Aspen: synthetic vision and reality

Mine does the same thing, my guess is it has something to do with the terrain data and/or the nav database.

Thank you for your response. At least I know that i am not facing the problem alone.

I just sent an email to Aspen asking what is going on. May be we need to update the terrain database on the Aspen. For sure it is rather annoying.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Thank you for your response. At least I know that i am not facing the problem alone.

I just sent an email to Aspen asking what is going on. May be we need to update the terrain database on the Aspen. For sure it is rather annoying.

Oscar

I keep my Aspen databases current. Never seen an issue with being off the runway using SV.

e3c2484f0a3d009585057f60b99faed3.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve never seen Marauder so far off the centerline... :)

Is that five feet?

While you guys are checking into details... confirm you are using a WAAS source for that...

That looks like the same ambiguity my portable devices get when a WAAS source is not connected...

Ipad will show that far off the runway using an internal non-WAAS antenna.

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I’ve never seen Marauder so far off the centerline... 
Is that five feet?
While you guys are checking into details... confirm you are using a WAAS source for that...
That looks like the same ambiguity my portable devices get when a WAAS source is not connected...
Ipad will show that far off the runway using an internal non-WAAS antenna.
PP thoughts only, not an instrument guy...
Best regards,
-a-

I think it has something to do with the scaling of the runway on the display (150’ wide) and the fact I was still rolling to line up (the picture was taken from the iPad on the yoke).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Hi all. I am not completely sure what is happening. Oscar reached out to our tech support earlier so I will digress to what they say. Just a quick glance at the picture a few questions. 1.) you have GPS2 selected and its is not valid (red line) was your GPS1 valid for position. Would question if GPS2 did not have position source, GPS1 may not either. 2.) does this happen all of the time? Did it center up when you started moving down the runway?  3.)as mentioned, it may have to do with database cycles. 4.) location is key. sometimes certain airports are within a GPS blackout area that has been known to cause these effects. What did tech support say? They are more knowledgeable on these abnormalities than I am.  

7 minutes ago, Andy Smith said:

Hi all. I am not completely sure what is happening. Oscar reached out to our tech support earlier so I will digress to what they say. Just a quick glance at the picture a few questions. 1.) you have GPS2 selected and its is not valid (red line) was your GPS1 valid for position. Would question if GPS2 did not have position source, GPS1 may not either. 2.) does this happen all of the time? Did it center up when you started moving down the runway?  3.)as mentioned, it may have to do with database cycles. 4.) location is key. sometimes certain airports are within a GPS blackout area that has been known to cause these effects. What did tech support say? They are more knowledgeable on these abnormalities than I am.  

Thank you Andy.

The reason why GPS2 is not valid (nor 1) is because I have no flight plan loaded in the GTN750 (GPS1), nor 650 (GPS2).

It happens all the time at this airport. It did not center later on. 

This is the response from tech support:

"Try switching to FOV1 (narrow) field of view. It will help. Look along the right side of the screen and press the FOV2 button, it will switch to and read FOV1.

It might be a good idea to update the “NAVDATA” database in the Aspen, if Jepp made any corrections to the database, it might solve the problem. They make corrections from time to time and add new towers. You do not need to download the Terrain database, that one hasn’t changed since 2012.

Best regards,"

I am going to update the DB and report back to see what happens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Thank you Andy.

The reason why GPS2 is not valid (nor 1) is because I have no flight plan loaded in the GTN750 (GPS1), nor 650 (GPS2).

It happens all the time at this airport. It did not center later on. 

This is the response from tech support:

"Try switching to FOV1 (narrow) field of view. It will help. Look along the right side of the screen and press the FOV2 button, it will switch to and read FOV1.

It might be a good idea to update the “NAVDATA” database in the Aspen, if Jepp made any corrections to the database, it might solve the problem. They make corrections from time to time and add new towers. You do not need to download the Terrain database, that one hasn’t changed since 2012.

Best regards,"

I am going to update the DB and report back to see what happens.

Please keep me posted. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...