Registration Page Fixed! - Registration Now Open for Mooney Summit VIII, October 16-18 at KTPF

Rick Junkin

Greetings All!

Registration for Mooney Summit VIII is now open! Go to www.mooneysummit.com to register.

There are a number of changes for this year's Summit that will allow us to accommodate everyone who wishes to attend while still maintaining the highest quality of presenters, facilities, and opportunities for socializing and learning with our Mooney brothers and sisters. We're excited to have the opportunity to grow the value of the Mooney Summit to all, and continue our benevolent support of those who experience tragedy through your generous contributions to the Bill Gilliland Foundation.

One of the biggest changes is the change of venue to Peter O Knight Airport (KTPF) in Tampa FL. This was necessary as we had outgrown all of the suitable venues at Panama City Beach and we don't want to wait-list anyone. We have room to grow! We will be forever grateful to PCB and KECP for their support and hospitality.

Another change precipitated by the move to a larger venue and the current unavailability of some corporate sponsorship funds is the addition of a registration fee for pilots and individual attendees. This fee will help replace a portion of the sponsorship funds the Summit depends on to provide a world class event for you. Each paid registration will be able to register their non-pilot spouse or significant other with no additional fee.

We will be posting information about this year's Summit on the web page as the schedule and agenda are fleshed out over the coming months. We are working to bring you the best Mooney Summit yet!

If you experience any issues with the registration process please email me at rick.junkin@mooneysummit.com and I will help get them resolved. We're using a new registration method this year so your feedback on how its working is also extremely valuable. I know I can count on MSers to provide feedback!

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 2

Really excited about another Summit this year. Had to cancel last year because of the whole family being sick and needing to stay behind and help my wife. Turned into a ambulance ride for my 3 year old from the Dr’s office to the emergency room and over a month of us passing it around.

I’m glad there is a non refundable registration fee now. I was sad to hear the large discrepancy between people signed up to capacity and the lower actual turnout (of which I was a part of). I really need to take a pry bar to the wallet and make a donation when I sign up for stiffing the group last year...

• Like 1

I have really enjoyed the Summit the last 4 years.  However, non-refundable? Sorry that is a non-starter, especially 10 months out.  Too many variables in life.  I am also disappointed that the Summit was moved further south into Florida.  While it may be more assessable by commercial airline, it is now more difficult and further to travel for 99% of the Mooney community. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

I have really enjoyed the Summit the last 4 years.  However, non-refundable? Sorry that is a non-starter, especially 10 months out.  Too many variables in life.  I am also disappointed that the Summit was moved further south into Florida.  While it may be more assessable by commercial airline, it is now more difficult and further to travel for 99% of the Mooney community. 

Hi Kevin, we simply out grew PCB with the number of people that wanted to attend, and we couldn't allow because of space constraints. Then the no shows precluded them being able to at the last moment. We really debated on the non refundable registration fee of 99 for 2 people, but with the uncertainty of any support from Mooney, the vast commitment of money to have a lager conference facility, etc, we decided it will be on all of us who want to have a Summit make it happen, and totally reasonable to ask that the attendee's put some skin in the game. It will be up to each of you to judge the value proposition, knowing that even if you do not show, the money you spend for registration will go to put on a Summit and aid downed Mooney pilots like we have so deeply last year. I dont believe there is another charity in existence that puts it all back into the group that funds it like we do, all without pay or expenses ourselves. I do hope you see the value of the Summit, your commitment to make it, and change your mind. You are always such a delightful addition for everyone at the Summit.

• Like 5

Kevin,

I thought this weekend was the most crucial of your entire schedule...

Planned decades in advance...

Flying formation over the largest gathering of Mooniacs...

(Sense the high pressure sales tactic :))

I think the first time I had seen Mooneys in formation was over the beach in Florida.

(throw some summer beach with friends imaging onto the pile)

For Hank... The invite has been placed. Looks better than ever before... :)

Best regards,

-a-

An error on the Registration page was preventing some folks from completing their registration. That error has been corrected and the page should now work for everyone.

Thanks for your patience as we work through these initial bugs.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

• Rick Junkin changed the title to Registration Page Fixed! - Registration Now Open for Mooney Summit VIII, October 16-18 at KTPF

Mike hopefully this year will offer good health to all and I plan on being there, in my opinion the registration fee is extremely low especially for the quality education, comradeship freebies plus the enjoyment of being among our peers. It’s a shame you need to justify the changes made for the presentation of the Summit. I guess many mooniacs are truly CB’s.

