Aspen Pro MAX Issues Communication From Aspen Avionics

Andy Smith

Good Evening All,

I want to introduce myself. My name is Andy Smith and I am with Aspen Avionics. I am here to help with any problems or questions that you have. I am sure that I have spoken to some of you over the years. Hoping I can shed some light on some issues.  

Below is a company statement regarding the reported MAX issues. As more information becomes available I will be sure to share. I can also address any questions if you have them.

"We are aware of some reports of intermittent issues with a small number of new Evolution MAX displays. We are closely working with the individual’s that have experienced the issue. We are also actively looking into the root cause and are doing an analysis of the issue and will institute a fix as soon as possible. We will communicate to ensure all are aware of any potential next steps. If you have questions or concerns, we respectfully ask you contact your dealer directly, or contact Aspen Avionics directly at www.aspenavionics.com/contact. Please be assured this is a company priority and we are working quickly to resolve the issue."
  • Like 8

Good Evening All,   I want to introduce myself. My name is Andy Smith and I am with Aspen Avionics. I am here to help with any problems or questions that you have. I am sure that I have spoken to some of you over the years. Hoping I can shed some light on some issues.  

Below is a company statement regarding the reported MAX issues. As more information becomes available I will be sure to share. I can also address any questions if you have them.

"We are aware of some reports of intermittent issues with a small number of new Evolution MAX displays. We are closely working with the individual’s that have experienced the issue. We are also actively looking into the root cause and are doing an analysis of the issue and will institute a fix as soon as possible. We will communicate to ensure all are aware of any potential next steps. If you have questions or concerns, we respectfully ask you contact your dealer directly, or contact Aspen Avionics directly at www.aspenavionics.com/contact. Please be assured this is a company priority and we are working quickly to resolve the issue."
Hi Andy!

Thanks for the transparency. I've had great support from Aspen regarding the issue I had with my MAX upgrade. In my case (reported on another thread), the software for the EA100 needed to be updated. The dealer missed this essential requirement so it falls on them, not Aspen.

Would you please, if you can, share what issue your are referring to?

Thanks again to being proactive.

Alex

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Currently there is rebooting issues that are happening. There is no one single trend that we have identified but working to find the culprit. We are aware of the EA100 issue and this is why reaching out to your dealer is the first and most important step. Thank you for being a Aspen customer. Hope I can be of some help here. Looking forward to being part of the community. 

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Andy. We hope you'll stick around. It's always good to have vendor reps on the board. 

I'm personally looking forward to the day the Aspens will talk to the new BK KFC230 AeroCruz. As soon as that happens I'll pull the trigger.

E2000 Max and KFC 230.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Andy Smith said:

Currently there is rebooting issues that are happening. There is no one single trend that we have identified but working to find the culprit. We are aware of the EA100 issue and this is why reaching out to your dealer is the first and most important step. Thank you for being a Aspen customer. Hope I can be of some help here. Looking forward to being part of the community. 

Andy, welcome!  Kudus for joining the forum also.  Gives me great confidence as I consider various options to upgrade and make the choice between an Aspen/Avidyne path or the Garmin one.  

PS: seems the other issue is folks not using the correct grade ethernet cable and that the Max is particularly sensitive to this?

PPS: While you're listening - if you guys could just drop the price of the EA100 to something more realistic for us folks with well-functioning legacy autopilots, it's a no-brainer to go Aspen forever.  I don't like Garmin but $3k for the EA100? :rolleyes:

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 2

Great intro, Lee!

Welcome aboard, Andy!

Andy,

When you get a chance...

click on your avatar picture and fill in all the data that you can....  find the area called signature line... it is a great place to put your contact info / email address...

When things come up, I will know where to send a message...

Have the system notify you so you get a text or email...

You have a few key Aspen users here... lots of pics and vids... demonstrating their value...

