This sucks

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The squat switch is an actual switch mounted on the gear leg...

So the airspeed switch, has another level of protection... over the gear squat switch...

in this case, the main landing gear was hanging under the jacked up wing...  it thought it was flying.

Squat switches for Mooneys are temperature and donut age sensitive... adding to the maintenance pains...

Best regards,

-a-

Ok.  That is enlightening to me.  I was not aware on the gear leg?  I never saw that on my F.  Is it physically mounted where on the gear leg (left side as previously mentioned)?  

With that, is that gear mounted squat switch reflected in the electrical section of the service manual?  I just missed all this completely during my F years ..... scary!!! LOL.

Thank you 

14 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Thank you all knowing and omnipotent Carusoam :lol:

Yep,  I understand the squat switch and its purpose .  And that’s what leads me to my question of technically how this happened.

Again, my squat switch on my 67 F model, s/n 670082, was configured through the airspeed indicator.  

On my F model, the airplane being on jacks, and the wheels off the ground, I could operate the gear switch till my heart was content, with power on.......my gear would not retract nor extend unless I introduced a certain amount of air pressure into the pitot tube in order to override my squat switch.

So, what was the situation with 66Q?  A different squat switch configuration (switch on gear leg, I’m not familiar on this year Mooney, a sensor perhaps)?  Inop squat switch? Overridden squat switch with power on? No squat switch at all?

Some of the squat switches on the F are mechanical switches on the gear (like my 75 F model). I looked up the tail number for this plane and it shows it was serial number 680008. I wonder when the switch over to electric gear happened. The guy next to me in the hangar has a 67 but his has the J bar. Wonder if it was a J bar, the guy pulled the J bar back thinking it was like the flap lever on a Piper. What we viewed does have me wondering more about the specifics.

44 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Some of the squat switches on the F are mechanical switches on the gear (like my 75 F model). I looked up the tail number for this plane and it shows it was serial number 680008. I wonder when the switch over to electric gear happened. The guy next to me in the hangar has a 67 but his has the J bar. Wonder if it was a J bar, the guy pulled the J bar back thinking it was like the flap lever on a Piper. What we viewed does have me wondering more about the specifics.

Interesting!  

If it is mechanical switch on gear leg, as yours is, is there a backup airspeed switch as Anthony indicates on your F, or on 66Q?

I don’t recall year electric was available.....67? 68?  Others may enlighten us on that.  I do believe it was mid year though.  

You know, those great vintage Mooney  factory folks/ engineer types didn’t wait for a new model year to incorporate changes!  Per Bill Wheat, if the janitor mentioned it...... make it so !  :D

I’m thinking that many F owners might want to know exactly what squat systems they have...... just in case.   :ph34r:

PS.   And their mechanics too ! :wacko:

My 1970 C has a switch atop the gear leg. The posted video of gear retraction on jacks was done by jacking the plane up, adding tail weight, then my short IA reached in and moved the knob. Apparently there ain't no "extra protection" thingy on the ASI . . . Looks like the subject F was the same way.

Interesting!  
If it is mechanical switch on gear leg, as yours is, is there a backup airspeed switch as Anthony indicates on your F, or on 66Q?
I don’t recall year electric was available.....67? 68?  Others may enlighten us on that.  I do believe it was mid year though.  
You know, those great vintage Mooney  factory folks/ engineer types didn’t wait for a new model year to incorporate changes!  Per Bill Wheat, if the janitor mentioned it...... make it so !  
I’m thinking that many F owners might want to know exactly what squat systems they have...... just in case.   
PS.   And their mechanics too ! :wacko:

It’s one or the other. I only have a mechanical squat switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

57 minutes ago, Marauder said:

It’s one or the other. I only have a mechanical squat switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok.  Thank you.

Obviously then 66Q has mechanical switch only, and ships power must have been on when gear switch inadvertently moved. Darn it.

I appreciate the information.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Thank you all knowing and omnipotent Carusoam :lol:

Yep,  I understand the squat switch and its purpose .  And that’s what leads me to my question of technically how this happened.

Again, my squat switch on my 67 F model, s/n 670082, was configured through the airspeed indicator.  

On my F model, the airplane being on jacks, and the wheels off the ground, I could operate the gear switch till my heart was content, with power on.......my gear would not retract nor extend unless I introduced a certain amount of air pressure into the pitot tube in order to override my squat switch.

So, what was the situation with 66Q?  A different squat switch configuration (switch on gear leg, I’m not familiar on this year Mooney, a sensor perhaps)?  Inop squat switch? Overridden squat switch with power on? No squat switch at all?

Your gear should not retract if the anti retraction system is working correctly.  If it’s not working correctly all bets are off.  Anti retraction has nothing to do with extension.

This sad video should reinforce to everyone the need for proper jacking procedures with proper jacks. 

Clarence

26 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Your gear should not retract if the anti retraction system is working correctly.  If it’s not working correctly all bets are off.  Anti retraction has nothing to do with extension.

This sad video should reinforce to everyone the need for proper jacking procedures with proper jacks. 

Clarence

Thank you Clarence.  

I guess I don’t remember about my gear extending regardless of the air pressure squat switch .