This sucks

Moral of the story: use a tail weight? Are the balancing tolerances that tight? I never feel comfortable even checking the tire pressure. I have wing jack stands but I'm not comfortable using them.

• Like 1

Ouch! That really could have been bad for the guy under the plane. Poor plane! Looks like a little fuel spilled also. Defiantly could have been worse. Different but similar, every time I’m cleaning the belly of my plane this thought goes through my head (hopefully not literally). 

8 minutes ago, DXB said:

Looks like main gear  was jacked off the ground.  

I believe the F model squat switch is connected via airspeed indicator circuitry, not a switch on the gear itself.

My question about switch action being inop or over ridden is based on aircraft power being  ON .  Was it on? 

If not ON..... what the heck ?

Regardless, airplane should have been secured via tail or front end area.

• Like 1

Just did the oversized bushing repair on my nose gear and the entire time I was under it taking off the truss, I was imagining what it would be like if the hoist failed. I literally put 200 pounds of counterweight on the other side of the hoist, just to be extra, extra, extra sure. I think that hoist could have held up the entire plane, and it still wasn't enough to ease my mind.

5 minutes ago, salty said:

Just did the oversized bushing repair on my nose gear and the entire time I was under it taking off the truss, I was imagining what it would be like if the hoist failed. I literally put 200 pounds of counterweight on the other side of the hoist, just to be extra, extra, extra sure. I think that hoist could have held up the entire plane, and it still wasn't enough to ease my mind.

Yep, nerve racking indeed!

Sturdy saw horses under each wing placed firmly under spar is quite comforting.

2 minutes ago, salty said:

That wouldn't help if the nose fell on me.

Another thought, for additional peace of mind, maybe secure the tail along with nose hoist, and horses supporting wings.  

A Mooney at my airport fell off jacks and darn, jacks went through both wings.  Very sad . 

The damaged Mooney on my field went to insurance company, and was then purchased by individual.

Apparantly there was no internal wing damage.  Buyers patched holes and flew the plane away.

Wow I wonder what they paid for it. I’m guessing no prop strike like the plane featured here. Have the boys at Skywest speedtape it (like they do on the RJ wings) and you’re all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DXB said:

Man that's upsetting to watch.  It's a '67 F model per the registration  - must have the electric gear option?   I can't imagine anyone pulling the Johnson bar by mistake when asked to put down flaps.

If they were used to Piper Cherokee series with a hand operated flap I could see the mistake happening.

Clarence