• Like 1

Mike hopefully this year will offer good health to all and I plan on being there, in my opinion the registration fee is extremely low especially for the quality education, comradeship freebies plus the enjoyment of being among our peers. It’s a shame you need to justify the changes made for the presentation of the Summit. I guess many mooniacs are truly CB’s.
I certainly get it, Dan. We really struggled to have a registration fee and delayed until now to implement it. No one wanted to do this, especially me, but no one wants the Summit to be lessened either. We have had 7 registration free events, and honestly, after each one, attendees would come to me and ask why we don't charge a few hundred per person, as they would gladly pay it for the deliverables they received. 99 for pilot and spouse is less than what it has cost at a lesser venue to produce as it is. Fortunately, great sponsors will help fill the gap along with some very generous Mooniacs.
It's our annual fundraiser for the Bill Gilliland foundation in addition to being the largest Mooney specific conference. Last year we struggled with keeping it at Seahaven vs spending a LOT of $ to move it to a larger, better venue. This year we are doing it, and we hope it will successfully help our fundraiser to aid downed Mooney Pilots, and not burden it.
Our SME's will once again be world class.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kevin makes a valid points, and Kevin it was something we debated before instituting the fee.  For instance, if there's bad weather, or a problem with your plane, we don't want get there itis becoming a factor.  However we decided so in order to hold the type of event size wise we want to offer the Mooney community.  For all we know we may change it for next year.  We hope to see you there.

The good news is we should not be capped this year so you don't have to sign up this instant.  However, the earlier people sign up, the better it helps us for planning.  We also wanted to get registration open as soon as possible.

We should have hotel accommodations, group rates, and that sort of information up soon.

Take care,

-Seth

• Like 4

Kevin brought up two valid points; registration fee and location.

Registration fee has been answered, and I might did, and rightfully so. But, how about location? The summit is now held about as far as possible at one end/area of the USA. I know folks travel from all over the US, and even overseas, but would it not have been possible to find a more centrally located location for all mooniacs?

We enjoy the Summit very much and plan to attend, but will wait to signup closer to the scheduled date.

Thanks for all that you do to make this event happen.

• Thanks 1

Alex Gertsen with the NBAA assisted in finding a suitable location, one that was interested in having the Summit, and Tampa Airport Authority stepped up and really made a world class destination a possibility for us. You might have noticed their delegation of 4 people at last years Summit to investigate our needs and credibility.

Yes its a longer flight for some, and much shorter for others. I personally wont have an 8 hour drive this year, just a one hour. Andrew just cut a day out of his travel to attend the Summit, and people that want to commercial in have a far better time of it. It will take about 1.5 hrs to get from PCB to Tampa in a J, so it wont be bad for the locals of the PCB area. We were starting to get complaints of the condition of the venue, etc. The majority of the previous attendees wont be affected negatively much if any at all.

I have had request for the Summit to be in Kerrville, St. Charles Mo., Phoenix, Boston, and a number of other sites. PCB served us well and Dr. Ron Dubins generosity really helped us out being able to house our SME's and others, but it was time to grow to allow for the greater attendance, unfortunately, it does inconvenience some as would anything we do. Fortunately, you guys are still very very close, unlike some that come from the far corners. 

• Like 5

Quite honestly, I would attend regardless of the location and the distance I had to travel. Yes, the first time might have been because it was only a hour and a half J flight for me, but after being in the middle of everyone who was there, I was hooked.

As for the registration fee, well, I have found very little in life worth having is free, and we were certainly getting a bargain for the Summits prior to this one.

So I will see you there.

• Like 2

Kevin makes a valid points, and Kevin it was something we debated before instituting the fee.  For instance, if there's bad weather, or a problem with your plane, we don't want get there itis becoming a factor.  However we decided so in order to hold the type of event size wise we want to offer the Mooney community.  For all we know we may change it for next year.  We hope to see you there.
The good news is we should not be capped this year so you don't have to sign up this instant.  However, the earlier people sign up, the better it helps us for planning.  We also wanted to get registration open as soon as possible.
We should have hotel accommodations, group rates, and that sort of information up soon.
Take care,

-Seth

Thanks for the additional information. I have yet to make it to a Summit. And no, despite the belief of some, it has nothing to do with the logistics of transporting extremely large women.

Two years ago I got pulled into a last minute international business trip and last year I was going to fly down with Danb while my cylinder was being replaced. Due to a health emergency we couldn’t travel.

Unfortunately I am going to wait until I know my schedule will permit travel.

