right but stacked instead of side-by-side as in the original configuration. Every one I have seen has the override button above the gear switch.

Skip

That was the original configuration of all the steam panel long body aircraft. The late model mid body aircraft and the gx long body had it off to the side. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone want to talk me into the 10" display instead of dual G5s?  I've been reflecting and find I prefer the 4 supporting round gauges plus the digital AI/DG and not sure I could interpret the tapes as my only flight info. 

• Like 1

10" is a great display -- but more expensive and you still have to keep one G5 as a backup.  Once you get used to the tapes it is a non-issue.  Even less of an issue on a larger display like the 10".  I started on an Aspen with backup round gages.  I eventually had to cover up the round gages to force myself to learn the tapes.  Now, I hardly look at the round gages.  It's a lot more money for the upgrade but you get a lot more panel and the option to add an integrated engine monitor.  Needed - no.  Cool - yes.

Garmin is 5 months backorder on the 10" G3X so plan ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

If I had to do it again, id probably take the G3X over the TXI. Cheaper, more user friendly, and can run the GFC500. If youre keeping a KFC, kd probably take the TXI over the GFC500.

thanks -- getting the GFC500

54 minutes ago, Warren said:

keep one G5 as a backup

i'm getting the GI-275 which although smaller and more expensive, has higher resolution, and can show mapping, terrain, ADS-B WX and Traffic

4 hours ago, NJMac said:

Does anyone want to talk me into the 10" display instead of dual G5s?  I've been reflecting and find I prefer the 4 supporting round gauges plus the digital AI/DG and not sure I could interpret the tapes as my only flight info. 

G3X is the latest technology. It’s well integrated with the G5 for backup. You can get an engine monitor as an option and you get a moving map. 

Garmin is having supply issues with the 10.6” displays. Mine was ordered in May and delivery has slipped to late August. I understand Garmin is now quoting 20 weeks. 

Skip

• Like 1

Just now, PT20J said:

G3X is the latest technology. It’s well integrated with the G5 for backup. You can get an engine monitor as an option and you get a moving map. 

Garmin is having supply issues with the 10.6” displays. Mine was ordered in May and delivery has slipped to late August. I understand Garmin is now quoting 20 weeks. 

Skip

TXI is latest. G3X tech is from 2012ish? However that was experimental. I personally like the G3X more.

3 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

TXI is latest. G3X tech is from 2012ish? However that was experimental. I personally like the G3X more.

I have twin G3Xs and while they are old technology they contain every garmin feature out of the box.  It's amazing to me that garmin is able to get away with charging exorbitant amounts for synthetic vision on the G1000 for example. 

It feels like they packed every feature possible into the G3X since it was for experimental and then realized it would be too much of a pain/not in their economic interest to remove features for the certified version.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest benefit is the ability for the G3X to control the other garmin devices such as radios or transponders.  I really like being able to tune new frequencies or the transponder directly from the screen in front of me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I know it is entirely subjective so I'm not at all saying you are wrong but I find the display on the TXi to be much easier on my old eyes.  I agree from a feature point of view, if you don't need the interoperability, that the G3X is a better value. 

I am still very happy with the G3X/G5 and 750 and GFC 500. Excellent operations and not one bit of trouble in over 100 hours of flying. I cannot imagine any capability that I am missing with the set up I have. 

But I would look harder at the TXi compared to the G3X if I had to do it over. The G3X was a better value based on the rack rate. But by the time I added the engine monitor and had to upgrade fuel sender units because the original are not compatible with the G3X, I wonder if I saved anything. At least quote them both and make an informed decision. 

To be fair, i honestly think whichever one you go with, you will love. I doubt you'll be able to differ. The big difference is one drives a garmin autopilot, and one drives a KFC. They are both pretty screens with tons of bright and shiny colours that make your life easier to fly, and make your plane look cool. Which ever one you go with, you won't regret getting one over the other. I've seen the TXI display, and honestly even though it is "crisper" in a sense, I don't have trouble reading either of them. 

People will recommend whatever they have. Steven, don kaye, and 201mooniac will recommend the TXI because thats what they have and payed for. DavidV, PMc, and me will recommend the G3X, because thats what we have. In the end, its practically the same thing. 

• Like 1

The one detail you may want to check while selecting the screen…

What connections they both have… or don’t have…

One of the choices may have one or two less options to connect to…

Fuzzy memories at best…

Kind of like selecting a surround sound amp…  look at the back to see how many inputs of what kind are back there… compare to all the gizmos you expect to connect…   :)

For fun… compare to the Dynon offering…

Best regards,

-a-

When I made my upgrade decision, I started with the autopilot. In three years, I repaired my intermittent KAP 150 computer twice and replaced it with a used unit when it failed the third time. So, I wanted a GFC 500 for reliability. The G3X is “newer” in the sense that in incorporates GFC 500 autopilot logic and integrates directly with the G5 standby. This means that you always have the autopilot if either the G5 or G3X fail. 

I believe that the TXi has more 3rd party interfaces and is going to the better choice if you want to integrate with non-Garmin equipment especially autopilots. If you use it with a GFC 500, you’ll need a G5 or GI 275 to drive the autopilot and you won’t have the redundancy if that device fails. 

Skip

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, PT20J said:

When I made my upgrade decision, I started with the autopilot. In three years, I repaired my intermittent KAP 150 computer twice and replaced it with a used unit when it failed the third time. So, I wanted a GFC 500 for reliability. The G3X is “newer” in the sense that in incorporates GFC 500 autopilot logic and integrates directly with the G5 standby. This means that you always have the autopilot if either the G5 or G3X fail. 

I believe that the TXi has more 3rd party interfaces and is going to the better choice if you want to integrate with non-Garmin equipment especially autopilots. If you use it with a GFC 500, you’ll need a G5 or GI 275 to drive the autopilot and you won’t have the redundancy if that device fails. 

Skip

This was my thinking, too. It all started with replacing the unreliable KI256 and Servo's on the KFC225. Every 18 months and 2x in IMC, I was done. Once you start tearing it apart, you can consider the options - G3X/TXi, dual G5's,  GI275 and consider new nav/coms, etc... It's all about what you can afford or want to spend and how much you can/want to integrate devices. 

I remember buying my 1st flat screen TV and was debating over 2 models. The salesman asked me what I had now and I told him a 20 year old 32" tube TV. He told me it didn't matter, either one would be so far superior to what I was used to that I would be happy and he was right. That lesson seems to apply here as well. 

I do worry about future obsolescence. Even at 8-10 years old, the G3X is getting old in tech terms.  How are these units going to age? And how long will Garmin support them?

Paul 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PMcClure said:

I do worry about future obsolescence. Even at 8-10 years old, the G3X is getting old in tech terms.  How are these units going to age? And how long will Garmin support them?

I’m not too worried about that. Garmin seems to be selling a lot of G3X/G5/GFC 500 systems. They did a nice job of designing this combo to work together as a system. For single engine piston airplanes, it seems pretty well optimized. Once Garmin sells a lot of this combination, it will certainly support it for a reasonable period. It’s the products that don’t sell well that end up with support issues. The GNS 430W is still supported and look how long it’s been around and how many have been sold.

And, just because the TXi has come to market fairly recently and the G3X experimental has been around for a while doesn’t necessarily mean much. Just as the TXi is different from the older G500, the G3X certified has probably evolved some over time. Manufacturers usually try to keep parts commonality high between products. Garmin doesn’t share much detail about what’s inside their products. To really do a fair technology comparison, you’d have to tear down both products and look at the components. Internally, they may not be that much different.

Skip