G100 upgrade to WAAS

gwcolwell

Good Morning Everyone,

Owner of a 2005 Ovation 2 w/G1000 non-WAAS. 

Like to upgrade to WAAS but local FBO indicates a possible problem caused by Mooney's on again/off again support structure/personnel issues.

When time permits, please advise of accepted procedure to upgrade (and/or replace) my existing G1000 panel to a WAAS version.

Thanks,

gwcolwell 

Have the exact same airplane, did it last August at Maxwell's. You want Mooney SB M20-305B, use option 2 (since you have an STec autopilot). Figure on 30 AMU when all finished. Don't know if Maxwell still has any kits left, but I would call. I would do it soon in case Mooney turns in their PC or TDCS.

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/4147179/technical_documents/service_bulletins/M20_305B-1.pdf

What GeeBee said ^^^

I did mine about 2 years ago and paid about $31k for for the GIA63Ws and software upgrade for the S-Tec, and the GTX345R for ADS-B. As noted, the issue isn't Mooney but that Garmin has discontinued making the GIA63W GPS units. The newer models are unfortunately not backwards compatible.

Also worth exploring is to check with people who understand/know this stuff whether you could get kits for Beech or Cessnas and then have a MSC use the appropriate cabling, s/w etc. for your Ovation. Of course those might be equally rare at this point.

Good luck.

Robert 

• Like 1

You mean G1000 (not G100 to WAAS in the title), this one will take a lot of effort to get 3D  :lol:
https://www.digitalmatter.com/Devices/3G-GPS-Tracker-Devices/G100

I undertstand it can be done while swapping GAI63 non-wass units to GIA63W (in DA40/DA42), but not many of the latter are around pushing the cost a bit high

Unless load of them go to sale if many people upgrading for other stuff like NXI?