Garmin G5 rumors

RobertGary1

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Well that’s funny.  Here I am picking up my airplane from getting dual G5s installed and I think I’d have been better off with 2 of these!  The G5s were a real tight fit and couldn’t be flush.  They also slightly cover some writing on the panel (callsign).  For a 51 year old airplane these would have been a superb upgrade with limited panel surgery.  
In my opinion, it looks like they are more capable than G5s too... syn vis (yeah its small), flight path marker, auto pilot connectivity, and hsi ADSB weather display, etc.

Maybe the G5 will get an upgrade to match?

Like everyone else here, I've been looking at these all day, too.  Impressive, but cluttered, displays.  I must be getting old, but the GI-275 displays I like the most are the standard, uncluttered AI and standard HSI- so in the end I'm probably better off with the G5s.

I think the G5 upgrade I'm hoping for the most is a price reduction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They should have expanded the line of G5’s, so you could add on an array of G5’s.  These round units just don’t make any sense to me. 

Synthetic vision on a screen that small is kinda useless.  SV is on the aspen in the baron and I never use it because it’s just useless clutter.   SV is only good on a big wide screen imho. 

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Like everyone else here, I've been looking at these all day, too.  Impressive, but cluttered, displays.  I must be getting old, but the GI-275 displays I like the most are the standard, uncluttered AI and standard HSI- so in the end I'm probably better off with the G5s.

these are at least 60 percent more expensive, right? An HSI and AI combined is like 10k which is more than these two units combined and installed with a new panel.

4 hours ago, Andy95W said:

2amu/unit, resulting in no more AI/DG overhauls, no more vac pump replacements, not mention WAY more functionality and reliability including 4hrs battery backup. Plus you're an A&P and can install yourself.  But you're still holding out for a price drop...I take my CB hat off to you and bow deeply! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

They should have expanded the line of G5’s, so you could add on an array of G5’s.  These round units just don’t make any sense to me. 

Synthetic vision on a screen that small is kinda useless.  SV is on the aspen in the baron and I never use it because it’s just useless clutter.   SV is only good on a big wide screen imho. 

It’s almost like Big G has a couple of different camps for product development.  Clearly the g5 / G3X came was born from the experimental avionics team and functionality increased with consumer demand and feature requests.  The GI units seem to have come from the G500txi team - many of the functions (save CDI presentation) seem to be if you took a cookie cutter and a G500txi and carved out mini Txi’s. There has got to be a reason why the GI 275 like the G500txi does not talk to the GFC autopilot (or to a G5 via canbus).  That seems to be a downside that will drive servo overhauls rather than a new big G autopilot sale.  An attempt to drive GFC-600 sales? I’m not sure.  

The potential GI-275 sales must be great for the heavier AC / part 135 etc that need an instrument here and there without the need / want for a “dream panel”.  

Does this kill the AV-30? Probably not.  It’s almost twice the price.  

At least there are choices.  

• Like 1

Just now, McMooney said:

i'm all in for 2 gi-275, install without cutting up my panel.   everything primary.

honestly I was hoping for the av-30 but will get these instead.

This wouldn’t allow for delete of a bunch of Mooney ASI that have the airspeed switch as part of the gear anti-retract system.  

Also if I had this as primary altimeter I’m pretty sure I’d bust my altitude constantly.  It would be two small.  I have G5’s and still reference my analog altimeter in my scan.  

I'm of the opinion that just because you could remove the Airspeed and Altimeter, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. The full glass panels I've flown have always had at least Airspeed and Alt somewhere else. And of all the things on the panel, they're probably the most reliable. Spinny gyros not so much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steve W said:

I'm of the opinion that just because you could remove the Airspeed and Altimeter, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. The full glass panels I've flown have always had at least Airspeed and Alt somewhere else. And of all the things on the panel, they're probably the most reliable. Spinny gyros not so much.

Exactly. I also love using these two big prominent gauges as indications of level flight. When the bottom hand of the altimeter is rock steady in 500 feet and the airspeed is steady at 130 (yeah I fly slow) I know I’m level. No need to look at the gauge it is obvious through peripheral vision. And you are right those two are so simple.

I’d replace the oldest VOR and the DG with the HSI, the attitude with the attitude/PFD ans then throw in an engine monitor where the tach/map gauge is.  Replace the turn and bank with a blank. Keep the GI 106.  If I still owned the Mooney I’d be photoshopping those into place right now to see how it looks.

12 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

That was my expectation as well, until I set up my iPhone with ForeFlight to display an Attitude Indicator (using the AHRS in the FlightStream 210).   The 2.5” wide display (iPhone X) has similar resolution to the GI 275 and it shows SV clearly.