Looking for a up lock and down lock block for CNC owner produced

Wanted to see if anyone had one of each (worn out is fine). Want to see if my friend can machine these out of 7075 high grade aviation aluminum.

PM me if I can borrow these long enough to have him see if it’s possible...

-Don

I’d be good with that too. My friend made pulleys for my supercharger and does a lot of CNC work.

7075 is the strongest aluminum, I believe, available and would make a strong set of blocks!

-Don

Edited by hammdo

50 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I have a fairly new set of uplock  and down lock blocks from LASAR in my bird. I’m not quite sure that I’d want to send them out, but would be willing to see what my shop would charge to make a set. 

David

awesome, David!

23 hours ago, hammdo said:

I’d be good with that too. My friend made pulleys for my supercharger and does a lot of CNC work.

7075 is the strongest aluminum, I believe, available and would make a strong set of blocks!

-Don

There’s a couple of options that I’ll put out there. I can take my parts to my shop and have a drawing made which will give your shop the dimensions they need to make them. Your shop would need to program them into the CNC. Think this option would cost the least. Or, I can have them drawn and then made by my shop.

Thanks,

David

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

Buy a new one, copy it, and sell it here when your project is completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the purchaser complies with one part of the owner produced rules, such as supplying the aluminum. 

9 hours ago, Sabremech said:

As long as the purchaser complies with one part of the owner produced rules, such as supplying the aluminum. 

I might be interested in one for the shelf (I replaced mine 400 hours ago).  Any idea what grade of aluminum is used and is it hardened?

John Breda

If someone was able to make a complete paper drawing, I am sure that someone else on Mooney Space would be able to generate a Solid Model of the part in either Solidworks or Pro”E”.  With the solid model file in hand, the cost from a CNC would be reduced.  This file (wouldn’t be viewable without the software), but can be easily shared and downloaded from a shared file on Mooney Space.  In 2020 the tolerances off of a part created on a CNC 5-axis milling machine is much tighter than most parts manufactured in 1966.

Yes, I was going to check with my friend about doing that after I get a new set. I’d rather try and get a 7075 aluminum block machined myself. I think @Sabremech has a good handle on this and since they’d be ‘owner produced’, it could help everyone who may need a set. We could probably setup a prebuy once we have an idea of approximate cost. In fairness to David, he is in business and this has to be profitable for him (having my own business, working for ‘free’ can get costly).

I think once the initial prebuy block set is paid, David could get the dimensions out for those to do their own while still having the ability to do more prebuy groups for those who would want to go that route.

-Don

Edited by hammdo