Runway closed due to snow ATIS

PT20J

It doesn't snow all that much in the Seattle area. Maybe some of you that live in snow country can tell me if this is the standard way to report airport conditions during a snow event.

Recently, the Paine Field (KPAE) ATIS was advertising, " Wind 320 at 5, visibility one half mile in light snow and mist, ceiling 300 broken 700 overcast,..., RNAV runway 34L approach in use. Landing and departing runways 34. Notice to airmen, runways 16R/34L and 16L/34R closed."

It just seemed strange to advertise the approach and runways in use and then announce that the same runways are closed.

Skip

Just had the same thing at Ann Arbor, MI (KARB) on Sunday.  I was 15 minutes out picking up ATIS, got the full ATIS like usual and then a notice "THE AIRPORT WAS CLOSED" until 2000 local time (it was around noon).  I was still with Cleveland Center so asked them what was up?  He called and verified and then asked my intentions (he explained it was because the runway was solid ice).  I asked if he would check Willow Run / KYIP, as I had noticed quite a few runways there were NOTAM'ed closed when I left Florida (there was no NOTAM's on ARB).  He verified they were open, only in the last hour, so I diverted to there.  Fuel was $2.50 a gallon more, but service was very good.

Tom

KARB seems to close the runway for a light dusting of snow. I have had to wait at the FBO twice because of risk management not letting airplanes fly. There must be a pissing match of sorts going on. Absolutely no reason why they can’t broom/scrape it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not uncommon to have the WX conditions reported and then have an ancillary message indicating the runway is closed.  I live in major snow country, all the airports around here do that.  Spare RNO, they all suck at snow removal.  In fact one of the Area airports no longer has a functioning AWOS, so they can’t make the announcement that the runway is closed due to snow.