Snow Cones anyone?

kmyfm20s

Top of the cloud is usually the worst spot.  

And don’t forget about the glory halo. Flying in western NY for years, it was always something I looked out for if I had to descend into the deck in the winter. Good indicator that moisture exists in the tops.

278a6fd77e05b0210b901e19ccbfd20a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

Curious if you used a max power climb where the extra upgraded HP helped in this situation or cruise RPM?

Yes, I used full RPM to climb and help reduce ice build up on the prop.  I usually cruise at 2400 RPM when I’m below 10,000’ but after I climbed to 11,000’ I ran 2550 RPM to regain some of the speed I lost. I was happy with the performance under the circumstances. It took over an hour for the ice to sublimate off the wings with an OAT of 22F. I thought that would of happened faster.

1 hour ago, kmyfm20s said:

Yes, I used full RPM to climb and help reduce ice build up on the prop.  I usually cruise at 2400 RPM when I’m below 10,000’ but after I climbed to 11,000’ I ran 2550 RPM to regain some of the speed I lost. I was happy with the performance under the circumstances. It took over an hour for the ice to sublimate off the wings with an OAT of 22F. I thought that would of happened faster.

Yeah, sublimation can be overrated.  Sometimes good, sometimes not as much.  I fly a FIKI turbine (boots) at work in the pacific nw and get a reasonable amount of ice.  Sometimes it comes off quick when you get on top, sometimes not so much.  There’s a lot of weird weather phenomena related to humidity, dew point, temperature and sun angle.  Honestly, the Time i picked up the most ice, I was down to 400fpm climb at 20,000’ (from 1500fpm).  Got on top, accelerated to cruise but was 30kts slow... 220 from 250 planned.  There was a layer above me shading the sun.  Ice didn’t come off until I descended below the freezing level.  Had to decide if I still had enough fuel at the slower speed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Hang in there Yves!  We only have the little tiny 1000W generator but I figure it is enough to run the critical items.  But we also have a nice big wood burning stove that we run night and day in the winter anyway, and about 15 cords of wood as in normal course.

I hear box wine pairs well with MREs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't think ice only accumulates up in the high clouds,

Once, in another life, I was going into MDW in a 737 in the clear. MDW had a low layer of stratus at @ 2000 tops, 400' ceiling.

No reports of anything happening. Just low stratus. Turned onto the ILS for 31C and entered the clouds about the FAF. From that point on we gathered ice like I had never seen before, all of it clear ice. Windshield heat didn't keep up within 1 min, ice on the wiper nuts was 3" or better half way down. Went from 6000# total FF to 9000# (50% increase) in 2 mins. I knew we were NOT missing this approach and going around (couldn't bring up the flaps because the ice filled the flap gaps).  

When we got down and taxied in everyone came over to look at the Popsicle. We called ground and reported sever icing encountered on final. And remember, no one had experienced it before I got there. No PIREPS, no nothing.

What I suspect happened was a slight drop in temperature just as I got there causing that lower layer to go freezing fog or drizzle and it all stuck on me. Super cooled, not frozen water droplets, due to low wind velocity. Ready at the least disruption to freeze. 

IF you ever see FF or FD in the Wx report DON'T FLY. We were grounded by Ops Specs if it was there. 

What looked like an uneventful trip turned out to be something else in the end.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Marauder said:

And don’t forget about the glory halo

I stay far away from that one but for other reasons: it did scare the hell of me thinking it was another traffic one day but yes good advice 

Edited by Ibra

On 1/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, Marauder said:

And don’t forget about the glory halo. Flying in western NY for years, it was always something I looked out for if I had to descend into the deck in the winter. Good indicator that moisture exists in the tops.

278a6fd77e05b0210b901e19ccbfd20a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Your Mooney is more swept winged than mine.

good point on the glory halo.

E

• Like 2