Great DC3 to Europe via Greenland Video

Stephen

9 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I had seen those.  I thought it was pretty cool.  If I remember correctly, there was a conversation between the DC3 and a United plane, the other pilot asked what their plane type was and the response was “Right on!” when the UAL pilot heard it. 

Yep, it's in the first video. Pretty cool!

• Like 1

That one looks very high tech and very cool for the cross Atlantic mission

Last year I have come across some few "brave ones" doing USA to UK/France for the 75 years anniversary of D-day (one have crossed all the way from CA to Paris on dodgy avionics and like many vintage airplane they just like to fly at 500ft for obscure regulatory reasons doing their dry run, but I doubt they crossed the Atlantic at that height :D), we even spotted D-Day Doll at 3 places Duxford/NorthWeald (dry run), Cherbourg (d-day for pass over Sainte-Mere-Eglise) and in Paris (at Le bourget Airshow), it was fabulous hunting that many DC3 around in the air and the ground !

20190604_110104.jpg

Screenshot_20200110-000404.png

20190623_155635.jpg

20190331_180641.jpg

IMG-20190531-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20190531-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20190531-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20190531-WA0011.jpg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, bradp said:

That guy Matt has a pretty good gig, but something about him rubs me the wrong way.  Some of his decision making seems immature.  I dunno. Maybe I’m just a grumpy old man now. 

You can admit it, you're just a little be jealous. :P

He is young and maybe a little too successful for his age which might give someone an outsized belief in one's own judgement and abilities. But on the other hand, wouldn't it be cool if many more millennials were doing this type of thing instead of...

I certainly wish I could have been flying that much at that young age.  

I’ll freely admit that flying around the world and getting as many experiences as Matt certainly  induces envy.  Only wish I could fly that much.  Among the Semi full time YouTubers the ones I respect a lot are - Martin Pauley, the Jason ForeFlight guy that flies the TBM, Trent Palmer, Greg in the premier.   Their attitudes toward flying are professional and reasonable and their videos have enough variety and are informative.  The ATC couple that flies the twin Cessna are also good to watch.

Flight chops is a humble lifelong learner and definitely has a story arc.  Matt’s videos are all over the world, have gorgeous scenery / places, but he does come off as an early 20-ish level of maturity and he sometimes brushes up against flying into situations he seems to wish he wasn’t in (Scott D did a breakdown of one of his weather decisions / this recent Russia video seemed like an optimistic cluster of sorts).  

I’m neutral about stevo TBM guys videos.  As I am about Niko’s wings videos.  In the negative category I find Aviation101 guy and Swayne Martin as simply self promotional. 

And then there’re the train wrecks of YouTube Jerry W etc. 

(I usually have YouTube flying videos running in the background when I’m doing piles of paperwork at my desk...) 

• Like 1

I find it much easier to spot mistakes or wrong decisions watching flying videos, these included looking at my own when I was flying for training/fun and using GoPro video for debriefs (it does not have to be a video, just flying with another pilot who has nothing to do, he will be able to spot the missing my xyz easily or make sound judgement than the other pilot who is busy in action)

I also was impressed by amount of conflicting traffic recorded on my GoPro when doing gliding in busy airfields compared to the ones I managed to spot landing on the day (the camera has low resolution but still show load of traffic :blink:)

Most of the GA guy in YT as really inspiring 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ibra said:

t does not have to be a video, just flying with another pilot who has nothing to do, he will be able to spot the missing my xyz easily or make sound judgement than the other pilot who is busy in action

This.  This is probably the most valuable lesson I learned this summer when getting acquainted with the Mooney.

53 minutes ago, Ibra said:

(... just flying with another pilot who has nothing to do, he will be able to spot the missing my xyz easily or make sound judgement than the other pilot who is busy in action)

It doesn't even have to be a pilot, just somebody alert and interested.   These days when I have a passenger my third, backup, tablet gets handed to them during the passenger briefing and i show them how to scroll and zoom the map, recenter it, and how to read the traffic markers to help look for traffic.   This works crazy well with most people and seems to give them a more enjoyable experience plus adding a lot to the situational awareness.   This is my SOP now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It doesn't even have to be a pilot, just somebody alert and interested.   These days when I have a passenger my third, backup, tablet gets handed to them during the passenger briefing and i show them how to scroll and zoom the map, recenter it, and how to read the traffic markers to help look for traffic.   This works crazy well with most people and seems to give them a more enjoyable experience plus adding a lot to the situational awareness.   This is my SOP now.

Also there’s the Hawthorne effect. I know my flying is less sloppy when someone is watching.  

Yes true, you should also include "complicated relashionship effect" as well: my wife told me I was the most caring & safest pilot when I took her nervous grand dad & grand mum for a scenary flying over their house, while when flying with her I just seem to crack on in a hurry like a Monday bus driver :D

Flying with my dad I am always crap anyway, flying under watch of my work ex-boss (who used to fly helis) I just keep making innocent mistakes :unsure: