This sucks more

On 1/13/2020 at 8:00 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Why does that suck?

Something went terribly wrong and this is all that happened! 

It looks like a great day!

Or as we say in the mtn bike world.  excelled his skilz level.   I think the reason I double and triple check the gear is I don't want to have to tell my instructor that I gear upped the plane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

I think the reason I double and triple check the gear is I don't want to have to tell my instructor that I gear upped the plane.

I'm more concerned about the crowd here on MooneySpace finding out I gear upped my plane, never mind my instructor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, 1980Mooney said:

Consider this.  The owner of the plane with the jack through the wing, N6466Q, will get his plane repaired regardless of the cost which will be paid for by the offending shop and its insurance.  The unfortunate owner of the "green machine", N2953L, may be in greater peril of loss depending on damages and his level of insurance and personal resources.  And as pointed out in another current topic in General Mooney Talk, the owner of N2953L may get dropped by his insurance company going forward while the owner of N6466Q will not.

These points are well made. I would add though that N6466Q will unfortunately be down for a long time. Reskinning both wings and a fresh paint job will not happen quickly. I would not like to be without my airplane for 6 months or so and have it come back with that little issue in its log books. In fact, I might have preferred the insurance just write me a check for the full value and let me go find a different Mooney.

The other one, N2953L, while the damage will be minimal, and nearly all vintage Mooneys have a gear up... or two, in the log books, it's very likely the owner isn't carrying enough insurance and the airplane will get totaled and scrapped. 

As an owner, I'd probably want 6466Q totaled and 2953L repaired. But insurance might do exactly the opposite in both cases...

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

Consider this.  The owner of the plane with the jack through the wing, N6466Q, will get his plane repaired regardless of the cost which will be paid for by the offending shop and its insurance.  The unfortunate owner of the "green machine", N2953L, may be in greater peril of loss depending on damages and his level of insurance and personal resources.  And as pointed out in another current topic in General Mooney Talk, the owner of N2953L may get dropped by his insurance company going forward while the owner of N6466Q will not.

I often wondered how many Mooneys are flying around without insurance. There is no legal requirement to have it and knowing how much the premiums are rising, how many will throw caution to the wind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

15 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I often wondered how many Mooneys are flying around without insurance. There is no legal requirement to have it and knowing how much the premiums are rising, how many will throw caution to the wind?

If able, I would like the "wacking my wing into a Citation insurance".   The plane itself, I would just strip and sell the good parts.   If I am not able to do that because of injuries, does it really matter

45 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm more concerned about the crowd here on MooneySpace finding out I gear upped my plane, never mind my instructor.

As funny :lol: as this sounds, I agree.

Along with tons of other flying thoughts with each flight,  my mind also travels to such things before, during, and after each flight. And definitely when it comes to the gear....... I sure don’t want to create my very own “gear up landing” thread for you all....... worse yet, have one of you create it on my behalf! :(

So, yes, check, check, check and recheck and think ..... what would my MS folks say? Yikes!!!! :mellow:

• Like 2

I remember when I participated in the POA forum and there were accusations made that an owner deliberately belly landed his airplane to collect insurance on a plane he could not find a buyer for.

Hope this isn’t on the minds of any of our fine upstanding group of Cheap Bast%$ds.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I remember when I participated in the POA forum and there were accusations made that an owner deliberately belly landed his airplane to collect insurance on a plane he could not find a buyer for.

I remember that discussion . . .

I also remember when I participated on POA . . . . Not in a year or two . . . .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marauder said:

this used to be a normal topic that would come up annually...

Make sure you insure everything you can... if you can’t cover the plane... your loss... if you can’t cover what you run into... that can be horrible...

The economic improvements since 2008 probably makes this less of a need...

See if @Parker_Woodruff can add anything from the supplier point of view...

Best regards,

-a-