Anything new from Avidyne ?

Airways

10 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Nah - I just bought my own plane again and I don't rent. But the planes that are available here to rent are...ugly beasts.  Which is part of what me going toward the road of owning my own plane 13 years ago.  I figured if I was going to spend lots of money it should be for something nice.

But seriously - is that what most people see nearby is lovely rental airplanes?

E

Check out this C172 for only $116 hr wet. https://www.plusoneflyers.org/fleet/montgomery-fleet/item/105-n3386e  EDM 900, GFC-500, GTN-650, FlightStream and Powerflow. This is popular and typical for instrument rating students in SOCAL. The average plane won't have the GFC-500 yet and may only have an EDM-830, but the C172's in this club and usually far superior to your typical Vintage Mooney. And all I mean by that is that since many Mooney pilots buy a Vintage Mooney to do their instrument training in, whom do you think is getting a better education for flying IFR in today's NAS? 

But I totally agree with you wrt to once you make the decision to buy, I too wanted to get something much better than I could rent. Its very true here in SOCAL that I can rent a nicely equipped plane much cheaper per hour than own it - especially if not flying more than 100 hrs. I just wouldn't have exclusive access and would be prevented from flying it anywhere I want including dirt strips and Mexico and Central America. One pays a premium for having exclusive access and I am happy to do so.

From what I read here, most of the country doesn't have such good economical renting options.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Nah - I just bought my own plane again and I don't rent. But the planes that are available here to rent are...ugly beasts.  Which is part of what me going toward the road of owning my own plane 13 years ago.  I figured if I was going to spend lots of money it should be for something nice.

But seriously - is that what most people see nearby is lovely rental airplanes?

E

I flew rental fuel-injected 172s when they were new. Rental G1000s. Mooneys, Bonanzas, Cirrus, Diamonds with synthetic vision.Older airplanes with modern GTNs. As an example, I teach at a smaller flight school with mostly older Cherokees, but most of them have modern avionics, especially those reserved for instrument training,

Lovely? Some. Not all. Many of the older ones could use a new coat of paint and some work on the seat upholstery. Some I have come across have definitely been junk, but it was easy to avoid those

That's been my experience with rentals in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Colorado, California, Florida, and North Carolina over the course of 30 years.

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The cost of the components to manufacture the box have very little to do with the price of the unit. The cost of overhead to run the company has to be divided over the number of units sold.

Agreed completely.  But one more factor goes into cost - a smart company will try and gauge what price they think they can get away with selling the number of units they wish to sell and therefore the profit they want to maximize.

Consider this item, I noticed yesterday which is an "extra" purchase one probably wants if installing a GI275.  It is a temp probe wire.  I bet it costs them $10 to make marginal cost.  They probably price it based on their guess of a buyer's psychology, if they are already $5 or $6 into a project why stop for a measly $xx more to make the install what they really want - and after probably sitting around a table, some executives made up a number and said xx=419.

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/gtp59

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo, I was talking to an Avidyne rep at Heli Expo 2020 today and told him how much I loved their product. The conversation shifted to my possible panel upgrade I’m considering. I told him I was considering getting a Dynon Skyview HDX. I jokingly asked if Avidyne was going to come out with anything and he suggested I wait until Oshkosh at which point they will be coming out with a new product but declined to provide any further details.  I asked if it was worth waiting on my panel upgrade and he said I should wait.  So take that for what its worth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Maybe Avidyne is getting in the aftermarket EFIS business to compete with Dynon and Garmin.

I don't why Aspen hasn't done this already. I was  at an  aviation trade show probably 10 years ago or more when a person doing the demo  messed up and shows me an engine monitor display. He was  very illusive when I started peppering him with questions. Had Aspen figured out a way that included a FAA approved GPS in their units. So you didn't already have to have a external faa approved GPS source . I.e Garmin or avidyne. They would had a much larger portion of the G5 market.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Exactly :D.... not.

