Looking for a up lock and down lock block for CNC owner produced

1 minute ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Do we deduct what we already contributed? 

I would think not. That was for owner produced drawing so we can prove to the FAA we sourced the drawing...

-Don

4 hours ago, jamesm said:

Ok,  monkey see monkey do. I paid ... But I am not certain if that covers shipping. If doesn't could please let know?

I Rather pay you directly instead getting hit with all these surcharges  from go fund me..

Thanks for all the work.

James '67C

Hi James, 

This will cover shipping. I’ll be boxing up everyone’s order and shipping them out when the parts are completed. 
Thank you,

David

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Not to insult anyone, but is there any chance these won't work or would be glitchy?  No one seems concerned, so I see that as a good thing, but I just gotta ask. 

As with anything, there is a risk, but in the absents of any other solution, it is a risk I am willing to take.

Anders J

35 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Not to insult anyone, but is there any chance these won't work or would be glitchy?  No one seems concerned, so I see that as a good thing, but I just gotta ask. 

I believe the risk to be low as the drawings were made off of a relatively lightly used LASAR down lock block, up lock block and a used original Mooney cast block. 
I’ll make an offer to the group that I have one set machined completely before machining in all the holes on the entire order and install them in my aircraft to test form, fit and function. 
Thanks,

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I believe the risk to be low as the drawings were made off of a relatively lightly used LASAR down lock block, up lock block and a used original Mooney cast block. 
I’ll make an offer to the group that I have one set machined completely before machining in all the holes on the entire order and install them in my aircraft to test form, fit and function. 
Thanks,

David

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for going above and beyond. 

It should be sufficient and legal.

”Replaced landing gear up block with owner provided part. Rigged landing gear IAW Mooney Service and Maintenance Manual. Operated landing gear through 5 retraction and extension cycles, all operations normal. Approved for return to service.”

Edited by Andy95W
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

In regards to the drawings- is there anything logbook-wise that needs to be mentioned/added to keep it kosher? Curious if a future buyer reading "replaced downlock block with owner-produced part" would be a red-flag

There should definitely be a logbook entry, probably from an A&P/IA that does the installation.   Producing the part is legal as long as the guidelines are followed, but installation of stuff, even owner-produced parts, by owners is still limited by the FARs.   The legal opinion from the FAA counsel broadened that into pretty significant ambiguity, but proceed with caution.

That said, the logbook entry just needs to be like any other and have the date, what was done, and who did the work.  Many A&Ps like to keep the work description entries simple, which is usually a good idea, so even something like "Replaced J-bar up and down locks with owner-produced parts.   Ops check good," would suffice.

FAR 43.9 provides direction on what is required in a maintenance entry.   The requirement for the work description is just:  "(1) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of work performed."   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

It should be sufficient and legal.

”Replaced landing gear up block with owner provided part. Rigged landing gear IAW Mooney Service and Maintenance Manual. Operated landing gear through 5 retraction and extension cycles, all operations normal. Approved for return to service.”

To add a tiny bit, Mike Busch suggests that the owner should also make a logbook entry documenting the production of the part:  https://www.savvyaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/articles_eaa/EAA_2011-08_owner-produced-parts.pdf,   but the two relevant ACs of which I'm aware have no such requirement.   AC 20-62E doesn't say much about documentation, but does suggest capturing things like the manufacturer, certification status, etc., but that is included in the larger context of identifying all replacement parts, not just owner-produced.   AC 23-27, which is specifically about "Parts and Materials Substitutions for Vintage Aircraft", which does include Mooney M20 aircraft, just says in section 13(a), that minor repairs or alterations just require a typical maintenance entry per FAR 43.9(a), i.e., nothing special, just a description of the work done.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

There should definitely be a logbook entry, probably from an A&P/IA that does the installation.   Producing the part is legal as long as the guidelines are followed, but installation of stuff, even owner-produced parts, by owners is still limited by the FARs.   The legal opinion from the FAA counsel broadened that into pretty significant ambiguity, but proceed with caution.

That said, the logbook entry just needs to be like any other and have the date, what was done, and who did the work.  Many A&Ps like to keep the work description entries simple, which is usually a good idea, so even something like "Replaced J-bar up and down locks with owner-produced parts.   Ops check good," would suffice.

FAR 43.9 provides direction on what is required in a maintenance entry.   The requirement for the work description is just:  "(1) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of work performed."   

Of course my IA is signing it off, my annual is in a few weeks. I was mainly regarding the wording of such an important part imparting a good/bad vibe for potential future buyers. I know *I* won't have a problem with it, but curious if some would rather see something like "drawing on file for copy of LASAR downlock block P/N XXXXXX machined from T606...." versus "replaced with owner-produced". It just seems to vauge to what quality "owner produced" means. Just myself being worrisome about having to explain it later.

• Like 1