Looking for a up lock and down lock block for CNC owner produced

Hello all,

I have access to a material spectrum analyzer that could quickly determine the alloy or each element percentage the original parts were manufactured . I would have to take the part to the analyzer as the analyzer isn't mine and it is a radioactive source. This could be done free of charge however I don't have an available part to analyze. The original part appears to be  cast aluminum housing with a billet insert. The analyzer will only tell me what elements are in the alloy it scans not the process it was manufactured. (i.e. cast, forged, heat treated) If indeed there is a insert in the block as it appears then the insert could be replaced for considerably less amount. 

If interested in me machining parts to your specifics with CNC machinery please msg me. I can make the blocks for $300 or less, depends on your specifics.

Thanks,

Scott 

15 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Received the quote from the machine shop I use. 

Up Lock block — $305.62 each on an order of 10.

Down Lock block — $356.62 each on an order of 10. 

I expect the report from the lab on the alloy any day now.

Thanks,

David

@Sabremech - this is the way to go.  Got another quote from a shop in ATL.  Just sharing - not viable.

Line: 001 Expiration Date: 17-May-20
Gear Down Position Block
1 ea $1,877.00 
10 ea $553.00 

Line: 002 Expiration Date: 17-May-20
Gear Up Position Block
1 ea $1,942.00 
10 ea $560.00 

On 2/18/2020 at 8:36 PM, Sabremech said:

Received the quote from the machine shop I use. 

Up Lock block — $305.62 each on an order of 10.

Down Lock block — $356.62 each on an order of 10. 

I expect the report from the lab on the alloy any day now.

Thanks,

David

David:

I am in for a set as well, please.  I will pay and if you send them to Clarence, he can install them.

• Thanks 1

I removed my up lock block to blueprint and analyze today. I have not analyzed the material yet however it is definitely a cast aluminum piece. Which most likely will be A356. The tensile strength of A356 is 10000 psi and the hardness about 60-65 Brinell.  6061  has a tensile strength 35,000 psi,  95 Brinell. 2024 tensile strength 40,000 psi, 120 Brinell. 7075  tensile strength 56,000 psi 130 Brinell. If someone made the swap to extruded alloy then the tensile strength is overkill on all 3 alloys. Wear is the downfall of the cast blocks.  7075 will be the most wear resistant of all. 

Tomorrow I will have the material type of the OEM block confirmed and will report back. 

If anyone is interested in me fabricating the blocks from 7075 aluminum the price would be $300 ea. or $565 for the pair. This would include per request hard powder coating in transparent blue, transparent red, black chrome, red, black, white, orange, clear, or plain.  I have a Fadal 4020 CNC mill needing some run time and I like to help a fellow J-bar operator out.

Thanks,

Scott Rickard

256-431-8877

50 minutes ago, Open4cycle said:

I removed my up lock block to blueprint and analyze today. I have not analyzed the material yet however it is definitely a cast aluminum piece. Which most likely will be A356. The tensile strength of A356 is 10000 psi and the hardness about 60-65 Brinell.  6061  has a tensile strength 35,000 psi,  95 Brinell. 2024 tensile strength 40,000 psi, 120 Brinell. 7075  tensile strength 56,000 psi 130 Brinell. If someone made the swap to extruded alloy then the tensile strength is overkill on all 3 alloys. Wear is the downfall of the cast blocks.  7075 will be the most wear resistant of all. 

Tomorrow I will have the material type of the OEM block confirmed and will report back. 

If anyone is interested in me fabricating the blocks from 7075 aluminum the price would be $300 ea. or $565 for the pair. This would include per request hard powder coating in transparent blue, transparent red, black chrome, red, black, white, orange, clear, or plain.  I have a Fadal 4020 CNC mill needing some run time and I like to help a fellow J-bar operator out.

Thanks,

Scott Rickard

256-431-8877

You ever going to send me those teflon inserts that I paid for?  You told me last July that you were going to mail them.

Edited by rbridges

2 hours ago, Open4cycle said:

Thanks,

Scott Rickard

256-431-8877

Hi Scott,

I’m waiting on the results from the lab on my old down lock block for the alloy type. I did talk with them today and the report is being generated. The casting is not a standard alloy per the lab. 
 Once the alloy is determined and the suitable new material chosen, the group can chose to have sets machined through your services or I can get my shop to manufacture them. We’re planning to anodize over powder coating. The color choice will be limited to one to keep the cost consistent.

Thank you

David

• Like 1