While the Aspens were getting long in the tooth and were ripe for a screen and processor upgrade, the IFD's and all the recently obsoleted Garmin products like the GTN's (new Txi versions) and the G5 (todays announcement) are still fresh and really have no need for a hardware upgrade.

With every new announcement, Garmin is generating buyers remorse. Avidyne on the other hand, is handing out freebies with every new release. My IFD just keeps getting better and better. On the other hand, my G5 is now ready for the bin because the new stuff is in a new piece of hardware. AND I have to throw out my panel as well since the new shit is a different shape!

No thanks, Avidyne/Aspen/PSEngineering/JPI = Best of Breed

I’m not sure the GTN750txi obsoleted the GTN750, it’s just a mild refresh.  It should have been a planned update to the model that’s been out ten years now. 

While the Aspens were getting long in the tooth and were ripe for a screen and processor upgrade, the IFD's and all the recently obsoleted Garmin products like the GTN's (new Txi versions) and the G5 (todays announcement) are still fresh and really have no need for a hardware upgrade.

With every new announcement, Garmin is generating buyers remorse. Avidyne on the other hand, is handing out freebies with every new release. My IFD just keeps getting better and better. On the other hand, my G5 is now ready for the bin because the new stuff is in a new piece of hardware. AND I have to throw out my panel as well since the new shit is a different shape!

I’m not sure the GTN750txi obsoleted the GTN750, it’s just a mild refresh.  It should have been a planned update to the model that’s been out ten years now. 

2 hours ago, jamesm said:

I don't why Aspen hasn't done this already. I was  at an  aviation trade show probably 10 years ago or more when a person doing the demo  messed up and shows me an engine monitor display. He was  very illusive when I started peppering him with questions. Had Aspen figured out a way that included a FAA approved GPS in their units. So you didn't already have to have a external faa approved GPS source . I.e Garmin or avidyne. They would had a much larger portion of the G5 market.

I really like the three screens on my Aspens - I can set it up with whatever I want to see on three different screens. I can use the entire screen on one unit, or a small portion or half. It is very flexible. The large single screens on other units are beautiful to look at, but I find the flexibility of the Aspens more useful. All of the units are great though compared to what we had just a few years .

• Like 1

Sensors, processor, code, screen.   This is why I opted for the integrated vs segmented independent screen route.  There is a thing with Gas Control Rooms called Control Room Management.    It has to do with focusing the controllers screen time on things that are important at the time they are important.

I wasn't trying to put  down Aspen I just wished they had a solution to FAA approved  GPS signal source when I was in the market. That was the thing that turn me away from them.  Because would have meant that  I would had to put  down probably 10k to 15K to get an FAA approved  GPS signal source before I spent another 10k to 15K to get the aspen installed and the fact they won't allow an A&P to install them had to be an approved installer. If they would  have had a simplified the installation process to cut down on the installation cost and allow A&P's to install them that probably would have gone down  that route.   I am not trilled with Garmin's UI it is a little better from past unit but still room for a lot of improvement. I will certainly give Garmin calibration and installation process of  the G5's  thumbs up it is awesome and simple.  The part that sucks is the sticker shock  you get  when you go to get the IFR Cert done  every couple of years.   Having 2 g5's and altimeter and encoder they really rake you over the coals. I had put it off for many years  on getting my IFR cert because claimed I wasn't  flying in IFR conditions. I have start to re think since I am considering on getting my instrument rating.

For some reason I tend to be the the guy that buy's the orphaned and abandoned product lines trying to stay away from closed sourced vendors who have the mentality of we don't play well with other's companies .

On 1/29/2020 at 7:02 PM, jamesm said:

IFor some reason I tend to be the the guy that buy's the orphaned and abandoned product lines trying to stay away from closed sourced vendors who have the mentality of we don't play well with other's companies .

I bought a Magellan hand held GPS one time.  Worked well but more people have Garmin.    Even the Avidyne GUI is not that great for what they charge.  It's hard to get excited on spending $20K for a blah interface.