Skydvrboy’s owner assist annual questions

Today's question, seat rails. My passenger side seat rail has one more set of holes than my pilot side. These holes are nearly as far back as the seat will go. This allows the seat to catch before it goes too far back. 
On the pilot side without these holes the seat goes all the way back. More than once I've pulled the seat of the rails when alluding forward. 
Which set is correct? Is there something that is missing that should keep the seat from going all the way back? My IA didn't like the idea of drilling another set of holes in the pilot rail to make it match. With that answer I didn't bother asking about another set of holes half way back. 
Passenger side
FC522E15-BCDA-425A-B906-EF8C6B09ADED.jpeg.29b27d2b9b2b3f88c7cedd429c758a77.jpeg
Pilot side
20187CC7-3973-4E74-8F07-3A861E9D1857.jpeg.bfa1ecdd20762e90b1046948dc78bd60.jpeg

Mooney specifies a pair of cotter pins in the inside seat rails to prevent the seats from going to far forward or to far back. You’ll find horizontal holes in the side of the inside rails to place the cotter pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

While focused on the seat track...

+1 on the cotter pins...  after midnight yesterday... I couldn’t find the word... :)

Check the holes for how much dirt they have collected... some seats have filled some of the holes...

While there take a look at the rollers on the seat... they are originally that brown thermoset polymer material with paper fiber to make it a composite...  after midnight today, this word isn’t coming to mind...

Make sure all the wheels are in good shape... when they break, the axle rides on the seat track causing a number of problems...

PP thoughts only, the follow-up annuals get easier and easier... as you learn all the steps...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I would be interested to know if the passenger side are even usable by the locking pins.   The only way I could see them be usable would be to turn the seat around and possibly used for a car seat for kids.   Or playing cards with the rear seat passengers.   Or make a pretty comfy bed if you have the folding rear seat.

No I would not drill the pilot side that far back.

See if there is a rivet in the bottom of them.

They don't seem factory since they don't seem square on the rail.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kortopates said:

Mooney specifies a pair of cotter pins in the inside seat rails to prevent the seats from going to far forward or to far back. You’ll find horizontal holes in the side of the inside rails to place the cotter pins.

And if I remember correctly, they are called out as stainless cotter pins. In the J model, they replaced them with screws and nuts with plastic inserts.

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

I would be interested to know if the passenger side are even usable by the locking pins.   The only way I could see them be usable would be to turn the seat around and possibly used for a car seat for kids.   Or playing cards with the rear seat passengers.   Or make a pretty comfy bed if you have the folding rear seat.

No I would not drill the pilot side that far back.

See if there is a rivet in the bottom of them.

They don't seem factory since they don't seem square on the rail.

The passenger seat locks into those rear holes just a 1/4" or so before the rear wheels disengage from the rail.  We found the hole for the cotter pin on the pilot side, but it seemed too far forward to be of any use.  I'll try it and see.

I never thought of putting the seat in backwards.  I could see passengers appreciating that on a long trip and playing crazy 8's or go fish to pass the time.