Airport Closing

David Lloyd

7 hours ago, Atalla said:

Just curious but at what age did you feel that edge slip on track?  Been racing my whole life and that's something I'm aware of and monitoring to try and turn in the keys before I am forced to.

I’m 70. Still teach HPDE. Noticed it at 69 (2018) BUT had lung cancer in 08 surgery, chemo, radiation, brain cancer in 13 surgery and radiation(chemo is ineffective on brain cancer) been clear ever since. So I’m not you average Joe. The brain cancer is what killed my flying.FAA told me no more medical. Too much a risk for seizure they said.  I wrote an article for the Mooney magazine about returning to flying from lung cancer.

like Dirty Harry said, “A man has to know his limitations “

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DrBill said:

I’m 70. Still teach HPDE. Noticed it at 69 (2018) BUT had lung cancer in 08 surgery, chemo, radiation, brain cancer in 13 surgery and radiation(chemo is ineffective on brain cancer) been clear ever since. So I’m not you average Joe. The brain cancer is what killed my flying.FAA told me no more medical. Too much a risk for seizure they said.  I wrote an article for the Mooney magazine about returning to flying from lung cancer.

like Dirty Harry said, “A man has to know his limitations “

Talk about one tough son of a b****.  I'm glad you are still able to get on track and spread some knowledge.  Thanks for sharing and your reply altered much more than my racing outlook.

• Like 1

Great thread of history here. Friend of mine learned to fly at Wilgrove so we flew down today and I got to meet Alan and see why learning to fly here was such a great training. Great guy and cool little field. Definitely want to be on center through the trees to land. Sad to see it go. 

Talked to Alan this evening.  We have a short reprieve.  April 30.  Couple folks going to Lancaster, at least one to Bradford, one to Shelby, several to Goose Creek.  Goose Creek is 2300', narrow.  Not much parking or tiedown space.  I might be able to put a portable hangar there.  19 miles.  Stanly County is 22 miles with a years long waiting list.  Anson County is 34 miles with a list of unknown length for privately owned hangars.  What to do, what to do?  Might be a lot of work and expense for the few years of flying left.  69 Monday.  Still trying to find a way to squeeze lemons.  

On 1/25/2020 at 12:21 PM, DrBill said:

Hey, guys, miss the action. After some hot laps at Charlotte Motor Speedway in July of 18, I found myself lifting on the throttle in turn 3 where I never did that before so that told me I was losing it. In October at another track, was doing same when a guy walks up to me and says” nice car, know of any like it for sale?”.  I thought a few seconds and told him that one just went up for sale and gave him a price. He took it around the track twice and said sold. He lives in Columbus Ohio, and came the next week with his trailer and cash and took it home. I don’t miss the maintenance. Now have a travel trailer and go to Dutch Oven Gatherings 6 times a year. Going to the first of 2020 this Thursday thru Sunday. This is a safe activity for a 70 yr old ex cancer survivor. Saw where Mooney came out with a 2 door version and then closed. Too bad. Miss the reunions.

Come to Mooney Summit VIII in October in Florida.  It'll be the biggest gathering of Mooneys in 2020.

-Seth

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, wonderful recounting of your history there. I never flew into Wilgrove but know of it well. I'm from Charlotte and mostly flew our of EQY. Got my instrument at Rock Hill and rented an Arrow regularly for a time down at Lancaster. I assume you've checked all of those. Maybe you could just buy you a house at Aero Plantation :) I never know there was such a demand for hangers, in some ways I guess that's a good thing if there is that much demand. Good luck with your search for hangar space.

Dale Dorsey

• 4 months later...

The selling of 8A6 has taken a little longer than expected, giving some of us a short reprieve.  But the end is here, the lawyer says begone. and be gone before July 1.  The holdouts: Allen and his Navion are going to Goose Creek, as are Alan and his Citabria, Randolph and his Arrow, John and his Tiger.  Zack is going to EQY with his J, Fred I think is going to Gastonia with his Murphy.  Me, I am going to VUJ, at least for the time being.  Supposedly I am on the short list for a hangar at AFP.  Until moving recently, 38 years I was two miles from the airport, 21 or 34 depending, is going to take a lot of adjustment.

Just like so many others, the hangar has been emptied of years of stuff. You know, all the stuff that somehow accumulates.  I sold a hundred pounds of tools to a couple of EAB builders. shop vac, blower, tool cabinets, engine hoist, etc. to whomever walked by.  Sold another hundred pounds of tools, fasteners, etc. to the mechanic that has moved his operation to the Goose.  Hard to believe there have been several people wanting the tin sheet from the hangar. They have already stripped several.  My hangar door (a canvas curtain) is going to a private grass strip.

I think I summed it up in the first post.  Rats!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, cliffy said:

My favorite Houston airport got sold and bulldozed  last year   KEYQ      

So sad.

Thought......Mooney Summit.....such a positive and proactive organization comprised of excellent personnel, all in support of Mooney folks and general aviation...... maybe create/assist AOPA with a national general aviation airport advocacy group!  :)

2 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

So sad.

Thought......Mooney Summit.....such a positive and proactive organization comprised of excellent personnel, all in support of Mooney folks and general aviation...... maybe create/assist AOPA with a national general aviation airport advocacy group!  :)

Thanks for the kind words, Mitch. AOPA does have an airport advocacy group of volunteers already called the Airport Support Network

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/airports-and-airspace/airport-advocacy/asn

9 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Thanks for the kind words, Mitch. AOPA does have an airport advocacy group of volunteers already called the Airport Support Network

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/airports-and-airspace/airport-advocacy/asn

Quite familiar with ASN Mike..... I was one.

Takes a ton of detailed effort way beyond the ASN program.  The Bill Dunn’s are a rare commodity, more than likely to not come again.

My opinion.....AOPA efforts to get deeply involved these days..... severely anemic.  Writing articles and such is ineffective.  You talk about Boots On The Ground...... it took the likes of Bill to do just that.....he did, he went face to face....that’s what’s needed from AOPA, or ?  

Easy to write letters and write articles......incredibly difficult to get up close and personal.

Talk is easy and cheap......from my experience.