This sucks

46 minutes ago, Junkman said:

The tragedy of aircraft damage aside - why would someone be recording this on their phone (or other device?)? Reaching over a desk?

Looks to me like a regular security camera feed of the shop. We have cameras that cover most areas of the shops at the dealerships and also the lots.

• Like 2

Major miscue...

PP viewing the security video as shown...

1) Person1 in the plane

2) Person2 under the plane...

3) Something causes the nose wheel to fold backward... possibly person1 inside the plane...

4) A sound loud enough occurs that person3 runs into the shop to see what is happening... under five seconds later...

5) video elapses 2 seconds, nose wheel starts to move...

6) Nose impacts the ground, the jolt of the impact causes plane to fall off the jack...

7) No tire is seen on the Left MLG...

8) Tire on the Right MLG is seen as it tucks away into the wing...

9) tip of jack is seen coming through the top surface of the wing...

10) Looks like the plane was jacked up enough to do maintenance on the L-MLG... not for a landing gear swing.  No tail tie down or weights on the tail visible...

11) A huge lake of fluid appears on the floor! Typical of fuel when released from a ruptured tank...

12) Stuff happens really fast...

13) It was reported above... that the gear handle was actuated instead of the flaps switch.

14)  A squat switch, under these conditions, will Allow the gear to retract... the switch indicates that the gear is off the ground... as if it is flying...

See if Barry is an MSer...

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N6466Q

From the video and a PP’s view point... It only looks like machinery was damaged...  except for the hundreds of MSers watching it... checking their own heart rates... :)

It goes in the really near miss category... Most workplaces would be filling out a near miss report for OSHA after an event like this...

Fortunately, no need for the ambulance or fire department...

Always have a plan A, and a plan B for when Plan A inevitably goes goes awry...

Hope everyone is back on their feet, including 66Q, soon...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Looks to me like a regular security camera feed of the shop. We have cameras that cover most areas of the shops at the dealerships and also the lots.

Yeah, no question about the shop security camera and the display sitting on the desk. My question is about the second, apparently handheld device that was used to record the video screen on the desk. Just seems a little strange, like whoever was videoing the display was doing it for an immediate reason. Just a point of curiosity.

Cheers,
Rick

22 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

The story goes:

he was working under this airplane when he asked a colleague to put the flaps down. He apparently was not given instruction on which handle is the flaps and which one is the gear! 

Right after the nose gear starts to fold you can see the left main going up also. 

15 hours ago, Junkman said:

The tragedy of aircraft damage aside - why would someone be recording this on their phone (or other device?)? Reaching over a desk?

My guess is that they were replaying the security video and recording it on the phone. No matter how many times you watch it you can't help but make sounds when you see it happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

There was an airplane up on one of the for sale sites a while back that was listed by one of the insurance companies.  I wonder if this is the same one.

This airplane last flew on 28 December according to FlightAware. This Is probably really recent.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

My guess is that they were replaying the security video and recording it on the phone. No matter how many times you watch it you can't help but make sounds when you see it happen.

Now I just feel stupid. Recording the playback - makes much more sense than what I was thinking. And yes, same sound every time from me. I’m sure we all see that happening to our own planes.

Cheers,

Rick

If it’s an electric gear Mooney, jacking high enough to lift the left main off the shop floor would put the gear in the “flight” position, bypassing the anti retraction system.

Clarence

Seems to me that anytime you are going to jack the plane to have it secured at three points, under wing jacks and either tail or front. I'm sure whoever decided to save time by not securing either the tail or front is wishing they could have a do-over. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Seems to me that anytime you are going to jack the plane to have it secured at three points, under wing jacks and either tail or front. I'm sure whoever decided to save time by not securing either the tail or front is wishing they could have a do-over. 

I use four points, Nose, LH & RH Wing and Tail.....even then my pucker factor is elevated slightly :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If it’s an electric gear Mooney, jacking high enough to lift the left main off the shop floor would put the gear in the “flight” position, bypassing the anti retraction system.

Clarence

My 67 F model electric gear would not retract when on jacks and wheels off ground, unless power was on and a certain amount of air pressure (equivalent to approximately 65 mph I believe) was introduced into pitot tube in order to override squat switch.

