Recommendation for pre-purchase inspector in South Carolina

r0ckst4r

Thank you for the replies.  Just out of curiosity since I am still very new to all of this.  I have been told that it is better to bet a pre-buy done by a "neutral party" or essentially one that has not been doing the maintenance on the aircraft.  Who is the one that flies the plane around to these locations prior to purchase for the inspections?  Is it commonplace?

If you’re looking at the ‘95 Ovation it’s only 100 miles from AGL. I’m sure the owner would be willing to fly it over if you put down a 10% deposit. Longer distances might cause the owner to expect you to pay travel expenses. Just depends on the seller. 

Edited by MIm20c

RS,

You are going to find out buying a plane is more of a partnership...

The buyer and seller need to work out many details...

Insurance often drives The Who can do what...

It isn’t a good idea to hammer down a low price... then wonder how to get the PPI executed... 

When you have done this a few times it is much easier... some people get to the level of buying top quality machines from known people and absorb the cost of added risk... no PPI (not recommended, unless you can afford huge expenses that can be hiding to the seller...)

Start with asking the seller to see log book copies... determine who has been doing the maintenance... go to the next good Mooney resource nearby...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Often owners will move the machine... at buyers expense...

If needed, an MSC can pick up the plane and have it delivered...

Things get expensive quickly to pay two people to fly two planes around...

You want a good plane so it passes the PPI to take on this extra financial burden...

Expect all costs to be bourn by the buyer... so keep asking all the questions... :)

Best regards,

-a-

If you are flexible to considering alternatives other than a MSC I'd recommend my shop, Oak Island Aviation, at KSUT.  The owner built and flew his first plane at age 12.  He is an aeronautical engineer and IA who worked for Cessna an CJs for about 10 years before deciding to get out of the corporate environment and open his own shop. 

My plane was serviced by a well known MSC for at least 20 years before I purchased it. He discovered numerous "oversights, mistakes and omissions"  when he went thru the plane.

He regularly services at least 20 Mooney's from all over the SE.  

• Like 1