Good luck with the current challenge... keep us in the loop. Even when it isn’t fun to explain the next step or wait time...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, Andy Smith said:
Good Evening All,

I want to introduce myself. My name is Andy Smith and I am with Aspen Avionics. I am here to help with any problems or questions that you have. I am sure that I have spoken to some of you over the years. Hoping I can shed some light on some issues.  

Welcome Mr. Smith!
As a GA aircraft owner/operator I take great pride in maintaining my airplane in top shape. I also like to do upgrades after careful consideration and extensive research. Although not in any particular hurry, I will at some point upgrade my left panel. Would you please tell me why I should consider your products in view of your systemic issues? What would you say to this potential customer? Beyond the usual form “assurances” that you are working to determine the root causes, etc etc. 

1 hour ago, PTK said:

Welcome Mr. Smith!
As a GA aircraft owner/operator I take great pride in maintaining my airplane in top shape. I also like to do upgrades after careful consideration and extensive research. Although not in any particular hurry, I will at some point upgrade my left panel. Would you please tell me why I should consider your products in view of your systemic issues? What would you say to this potential customer? Beyond the usual form “assurances” that you are working to determine the root causes, etc etc. 

Good morning, 

As a lot of other users can attest, our Aspen system provides the best bang for your buck. The system is truly designed to protect you as a pilot in the investment of your aircraft. Start with one screen, then a second and maybe a third over the years. Its not an all or nothing approach. I would consider Aspen Avionics a true "retrofit company" as opposed to a "forward fit company". Aspen products interface with your existing avionics, no panel modifications (major) are needed, and our willingness to work with other manufacturers and have an open architecture allows you not  paint yourself into a corner in regards to your upgrades. 

As far as a addressing the "systemic" issues. All manufacturers have the some hiccups from time. Although the failures may seem systemic,  they are rarely the SAME failures over an over. Once an issue is identified we can resolve in a fairly quick timetable. I know that things and processes are always changing in regards to the factory and manufacturing to ensure the failures are as few and far between as possible.

I would be happy to discuss if our system is a good fit for you based on the type of flying you do, your existing equipment, and your future plans. To be honest, after a good conversation our system is just not what you need. I much rather have a happy customer that bought our product knowing it was a solid fit from them rather than a customer that was "sold" a system and is unhappy.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Andy Smith said:
Good Evening All,

Dear Andy,

Welcome on board!

This group is really a nice forum where as a Mooney owner you can find constructive advice and support.

Amazing to have you here! I hope we don't scare you with all our questions. I have to say to you guys have been very responsive and have always tried to help with prompt and relevant advice. 

In a separate thread I raised one issue that seems to be common at least to two of us. So your advice would be highly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Andy Smith said:

Although the failures may seem systemic,  they are rarely the SAME failures over an over. Once an issue is identified we can resolve in a fairly quick timetable

So they are different failures. This really scares me! And the wasted time back and forth to the shop to fix things. As I said I’m in no hurry but this doesn’t help boost my confidence. I hope things change. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, PTK said:

So they are different failures. This really scares me! And the wasted time back and forth to the shop to fix things. As I said I’m in no hurry but this doesn’t help boost my confidence. I hope things change. Thank you!

This recent rebooting failure has not occurred before. I was referencing that back in 2015-2016 timeframe we has an issue with a particular in the component in the RSM. This happens a lot within the industry.... more now that everything is going digital and is so dependent on software. There are several instances where a software change fixes something and then causes a problem somewhere else. I am speaking in generalities here. Just look at the history of SW revisions on a unit and you can get an idea of I mean. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Andy Smith said:

There are several instances where a software change fixes something and then causes a problem somewhere else.

^ Aka whack-a-mole.  Software engineer here... he speaketh the truth.  My Aspen should have arrived at the factory yesterday or today for the Max upgrade.  I love my Evolution Pro and will likely add an MFD at some point.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andy Smith said:

The system is truly designed to protect you as a pilot in the investment of your aircraft. Start with one screen, then a second and maybe a third over the years. Its not an all or nothing approach.

