Garmin G5 rumors

RobertGary1

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The can bus has nothing to do with it. They output analog guidance signals for the AP DG using the GAD29B. They could easily make a box that would output the analog signals to drive the legacy APs. It is not a technical issue. It is a business and/or regulatory issue.

Given an attitude input signal, if CAN or ARINC I could probably build a box to emulate the King AI signals for $200 or so in parts. A little more to add the Flight Director stuff. But that's ignoring the years of time and tons of money to certify it. 

I was hopeful the AV-30C autopilot box would materialize, but alas that also looks to be years away.

18 hours ago, pwnel said:

Well roughly a dual G5 and a single Aspen 1000 Max is about the same installed.  The Aspen EA100 is $3k extra.  If Garmin did this for $1k it would tip in their direction.  For either company I would strategically make this box a loss-leader to win customers over.  The cheaper the better.  It think it would tip it for many folks.

Boom!!!!!  Christmas in January!   GPSS and attitude for my Century2000 :D:D:D

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

The dealer webinar mentioned being a 256 replacement so it should cover a lot of the Mooney base. 

Can you tell if the GAD boxes are also required?  I am trying to understand what are the hidden costs?  GAD boxes?  How easy is the install?  If they were very clever they would have found a way to make it almost slide in for a KI256 or HSI and with the GAD box built right into these head units, no hidden cost and very low labor cost.

This may well be a great stepping stone, on the way between analogue and gateway drug step by step to GFC500.

21 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Can you tell if the GAD boxes are also required?  I am trying to understand what are the hidden costs?  GAD boxes?  How easy is the install?  If they were very clever they would have found a way to make it almost slide in for a KI256 or HSI and with the GAD box built right into these head units, no hidden cost and very low labor cost.

This may well be a great stepping stone, on the way between analogue and gateway drug step by step to GFC500.

That’s the interesting thing to me. It looks like the new unit is not compatible with the gfc500. It wouldn’t surprise me if the outputs are similar to the txi and even the optional battery might be the external unit (like the 7 inch txi). 

wow, is there really a demand for a ROUND gauge?   That has to be the second stupidest decision I have seen gamin make.  Round is antiquated and it waste space. The only benefit is flush mount in existing panels instead of intruding like a G5 would.

One of my aircraft has a KI256 with a G5 below.  If this was square like the g5, I would sign up today.  RN, I will only consider this if my KI256 takes a dump... even then I might just decide to go nuts with a big flat SQUARE screen.

The other aircraft has Dual flush mounted G5's.... There is no FD function on the top G5.  Again, had this been square, I'd sign up today.  Being that it is round, it is going to destroy the look of the panel.   This one I will have to think about.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

That’s the interesting thing to me. It looks like the new unit is not compatible with the gfc500. It wouldn’t surprise me if the outputs are similar to the txi and even the optional battery might be the external unit (like the 7 inch txi). 

From other bits I have been reading, my impression...I cannot confirm yet - is the battery can be built in, all the GAD stuff is built in, and it can talk to GFC500 but that is not yet certified.   To ease install, and make these as appealing as possible. That is what they should have done if they are clever and want to sell a ton of these things.  

OMG. What a cool instrument. So transformative that it just made me say something nice about Garmin for once :P.  Looks like it might not cut it for those who primarily need a  standby AI though, like the G5 does?  Looks like 1hr battery vs. the G5's 4hr battery.   It would be a dream to have a low(ish) cost backup AI that could serve as a moving map and/or second HSI when not in an emergency.   Like others, I was hoping for a software update to the G5 that might add functionality...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

wow, is there really a demand for a ROUND gauge?   That has to be the second stupidest decision I have seen gamin make.  Round is antiquated and it waste space. The only benefit is flush mount in existing panels instead of intruding like a G5 would.

One of my aircraft has a KI256 with a G5 below.  If this was square like the g5, I would sign up today.  RN, I will only consider this if my KI256 takes a dump... even then I might just decide to go nuts with a big flat SQUARE screen.

The other aircraft has Dual flush mounted G5's.... There is no FD function on the top G5.  Again, had this been square, I'd sign up today.  Being that it is round, it is going to destroy the look of the panel.   This one I will have to think about.

Its the classic problem....round beg.  Square hole.  https://ratiocinativa.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/round-pegs-in-square-holes-revd-sydney-smith/

Actually I like it round...but it doesn't matter to me.  I did like the UV30 for this reason.  I am not a Garmin fan boy, but they may well have made a too-easy to not get little item here.  The one I have been hold off on for a few years.  Aspen, UV30, TXi, G5, G3X, nothing was quite what I wanted for various reasons.  This might be it.

Edited by aviatoreb

11 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Read the note at the bottom of the list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Its the classic problem....round beg.  Square hole.  https://ratiocinativa.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/round-pegs-in-square-holes-revd-sydney-smith/

Actually I like it round...but it doesn't matter to me.  I did like the UV30 for this reason.  I am not a Garmin fan boy, but they may well have made a too-easy to not get little item here.  The one I have been hold off on for a few years.  Aspen, UV30, TXi, G5, G3X, nothing was quite what I wanted for various reasons.  This might be it.

Talking about round and square.  Will this fit a typical M20K panel?  (apologies if this is a dumb question).  It's not like our HSIs and AIs are classic round holes.

panel.png.1df346f34ae61a5eab16a923593d34b1.png

Just now, pwnel said:

Talking about round and square.  Will this fit a typical M20K panel?  (apologies if this is a dumb question).  It's not like our HSIs and AIs are classic round holes.

panel.png.1df346f34ae61a5eab16a923593d34b1.png

Are you worrying if you can fit a circle into an octagonal hole?  Good question!

My feeling is, this is a non problem - if the hole diameter is large enough and the screw holes are properly spaced, then some kind of fill will be available or can be fashioned.  I bet the screws are placed at a standard position compatible with the KI256.

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Are you worrying if you can fit a circle into an octagonal hole?  Good question!

My feeling is, this is a non problem - if the hole diameter is large enough and the screw holes are properly spaced, then some kind of fill will be available or can be fashioned.  I bet the screws are placed at a standard position compatible with the KI256.

Lots of adapters available to make a 3ATI hole fit a round instrument.

image.png.0142fed575e5fbc51f559347da6bbb65.png

• Like 3