New Garmin GI275 think round G5's

c177tx

54 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Lots of possibilities with these.  My favorite idea is using one as a nice, always-on, dedicated traffic display in the panel without having to buy the whole GTN 650 / GNX 375 / GNC 355 / GPS 175.

TRAFFIC-AND-WEATHER-dd01e81d-8ab7-4475-8815-6c5a54fbe788.jpg

I don't think you will be so lucky - its just a display, needs to be fed the information from the other boxes.

Aerodon

Typical of Garmin, did you notice that it only lists Garmin products for GPS source?  I guess if you have Avidyne or some other system you are out of luck.  I am still planning to wait for the Dynon autopilot approval and then install the full HDX system.

• Thanks 1

This will be a great option for twin owners that want to keep their current AP’s going. My guess is it uses communication protocols that are similar to the txi so no gad 29b will be needed to interface with the navigator. This is the box everyone was clamoring for, it’ll be interesting if the price point (once the interface adapter or unlock is added) will scare some off. 

With a couple of hours behind the 8" Skyview screen divided into thirds.....   Located in the center com stack.   I find that the print is too small.    Maybe someone should make the STC magnifying glass that can go over the top of this.

• Like 1

It appears to be replacing almost all the primary instruments. That's nice! 
See-integrated-engine-DESKTOP-V3-20191002_Support_AVN_1458_RGB-5e7dea3d-69b6-41a0-8c96-5692399babbd.jpg

Have you looked at the prices? Those 4 units alone based on the “starting at” prices listed on the Garmin site will run you $11k. Add in the GADs, you probably are pushing $15k.

I wonder what this does to the G5 business. Orphan the product?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, MilitaryAV8R said:

Typical of Garmin, did you notice that it only lists Garmin products for GPS source?  I guess if you have Avidyne or some other system you are out of luck.  I am still planning to wait for the Dynon autopilot approval and then install the full HDX system.

All Avidyne will have to do is test it, do the paperwork and add it to their STC, just like they did with the GTX345 and the G5.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Have you looked at the prices? Those 4 units alone based on the “starting at” prices listed on the Garmin site will run you $11k. Add in the GADs, you probably are pushing $15k.

I wonder what this does to the G5 business. Orphan the product?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It appears you can replace the primary instruments with just the Attitude Indicator and HSI. Wish I could have done that with my G5s install I just completed. My JPI 900 along with these would have been nice and wouldn't have been that much more. It also seems to support and drive the GFC 500. 

Only advantage a G5 will have is you can buy them over the counter. These appear to be dealer install only but I could be wrong. 

DUAL ADVANTAGES

With dual GI 275 displays3 as your primary flight instrumentation, reversionary backup capability retains attitude and heading data4 on the remaining HSI or MFD if an outage should occur.

3 Both GI 275 units must be ADAHRS versions to support reversionary capability
4 Optional equipment may be required

This looks like a very interesting solution - I would have gotten one of these for sure last Feb when my KI256 went belly up.

The list of compatible autopilots is up.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/gi275_autopilot_compatibility.pdf

My KFC200 is on the list. http://static.garmin.com/pumac/gi275_autopilot_compatibility.pdf

The only thing conspicuously missing is the GFC500.  If this is true, this STILL doesn't serve as a stepping stone.  Buy these units one at a time to replace the gyro's rather than as a complete panel remake, and then perhaps get a GFC500 at some point down the road.

One question I also have is, how easy did they make these to install?  Plug and play?  Something less than a panel tear down to mitigate install costs?

Well if I'm looking at it correctly, the A/P link is working now and it appears to work and provide attitude information to my KAP150...

Unless I'm wrong, this could allow me to ditch my gyro and still have a functioning autopilot without a 20-30k upgrade.

2 minutes ago, JimB said:

It appears you can replace the primary instruments with just the Attitude Indicator and HSI. Wish I could have done that with my G5s install I just completed. My JPI 900 along with these would have been nice and wouldn't have been that much more. It also seems to support and drive the GFC 500. 

Where do you see it can drive the GFC500?

I am looking at this list and it only mentioned GFC600 - which is not available for the Mooney.

Just now, aviatoreb said:

Where do you see it can drive the GFC500?

I am looking at this list and it only mentioned GFC600 - which is not available for the Mooney.

My mistake. I "assumed" it would. But at the bottom of the autopilot list "GFC 500 support is expected later in 2020"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I think that would be a misuse of these little units.  I would more likely buy 2 if I were did this.  One for the KI256 and one for the HSI.  $8300 plus GADs?  What GADs does it need?

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I think that would be a misuse of these little units.  I would more likely buy 2 if I were did this.  One for the KI256 and one for the HSI.  $8300 plus GADs?  What GADs does it need?

Agreed, these units are addressing the market for people who don't want to spend 10s of thousands just to replace one malfunctioning unit.  I don't think they intended someone to build a cockpit full of round glass.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

This looks like a very interesting solution - I would have gotten one of these for sure last Feb when my KI256 went belly up.

The list of compatible autopilots is up.

My KFC200 is on the list. http://static.garmin.com/pumac/gi275_autopilot_compatibility.pdf

The only thing conspicuously missing is the GFC500.  If this is true, this STILL doesn't serve as a stepping stone.  Buy these units one at a time to replace the gyro's rather than as a complete panel remake, and then perhaps get a GFC500 at some point down the road.

One question I also have is, how easy did they make these to install?  Plug and play?  Something less than a panel tear down to mitigate install costs?

See the note at the bottom of the table.  GFC500 support expected later in 2020.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Lance was leading earlier...

with the post at the end of this thread...

Right - and I started that thread in Feb 2019.  When my Swiss Watch - my KI256 - died - and at that time if this new Garmin thing were available - I would have purchased it - instead unable to decide which way to go, I overhauled my KI256.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Agreed, these units are addressing the market for people who don't want to spend 10s of thousands just to replace one malfunctioning unit.  I don't think they intended someone to build a cockpit full of round glass.

Allowing someone to simply replace a traditional round steam gauge is huge.  

• Like 2