Anything new from Avidyne ?

Airways

6 hours ago, Airways said:

I was more thinking of a hardware update. Like Aspen did with the MAX. Higher resolution, different processor,...

You know, the thing that makes you wish you waited another week before ordering an IFD540 :D

Using the IFD550, the display has great resolution and there’s no lag with the processor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Airways said:

I was more thinking of a hardware update. Like Aspen did with the MAX. Higher resolution, different processor,...

You know, the thing that makes you wish you waited another week before ordering an IFD540 :D

Exactly :D.... not.

While the Aspens were getting long in the tooth and were ripe for a screen and processor upgrade, the IFD's and all the recently obsoleted Garmin products like the GTN's (new Txi versions) and the G5 (todays announcement) are still fresh and really have no need for a hardware upgrade.

With every new announcement, Garmin is generating buyers remorse. Avidyne on the other hand, is handing out freebies with every new release. My IFD just keeps getting better and better. On the other hand, my G5 is now ready for the bin because the new stuff is in a new piece of hardware. AND I have to throw out my panel as well since the new shit is a different shape!

No thanks, Avidyne/Aspen/PSEngineering/JPI = Best of Breed

• Like 7

TBH Garmin did add some value to the GTNs with software updates, for example the approach guidance to VFR-only fields.  While this might not be an issue stateside, with a field with an instrument approach within a stone's throw, it is over here, and the OBS trick, while useful, is much more prone to human errors than what the GTNs provide.

But I'd also rather buy an IFD than a GTN, just because I've been buying AMD instead of Intel most of the time.

Edited by tmo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

With every new announcement, Garmin is generating buyers remorse. Avidyne on the other hand, is handing out freebies with every new release. My IFD just keeps getting better and better. 

That’s funny. So does the GTN: visual approaches, vnav guidance, non publish holds, etc..and all free.  This is business as usual.

• Like 2

And so, once again, we have a "mine is bigger than yours" fight.

Absolutely, Garmin trumps all! IFD’s still can’t do all the approaches that Garmin GTN’s can do.
I know, in all seriousness these discussions are at least 50% fake news with each us merely expressing our brand preference, loyalty etc. In truth, I am very thankful for as many avionics manufacturers as we have, but IMO there is no question which is superior, especially the more glass you have in your panel the less tolerant you are about integration issues (current and future) with multiple vendors since every vendor provides updates. Then there’s market share concerns too. By far, Garmin dominates the market followed by Aspen. Avidyne must be very small from what I experience. These are merely my personal preferences and concerns, but as a technology guy I haven’t seen a box I didn’t like since Garmin and Apollo introduced their first approach capable IFR boxes - GNS’s and CNX. It’s all been amazing stuff since. And the best part is that it’s becoming more and more accessible to the vintage fleet. I say that because it dismays me to see the typical vintage Mooney equipped far below the rental C172 and PA28’s with the vast majority equipped with GTN-650’s and many with GFC-500’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Absolutely, Garmin trumps all! IFD’s still can’t do all the approaches that Garmin GTN’s can do.
I know, in all seriousness these discussions are at least 50% fake news with each us merely expressing our brand preference, loyalty etc. In truth, I am very thankful for as many avionics manufacturers as we have, but IMO there is no question which is superior, especially the more glass you have in your panel the less tolerant you are about integration issues (current and future) with multiple vendors since every vendor provides updates. Then there’s market share concerns too. By far, Garmin dominates the market followed by Aspen. Avidyne must be very small from what I experience. These are merely my personal preferences and concerns, but as a technology guy I haven’t seen a box I didn’t like since Garmin and Apollo introduced their first approach capable IFR boxes - GNS’s and CNX. It’s all been amazing stuff since. And the best part is that it’s becoming more and more accessible to the vintage fleet. I say that because it dismays me to see the typical vintage Mooney equipped far below the rental C172 and PA28’s with the vast majority equipped with GTN-650’s and many with GFC-500’s.

Well, the one area where Garmin has a definite leg up is as a one-stop integrated solution. If you have TXI PFD and  a GTN and a Garmin digital autopilot, you have an add-in package equivalent to a G1000/GFC700 integrated flight deck.

But stop short of that and you have  the equivalent of JerryW trying to figure out why his old analog autopilot doesn't fly the VNAV stepdowns announced by his TXI/750 combo, and ultimately capture the RNAV glidepath all by itself and Garmin loses the advantage.

Don't get me wrong. I've been using Garmin since handhelds and am mentally integrated into its flow, so I tend to prefer it (although I don't like Garmin Pilot even though it too follows the "Garmin flow." But I have friends who fly Avidyne and I've learned enough about its flow to be thoroughly impressed.

i'm pretty agnostic when it comes to this stuff,.

