M20C Landing Gear kickback

My landing gear springs back about 1/4" after full down. Anyone seen this and know what causes it? My A&P brought in an expert and they re-rigged everything but it still does it. The current thought is that the actuator may need replacing or the gears. Looking for your experiences.  Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Tcraft938 said:

I'm not sure if this will help you, but here is a gear swing video on youtube.  There are many others to chose from as well.    Best of luck with it, I hope it works out for the better.

Yep, that's mine from 2 years ago. My now retired IA is short and had a hard time reaching the switch from outside.

• Like 1

The video below shows the gear retraction and extension.  It's kind of hard to see in this video but it's a lot more pronounced than the videos above.  I will post a video of the gear motor next and you'll really see what I mean.  It's that last second where the gear motor actually reverses.

https://youtu.be/nw9rYPy7LZo

Edited by Paul - M20C

On 1/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Paul - M20C said:

My landing gear springs back about 1/4" after full down. Anyone seen this and know what causes it? My A&P brought in an expert and they re-rigged everything but it still does it. The current thought is that the actuator may need replacing or the gears. Looking for your experiences.  Thanks.

There are a number of crucial service bulletins on your gear transmission.  They are free on www.mooney.com Best to familiarize your self with them.

The 20:1 gears in your transmission are subject to wear when not greased properly.

Clarence

In the video it is back driving the actuator. How are your preloads after it back drives? How do your spring compressions look? I have a feeling you are overdriving the gear, but I can't tell unless I'm there. 

If you use the crank until the light comes on does it want to back drive? Does it get hard at the end?

This almost kind of reminds me of an issue I had 25 years ago with my first M20C with electric gear.  I called up Dugosh and spoke with the owner at that time, Ronnie.  He said that the tensioner/friction springs inside the motor were old and no longer holding the motor from spinning when the motor wasn't energized.  

I took my motor to him, he disassembled it and installed 2 standard AN 960-10 washers as shims to make up for the springs that had lost some of their tension.  Worked great.  And he wouldn't let me pay him.  He was a great guy, hope the new Dugosh owners are similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...