Looking for a up lock and down lock block for CNC owner produced

21 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Right on! The drawings are going to be for the community but, David (@Sabremech) will get those done. 

This will be a big help for those of us with Johnson Bars! 

-Don 

I should have the drawings by the end of next week. I’ll need to know where the drawings will go as they are being paid for by a small group. 
Thanks,

David

Very impressive group activity...

Summary of challenges to not getting this right...

1) The old down block wears in a way that it builds a step that inhibits locking the gear down... this leads to GU landings...

2) The old up block...  when it loses control and lets the gear down at cruise speeds... the steel bat rips through the cabin at lightning speeds... anything caught between the floor and the panel is at risk... it really hurts to be hit by the bat... even just a glancing blow...  something to consider when thinking about testing the gear operation outside the normal range... there is a real reason to not do this...

3) Even though it doesn’t seem like it is doing an important job, when it doesn’t do its job... you can see how important the job is... :)

Just some thoughts on how important it is to get this right...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Go OPP (owner produced part) !

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I should have the drawings by the end of next week. I’ll need to know where the drawings will go as they are being paid for by a small group. 
Thanks,

David

Myself, I'm ok with getting a copy and then for the benefit of the community, ask for a $10 donation to the site to get them! Best of all worlds there!

This sets up the owner proroduced part (you paid for an owner produced drawing), David produces the parts, site gets a donation, everyone wins.. 

The rest of those that paid (like me) need to weigh in though. 

-Don 

Edited by hammdo

While we're at this, what other owner produced parts do we need to look at next? We can start a thread for those and really kick this into high gear! Nose Gear turn limit would be my next need ;o) 

-Don 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Very impressive group activity...

Summary of challenges to not getting this right...

1) The old down block wears in a way that it builds a step that inhibits locking the gear down... this leads to GU landings...

2) The old up block...  when it loses control and lets the gear down at cruise speeds... the steel bat rips through the cabin at lightning speeds... anything caught between the floor and the panel is at risk... it really hurts to be hit by the bat... even just a glancing blow...  something to consider when thinking about testing the gear operation outside the normal range... there is a real reason to not do this...

3) Even though it doesn’t seem like it is doing an important job, when it doesn’t do its job... you can see how important the job is... :)

Just some thoughts on how important it is to get this right...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Go OPP (owner produced part) !

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you Anthony..... the great communicator !:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I have not had any luck with the metallurgy testing. Several companies doesn't want to run in their machinery, in fear the Aluminum alloy will contaminate their machinery. Are there anyone out there who have any contact to testing an original block?  I should have an old block in a week, we can do all the testing on we need to.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:01 PM, hammdo said:

While we're at this, what other owner produced parts do we need to look at next? We can start a thread for those and really kick this into high gear! Nose Gear turn limit would be my next need ;o) 

-Don 

We just had the pucks replaced on our C.  The nose gear shock link was worn out of spec.   With the factory closed and LASAR out of stock, it had to come from the ready reserve of rusting and resting retired Mooney airframes.  This is a common problem and those are going to be increasingly hard to find.  The lack of that part will be a show stopper.  P/N 540015-001.

Edited by 0TreeLemur
added part number.

The drawings are complete and I e-mailed them to Andersj as he did the go fund me. Please contact Andersj for your copy of the drawings. I do need to check the solidworks drawings to make sure one is the down lock and the other the up lock as they are both labeled up lock. I don’t have the software to open the files but will confirm them in the morning.

Thank you,

David

36 minutes ago, hammdo said:

So David, can you also produce the parts now?

-Don

Hi Don,

We can make the parts if needed or requested. I asked my shop to quote a quantity of 10 each of both up and down lock blocks to get an idea of cost to manufacture them. The final piece we need to determine for certain is the aluminum alloy.
I’ll donate my old down lock block to the cause for alloy testing. I have used a testing lab near me in the past and could do so again but will need to find out the cost. I can work on that and report back. 
Thanks,

David

• Thanks 1