• Like 1

Well, the one area where Garmin has a definite leg up is as a one-stop integrated solution. If you have TXI PFD and  a GTN and a Garmin digital autopilot, you have an add-in package equivalent to a G1000/GFC700 integrated flight deck.
But stop short of that and you have  the equivalent of JerryW trying to figure out why his old analog autopilot doesn't fly the VNAV stepdowns announced by his TXI/750 combo, and ultimately capture the RNAV glidepath all by itself and Garmin loses the advantage.
Don't get me wrong. I've been using Garmin since handhelds and am mentally integrated into its flow, so I tend to prefer it (although I don't like Garmin Pilot even though it too follows the "Garmin flow." But I have friends who fly Avidyne and I've learned enough about its flow to be thoroughly impressed.
i'm pretty agnostic when it comes to this stuff,.

Autopilot integration is another area where Garmin really shines! Although I do not have the GFC-500 AP, the GAD-43e added digital VNAV capability to my KFC-150 that i didn’t have and would have allowed replacing the very expensive to maintain older KAS-297 vnav. Yes, I do have to push a couple of buttons to put it into VNAV, but everything is there on the G500 and GNS to help me set it. Far superior that what I had before and far superior than the Aspen EA100 adapter which doesn’t add any functionality than basic GNSS. Eventually someday when I upgrade my AP I will have more to look forward to.

Foreflight has significantly greater functionality over GP. However IMO I prefer its more elegant user interface and most of all it’s just as strong flying in China, when I was there, and in Latin America where I am flying now, due to its integration with Jepp. Foreflight certainly works outside of the US and Canada, but not fully like GP does.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, kortopates said:

Where are you renting 172s?  All I see for rental are ratty junky no paint outa date slow over priced for rental.

Edited by aviatoreb

4 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

You need to move somewhere else..

Nah - I just bought my own plane again and I don't rent. But the planes that are available here to rent are...ugly beasts.  Which is part of what me going toward the road of owning my own plane 13 years ago.  I figured if I was going to spend lots of money it should be for something nice.

But seriously - is that what most people see nearby is lovely rental airplanes?

E

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

More like not writing brief requirements.    Let me finish the requirements.   That is reasonable priced say $2500.00 that is the form factor of a KX155 or less to be used more as an IFR approved source for both ADSB systems and advanced flight deck installs such as the Dynon Skyview and other VFR installs.   This new box will integrate easily with new A/P systems entering the market such as Trutrack allowing the pilot fly IFR approachs reducing pilot workload and increasing safety of the National Airspace System for all users of the system.

This offering from Avidyne would immediately cause all those people flying with enroute only GPS boxes to sit up and take notice....

Edited by Yetti

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

More like not writing brief requirements.    Let me finish the requirements.   That is reasonable priced say $2500.00 that is the form factor of a KX155 or less to be used more as an IFR approved source for both ADSB systems and advanced flight deck installs such as the Dynon Skyview and other VFR installs.   This new box will integrate easily with new A/P systems entering the market such as Trutrack allowing the pilot fly IFR approachs reducing pilot workload and increasing safety of the National Airspace System for all users of the system.

This offering from Avidyne would immediately cause all those people flying with enroute only GPS boxes to sit up and take notice....

I think other than the $2500 price tag, that's all there.    Anything that will interface with a GNS 530/430 will interface with the Avidyne units.   My G5 and my Trig TT31 are driven by my IFD.

Edited by EricJ

38 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I think other than the $2500 price tag, that's all there.    Anything that will interface with a GNS 530/430 will interface with the Avidyne units.   My G5 and my Trig TT31 are driven by my IFD.

How much of the current offerings have caused the upgrade from all the enroute GPSs?

To buy themselves some product development time, Avidyne could lower the MSRP of the IFD 440 significantly to compete with Garmin's latest GPS navigation offerings. It's possible that Avidyne could place themselves in a competitive position by properly placing the products they have available within the current market environment. Most would agree that the market has shifted significantly since the release of the IFD series navigators.

Avidyne needs to come up with some sort of response if they want to be seen as a competitor. Remaining quiet and hoping the Garmin product release storm passes by might not be the best long-term strategy.

3 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Realistically think of the boxes they would be replacing. Those enroute GPS boxes cost between $15000-20000 in 2020 dollars. And now you can get one infinitely more capable for $2500, knowing how expensive it is to jump through the FAA hoops, etc. Not realistic.

I would think if it was based on an already certified offering with a I or another letter in the name reusing stuff.  It could be done.   You know like the K cars.