GFC 500 and G3X Touch Ovation

PMcClure

2 hours ago, PMcClure said:

Considering adding a GTN750, Flight Stream 510 (connects iPad to 750) and removing my 530w. That is some serious project creep. Any thoughts from users of the 750 and flight stream? Any experience selling 530w? Seems like they have been going from $7500 - $10k on ebay. 

Another question - keep the OEM clock/timer?

Up to your budget I think. Mid-continent sells a "nice" clock which has USB ports: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/mci_10-06963.php?clickkey=6755589

18 minutes ago, louisut said:

Up to your budget I think. Mid-continent sells a "nice" clock which has USB ports: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/mci_10-06963.php?clickkey=6755589

Budget is kinda broke now anyway! Looking for some PIREPS from folks who have migrated from GNS to GTN series. 

I like the 750 and 530. Call me old fashioned but prefer to do the simple things on the 430/530. However, the 750 is very intuitive and easy to get around (if you trade data fields for direct access buttons). The large screen is really nice as well. Used prices for the 750 have settled into the 11.5 to 12 range which is a small delta IMO from the 530w prices. At this time we’re planning on upgrading to the xi but in all honesty there is very little to be gained. 

FWIW--I don't have a clock/timer except for the one on the G3x.  I have that at the top of the screen, easy to tap, start, reset, and the elapsed time is right there centered above the ADI.

I doubt I'd ever use one anywhere else even if I'd kept it....I wouldn't spend any money adding one for sure!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PMcClure said:

Another question for you guys - how many of you use both XM and ADSB weather? Not sure I need to keep the XM weather services when I have ADSB and iPad connected to phone (for ground information). 

I dropped my subscription weather after using the ADS-B weather for 6 months. For the type of flying I do, it did not provide enough difference and value. BUT I still have my Stormscope and watch it religiously whenever needed. Between it, the FIS-B weather, talking with ATC, and looking outside the plane, I have the comfort level I want for my type of flying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PMcClure said:

Another question for you guys - how many of you use both XM and ADSB weather? Not sure I need to keep the XM weather services when I have ADSB and iPad connected to phone (for ground information). 

Legend has it that the XM Radio ID on the GDL69A can be cancelled and then re-subscribed for a "Marine" Skywatch weather package for your "boat". You get Nexrad, Metars and area forecasts for $14.99 per month (used to be $9.99 per month). At least if you ever lose ADS-B coverage or if you want to compare, you have it. The XM music subscription is also cheaper if you have a weather subscription.

https://www.siriusxm.com/wmwxpackages

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, PMcClure said:

Considering adding a GTN750, Flight Stream 510 (connects iPad to 750) and removing my 530w. That is some serious project creep. Any thoughts from users of the 750 and flight stream? Any experience selling 530w? Seems like they have been going from $7500 - $10k on ebay. 

Another question - keep the OEM clock/timer?

The 750 with the FS510 but is not as “necessary” as with a twist-knob GPS.  

that said, FS510, a 750 and a 345 coupled to an iPad is about as bees knees as it gets for me in regard to panel plus portable. 

8 minutes ago, 81X said:

The 750 with the FS510 but is not as “necessary” as with a twist-knob GPS.  

that said, FS510, a 750 and a 345 coupled to an iPad is about as bees knees as it gets for me in regard to panel plus portable. 

Agree and gave the shop the go ahead today and also adding the gma 35c remote integrated audio panel.

Below is a pretty good video on a similar set up in an RV.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PMcClure said:

Keep in mind that XM is available in all areas, where ADS/B is still subject to coverage gaps.  I’d suggest keeping XM. 

40 minutes ago, 81X said:

Considering adding a GTN750, Flight Stream 510 (connects iPad to 750) and removing my 530w. That is some serious project creep. Any thoughts from users of the 750 and flight stream? Any experience selling 530w? Seems like they have been going from $7500 - $10k on ebay.  Another question - keep the OEM clock/timer?

The 750 is amazing...for more intuitive than the 530W, but what’s odd still is the cult following that 430W/530W still seem to have.  Good condition 530W units are fetching exactly what you’re mentioning.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Avionics Shop ran into a problem today. The holes on the trim torque tube and servo don't match. Garmin suggested contacting the factory for a new tube :(. Lewis and Don Maxwell are talking, but I thought I would through this out to the group. Any ideas?

Torque Tube: P/N 740192-007

Universal Joint: P/N 740009-007

766014411_ScreenShot2020-03-16at12_02_53PM.thumb.png.a7c4030728fa27908a8cd318748849ed.png

6 hours ago, PMcClure said:

Avionics Shop ran into a problem today. The holes on the trim torque tube and servo don't match. Garmin suggested contacting the factory for a new tube :(. Lewis and Don Maxwell are talking, but I thought I would through this out to the group. Any ideas?

Torque Tube: P/N 740192-007

Universal Joint: P/N 740009-007

BAS Parts Sales in Colorado is parting out a Bravo. It uses the same Torque Tube: https://www.ebay.com/itm/740192-007-Mooney-M20M-Stabilizer-Control-Tube-Aft/254528951453?hash=item3b431b949d:g:zLYAAOSwLGdeXRXo

6 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Can you swap the tube end-for-end and then just put new holes in it?

We discussed that  - but think it is not a good idea since we are drilling more holes and decreasing the strength. Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

BAS Parts Sales in Colorado is parting out a Bravo. It uses the same Torque Tube: https://www.ebay.com/itm/740192-007-Mooney-M20M-Stabilizer-Control-Tube-Aft/254528951453?hash=item3b431b949d:g:zLYAAOSwLGdeXRXo

Saw this one too, but not sure the holes will line up either.  I understand that the holes are drilled at installation and not with a jig?

12 hours ago, PMcClure said:

We discussed that  - but think it is not a good idea since we are drilling more holes and decreasing the strength. Thoughts?

Saw this one too, but not sure the holes will line up either.  I understand that the holes are drilled at installation and not with a jig?

From what I understand, the holes are drilled at installation, not using a jig. So one shaft, may not (probably) will not fit another plane. Seems like poor planning or knowledge from Garmin and a burden to upgrade a lot of legacy planes in the field. 

1 hour ago, PMcClure said:

From what I understand, the holes are drilled at installation, not using a jig. So one shaft, may not (probably) will not fit another plane. Seems like poor planning or knowledge from Garmin and a burden to upgrade a lot of legacy planes in the field. 

How have all of these other Mooneys had GFC500 installs?

2 minutes ago, Stanton R said:

I just looked at the install manual and it looks like you are trying to put the gear on backward. The gear should be should be closer to the middle instead of the end.

Don't pay any attention to that - just showing how the hub and gear slide over the tube. Thanks for watching out for us anyway. Mooneyspace doesn't miss much!

• 1 month later...

I am getting close to flying again!! Could use some help from other ovation owners. Could you confirm your idle and full power fuel flow and what your K factor is? We sold the JPI without getting that information recorded (my fault) and are trying to get it reset in the new system. 

Ovation 2 280hp. 

Thanks!

I am getting close to flying again!! Could use some help from other ovation owners. Could you confirm your idle and full power fuel flow and what your K factor is? We sold the JPI without getting that information recorded (my fault) and are trying to get it reset in the new system. 

Ovation 2 280hp. 

Thanks!

the K factor is a function of the transducer, and probably marked on it. The fuel flow should be set up IAW the Continental SB for fuel metering, I dont have that SB handy, but I am sure you could hunt it down.

Aw what the heck, ..here ya go! 

Continental injection_Service-Bulletins-and-ADS_SID97-3G.pdf

• Like 1

Ovation 2 280hp. 

Thanks!

K factor is 14.9. idle FF is like 2 gph. On a 280hp plane, id guess the fuel flow should be around 25 to 26 gallons.

• Like 1