Wing Walk: Paint vs 3M Stick On

GeeBee

I have searched and a lot of threads on "how to" on MS for paint. As I prepare to remove my stick on wing walk and replace it I was wondering what is the opinions here. Randolph wing walk compound or 3M stick on? One MSC I talked to paints all of theirs but the factory does 3m tape. The 3M seems very good for grip. Wonder what the opinions are here.

8 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I have searched and a lot of threads on "how to" on MS for paint. As I prepare to remove my stick on wing walk and replace it I was wondering what is the opinions here. Randolph wing walk compound or 3M stick on? One MSC I talked to paints all of theirs but the factory does 3m tape. The 3M seems very good for grip. Wonder what the opinions are here.

On a couple of previous Mooneys that I had I used a heat gun and then Goo Gone and a plastic scraper to get up the old wing walk and adhesive residue. I cleaned the area up with alcohol to make sure the new material would stick. Then I used  Koffler Anti Skid for the wing walk. It is less expensive and a better product than 3M. 

https://www.kofflersales.com/p/anti-slip-abrasive-tape.asp

1798149674_ScreenShot2020-01-08at5_09_22PM.thumb.png.c5213a56f29c6d73c55eb18f93f3ee2b.png

I used the custom length option and 24" width. I bought 6 feet..

Before taking off the old wing walk I used poster board and traced a template so I could use it to mark and cut the new wing walk material. This stuff sticks amazingly well so it's helpful to have a second person to hang on to the other end it as you are applying it. 

(If the old wing walk is still there but just faded you can save a lot of work by just masking it off and just spraying it with flat black paint.)

Paint on wing walk I think is preferred.  Very easy to repair worn sections.  You can also paint the wing walk the same color as the wing if you choose, but black give passengers a better sense of where they can step and not step.

John Breda

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

On a couple of previous Mooneys that I had I used a heat gun and then Goo Gone and a plastic scraper to get up the old wing walk and adhesive residue. I cleaned the area up with alcohol to make sure the new material would stick. Then I used  Koffler Anti Skid for the wing walk. It is less expensive and a better product than 3M. 

https://www.kofflersales.com/p/anti-slip-abrasive-tape.asp

1798149674_ScreenShot2020-01-08at5_09_22PM.thumb.png.c5213a56f29c6d73c55eb18f93f3ee2b.png

I used the custom length option and 24" width. I bought 6 feet..

Before taking off the old wing walk I used poster board and traced a template so I could use it to mark and cut the new wing walk material. This stuff sticks amazingly well so it's helpful to have a second person to hang on to the other end it as you are applying it. 

(If the old wing walk is still there but just faded you can save a lot of work by just masking it off and just spraying it with flat black paint.)

How well does the spray paint do?  My wing walk looks good except for the fading. 

The wingwalk on Lil' Sister was painted on but faded/dirty and with missing bits here and there.   I re-did it after we finished the interior redo.  I used this product https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/randolphwingwalk.php?clickkey=6290 which is a real hard thing to stir.   Enamel paint with grit.  Looks real nice.  Taped off with blue painters tape and applied with a 4" roller.

new_wingwalk.jpg

23 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

The wingwalk on Lil' Sister was painted on but faded/dirty and with missing bits here and there.   I re-did it after we finished the interior redo.  I used this product https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/randolphwingwalk.php?clickkey=6290 which is a real hard thing to stir.   Enamel paint with grit.  Looks real nice.  Taped off with blue painters tape and applied with a 4" roller.

new_wingwalk.jpg

I did the exact same on two different planes. If the original is uneven in some way it can’t hurt to sand it to even it out. I didn’t sand mine but cleaned it extremely well before applying the new paint. I recommend stirring quite often to suspend the grit and it’ll look great! It’s a relatively easy project.

Well let's see.  OSH 2017, a brand new Money flew from Texas to Wisconsin.  Upon arrival, large portions of the wing walk sticker were missing and paint was stripped off the elevator weights.  They had to overnight new wing walks so the aircraft could be put on display. 

17 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Well let's see.  OSH 2017, a brand new Money flew from Texas to Wisconsin.  Upon arrival, large portions of the wing walk sticker were missing and paint was stripped off the elevator weights.  They had to overnight new wing walks so the aircraft could be put on display. 

Sounds like the paint hadn't cured yet on a brand new airplane.  I used the 3M product once and it was OK, but if the Koffler product is attached to cured paint you'll need a heat gun to get it off. If the liquid wing walk had been put on new paint it would have been worse for the display for Oshkosh, at least all they had to do was just stick a new piece of wing walk on.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, GeeBee said:

I have often wondered how LineX bedliner paint would do. It has an extremely grippy surface and is very durable.

I like this idea. I have a renter who owns a Linex franchise. I’ll have to suggest this next summer to him. 

3 hours ago, Keith20EH said:

This stuff worked great, even filled in low spots of old missing wingwalk.  It is also rubber grit, not abrasive, very easy to apply with a brush.  The wing walk is like a welcome mat, make it nice!

20200112_143343.jpg

Nice! How did you do the smooth black border?

Skip

• Like 2

This stuff worked great, even filled in low spots of old missing wingwalk.  It is also rubber grit, not abrasive, very easy to apply with a brush.  The wing walk is like a welcome mat, make it nice!
20200112_143343.thumb.jpg.cd27aaff6bc3c152da025a370ae1efa4.jpg

I second@PT20J question and statement. Very interested in having that boarder around my wingwalk when I redo mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1