Protecting my investment imo requires a departure from a 15 year old hardware design. Does Aspen have any plans on updating the hardware to larger displays and maybe touchscreen?

3 hours ago, Andy Smith said:

This recent rebooting failure has not occurred before. I was referencing that back in 2015-2016 timeframe we has an issue with a particular in the component in the RSM. This happens a lot within the industry.... more now that everything is going digital and is so dependent on software. There are several instances where a software change fixes something and then causes a problem somewhere else. I am speaking in generalities here. Just look at the history of SW revisions on a unit and you can get an idea of I mean. 

Thanks for joining the forum Andy. 

2 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

^ Aka whack-a-mole.  Software engineer here... he speaketh the truth.  My Aspen should have arrived at the factory yesterday or today for the Max upgrade.  I love my Evolution Pro and will likely add an MFD at some point.

Amen brother! People who don't work with software/hardware combinations have no clue how this stuff works. And then to add in Garmin's propriety approach, it just makes solutions to a problem hard. You are going to love the Max. When we first powered it up, I could tell it was much visually much sharper but didn't realize the improvement in processor speed until I went flying with it. They added some nice features like the METARs on the MFD's nav page, the blue banana and fixed a few things like leaving the N number up on traffic.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PTK said:

Just like my multiple failures on my Garmin GTN 650 -- ONCE WHILE ON AN IFR FLIGHT IN IMC. Nothing like being in the soup and realizing the $10k box you bought won't let you communicate... Now that is scary! Should have bought the Avidyne... :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, PTK said:

Want to hear what was really scary?  Losing my Garmin 430W in IMC in the winter, and having its antenna fail, which wiped out every gps in my cockpit due to the antenna failure mode (well documented garmin problem).  Luckily I’m pretty decent with my KNS80... i was able to shoot an old fashioned ILS, break out and land.

one of the best things I ever did was replacing that Garmin box with an Avidyne- haven’t had any problems with that.

also, loving my Aspen Max displays- crisp, fast, responsive and with lots of user options/capability.  All new hardware inside the case- it’s a top notch modern unit.  You should try one before you knock them.

Edited by M016576
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, M016576 said:

You should try one before you knock them.

Please take a moment and re-read the posts. I was asking the Aspen rep questions based on his post about the failures. As far as trying them as I said I’m not in any particular hurry. My panel works perfectly well.

2 hours ago, M016576 said:

Want to hear what was really scary?  Losing my Garmin 430W in IMC in the winter, and having its antenna fail, which wiped out every gps in my cockpit due to the antenna failure mode (well documented garmin problem).  Luckily I’m pretty decent with my KNS80... i was able to shoot an old fashioned ILS, break out and land.

Same thing happened to me.  I guess it's a well known problem; another forum member jumped right on the answer because he had the same antenna problem. Also, the avionics shop interrupted my story and said it was the antenna.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, PTK said:

All companies have product failures . . yes even the beloved Garmin

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=177136

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=150406&hilit=G500&view=unread#unread

• Like 4

On 1/14/2020 at 11:51 AM, PTK said:

Protecting my investment imo requires a departure from a 15 year old hardware design. Does Aspen have any plans on updating the hardware to larger displays and maybe touchscreen?

Dang, man! Your last few posts seem to have a pretty bitter tone to them...is there something YOU are not sharing?  I mean, it's not like other manufacturers don't have issues, or have the latest state-of-the-art systems come out every six months.  How long was the 430 around before the 650 finally showed up?  I don't recall you bemoaning how ancient Garmin was.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of touchscreens in the panel; a little turbulence and they are a hassle.

I give Andy a lot of credit for coming on here, admitting the issues, and offering to help people out.  I don't see other major avionics manufacturers like Garmin or BK coming on here to answer questions and discuss their problems.

• Like 4