On a related topic, I know this event is a major undertaking for setting up the venue, events and lining up speakers. It would be nice to see the event offered in different locations around the country. Either move this one around or offer smaller scale versions. There are a lot of Mooney owners in different pockets around the country I believe would participate if it was closer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

On a related topic, I know this event is a major undertaking for setting up the venue, events and lining up speakers. It would be nice to see the event offered in different locations around the country. Either move this one around or offer smaller scale versions. There are a lot of Mooney owners in different pockets around the country I believe would participate if it was closer.

Thanks for the recommendations!

The Summit directors have been talking about these kinds of things from the perspective of what's feasible with the limited resources available to plan, fund and execute while maintaining the level of excellence the Summit has demonstrated and we all have come to expect. At our foundation the Summit exists to make us all better as a community and that drives us to find ways to provide the opportunity for all to participate. It's a tough challenge, all things considered, and we continue to work at it. The way it is today doesn't have to be the way it is tomorrow, as illustrated by what we're doing for this year's event.

Keep the recommendations coming! Please continue to share your ideas, particularly any ideas to help address the funding and logistics challenges. If you know of a generous venue or sponsor that can help us do better at reaching everyone, we'd definitely like to hear about that. And of course your recommendations for world class Summit presenters, particularly individuals you have ties to and can invite to participate, are constantly welcome and encouraged.

We're also interested in volunteers to help with some of the heavy lifting involved with making the Summit work. If that's something that appeals to you let us know! There is always something that could use some attention.

The Mooney Summit is for you, and your Board of Directors is doing its (our) best to maintain and improve the quality of what the Summit provides. Your inputs guide us, so again, please keep them coming!

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:40 PM, Junkman said:

Thanks for the recommendations!

The Summit directors have been talking about these kinds of things from the perspective of what's feasible with the limited resources available to plan, fund and execute while maintaining the level of excellence the Summit has demonstrated and we all have come to expect. At our foundation the Summit exists to make us all better as a community and that drives us to find ways to provide the opportunity for all to participate. It's a tough challenge, all things considered, and we continue to work at it. The way it is today doesn't have to be the way it is tomorrow, as illustrated by what we're doing for this year's event.

Keep the recommendations coming! Please continue to share your ideas, particularly any ideas to help address the funding and logistics challenges. If you know of a generous venue or sponsor that can help us do better at reaching everyone, we'd definitely like to hear about that. And of course your recommendations for world class Summit presenters, particularly individuals you have ties to and can invite to participate, are constantly welcome and encouraged.

We're also interested in volunteers to help with some of the heavy lifting involved with making the Summit work. If that's something that appeals to you let us know! There is always something that could use some attention.

The Mooney Summit is for you, and your Board of Directors is doing its (our) best to maintain and improve the quality of what the Summit provides. Your inputs guide us, so again, please keep them coming!

Cheers,
Rick

Well said Rick. As an interesting factoid, here is a map of where all the FAA registered Mooney owners  are located

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1q91IaKH42MoKCa9XaR6G5zTR4cp2rzMZ&ll=33.515006795713234%2C-97.83137945552505&z=6

18 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

As an interesting factoid, here is a map of where all the FAA registered Mooneys currently are based. 

How old is this data?  I see it still has my old location and I updated my address with the FAA two years ago.

Also, this map shows the mailing address of the registered owner, not the basing location of the aircraft.

It seems that the NE has the highest density of Mooneys.

In my experience people buy Mooneys to get as far away, as fast as possible, so I guess it makes sense that there are so many based in Florida, after all that is why I originally bought mine.:D

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kpaul said:
How old is this data?  I see it still has my old location and I updated my address with the FAA two years ago.
Also, this map shows the mailing address of the registered owner, not the basing location of the aircraft.
It seems that the NE has the highest density of Mooneys.
In my experience people buy Mooneys to get as far away, as fast as possible, so I guess it makes sense that there are so many based in Florida, after all that is why I originally bought mine.

Looks like it's a bit over a year old Created 10/18. Ill bet the xls files feeding it are of the same vintage, and give the FAA a years slack...
@gsxrpilot, here is your chance to put your XLXS skills to work and develop an dynamically updated map!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well said Rick. As an interesting factoid, here is a map of where all the FAA registered Mooneys currently are based. 
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1q91IaKH42MoKCa9XaR6G5zTR4cp2rzMZ&ll=33.515006795713234%2C-97.83137945552505&z=6

Can anyone say GDPR? Wonder how long before the FAA restricts this data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Well said Rick. As an interesting factoid, here is a map of where all the FAA registered Mooneys currently are based. 

That's pretty cool! Color-coded by model, too. Now I need tomfind the three ither C models near me . . . .