9 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

This thread reminds me of this one: 

Don went through a hellish experience last year but in the end it appears that everything got resolved as quickly as painlessly as possible.  Not something I'd like to go through though.

15 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

11 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

My 67 F model electric gear would not retract when on jacks and wheels off ground, unless power was on and a certain amount of air pressure (equivalent to approximately 65 mph I believe) was introduced into pitot tube in order to override squat switch.

My curiosity is still why and how the retraction happened.  Of course, we might not learn that.

My thoughts again:

Was squat switch configured to actual gear legs (I’m not familiar with this on the Mooney, I’m open for enlightenment)?

Was squat switch airspeed indicator configuration overridden (only with ships power on can it be so, otherwise obviously no electric gear retraction)?

Was squat switch (either configuration) inop?

Is there no squat switch installed on this particular  F (or G) model.

Inquiring minds want to know ( at least mine does :lol:).......

15 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

My curiosity is still why and how the retraction happened.  Of course, we might not learn that.

I wrote what happened in a prior post....it was from another forum I am on that came directly from the mechanics brother who was under the airplane.....

nobody reads

30 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I wrote what happened in a prior post....it was from another forum I am on that came directly from the mechanics brother who was under the airplane.....

nobody reads

Gee wiz Jim....................I don't think it's really fair for you to include everyone when you state "nobody reads".  I think it would be more fair to say that Mitch doesn't read ! :lol:

Regardless of my dunceness [spell? or is that even a word? LOL], but would you please direct me to your post that states how this happened please?

Thank you.

Mitch, the reading challenged. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Gee wiz Jim....................I don't think it's really fair for you to include everyone when you state "nobody reads".  I think it would be more fair to say that Mitch doesn't read ! :lol:

Regardless of my dunceness [spell? or is that even a word? LOL], but would you please direct me to your post that states how this happened please?

Thank you.

Mitch, the reading challenged. :rolleyes:

Dude, there isn’t that many posts, only 2 pages...#9 BTW

32 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Dude, there isn’t that many posts, only 2 pages...#9 BTW

Thank you Art for your input.  Oh yes, I see #9.   #9 states that fellow apparently operated the gear switch.  That verbiage doesn't answer my curiosity of why the gear retracted. 

Sorry Mitch...

I missed Jim’s post that explains what happened...

Thought it was speculation...

I updated the summary list above to include the two additional key details...

So...

Everybody reads... they may not get the whole message...or remember all the detail... :)

This seems to be a danger that every mechanic with a new partner must have to face...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you all knowing and omnipotent Carusoam :lol:

Yep,  I understand the squat switch and its purpose .  And that’s what leads me to my question of technically how this happened.

Again, my squat switch on my 67 F model, s/n 670082, was configured through the airspeed indicator.  

On my F model, the airplane being on jacks, and the wheels off the ground, I could operate the gear switch till my heart was content, with power on.......my gear would not retract nor extend unless I introduced a certain amount of air pressure into the pitot tube in order to override my squat switch.

So, what was the situation with 66Q?  A different squat switch configuration (switch on gear leg, I’m not familiar on this year Mooney, a sensor perhaps)?  Inop squat switch? Overridden squat switch with power on? No squat switch at all?

3 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Thank you all knowing and omnipotent Carusoam :lol:

Yep,  I understand the squat switch and its purpose .  And that’s what leads me to my question of technically how this happened.

Again, my squat switch on my 67 F model, s/n 670082, was configured through the airspeed indicator.  

On my F model, the airplane being on jacks, and the wheels off the ground, I could operate the gear switch till my heart was content, with power on.......my gear would not retract nor extend unless I introduced a certain amount of air pressure into the pitot tube in order to override my squat switch.

So, what was the situation with 66Q?  A different squat switch configuration (switch on gear leg, I’m not familiar on this year Mooney, a sensor perhaps)?  Inop squat switch? Overridden squat switch with power on? No squat switch at all?

The squat switch is an actual switch mounted on the gear leg...

So the airspeed switch, has another level of protection... over the gear squat switch...

in this case, the main landing gear was hanging under the jacked up wing...  it thought it was flying.

Squat switches for Mooneys are temperature and donut age sensitive... adding to the maintenance pains...

Best regards,

-a-