Garmin G5 rumors

RobertGary1

Our backups in the 1000 are electric, Mooney was silly sticking them on the far right making the scan prone to nauseating at best when backups are needed. Promoting vertigo due to head movements to understand if ones straight and level at least. A G5 on the left side of the panel would have been a good improvement 

• Like 1

Don't know what I'm missing but our Mercy Flight 1986 BE-36 is getting all the steam gauges pulled for a  G5/G3X installation, and it will be driving a King A/P..  Our local FBO / maintenance facility is a pretty big and current Garmin Dealer.  They assured us this package will drive our legacy AP.  Scheduled for a couple months out.  They know something we don't know?

Tom

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Don't know what I'm missing but our Mercy Flight 1986 BE-36 is getting all the steam gauges pulled for a  G5/G3X installation, and it will be driving a King A/P..  Our local FBO / maintenance facility is a pretty big and current Garmin Dealer.  They assured us this package will drive our legacy AP.  Scheduled for a couple months out.  They know something we don't know?

Tom

I don't know of any approval making the G5 allowed for primary for the pitot/static instruments.

-Robert

8 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I don't know of any approval making the G5 allowed for primary for the pitot/static instruments.

Garmin sez: For select aircraft equipped with G500 or G500 TXi, G5 can also be used as a standby flight instrument to those systems.

What is surprising in @Yooper Rocketman's installation is that it will drive a legacy King autopilot.

Edited by tmo

44 minutes ago, Danb said:

Our backups in the 1000 are electric, Mooney was silly sticking them on the far right making the scan prone to nauseating at best when backups are needed. Promoting vertigo due to head movements to understand if ones straight and level at least. A G5 on the left side of the panel would have been a good improvement 

Oddly the G5 wasn't approved as a backup for the G1000. Cessna also still uses vacuum backup attitude in the center lower console.

-Robert

@Yooper Rocketman - what AP is installed in the BE-36?

Can you please confirm that the AP will be _fully_ driven by the new glass?  As of right now, the G3X page says: G3X Touch will not support display of flight director (FD), autopilot modes or annunciations for non-Garmin autopilots. Consult your Authorized Garmin Dealer for more details.

I guess that if you have e.g. a STEC which has its own electric attitude source it might work...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

Huh - I didn't know they could do that.  

Well a G3X is more expensive than simply a G5, but if a G3X can drive the legacy autopilots that too would serve as a stepping stone.  But a slightly bigger jump.  If/when I upgrade to something, I don't think I am explicitly required to also get some kind of backup at the same time since I already have an electric gyro lifesaver attitude indicator.  So either a pair of G5's or a G3X would serve to retire my vacuum KI256+HSI, but as far as I know neither of those can currently drive a KFC200.

4 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Oddly the G5 wasn't approved as a backup for the G1000

I believe it is still the case, and actually true for most any integrated glass cockpit solution.  See notes 1, 2 and 3 in the July 2019 revision of the G5/Certified STC/AML (last page).  Note 4 also excludes FIKI and G3X...

On 1/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, Oldguy said:

And how about the folks with a problematic Century A/P? I wonder how much they would be willing to spend on getting it repaired before they bite the bullet for the GFC 500? Especially if they already have 1 or 2 G5s.

Another Mooney driver spent well into the high single AMUs to get his Century working correctly before the GFC 500 came out. In talking with him, he would have gladly spent the money on a G5 and GFC 500 had they been available at the time.

I can speak for one person with a Century 31 that has been "fixed" 3 times.  After each fix it does everything except follow a course, follow a heading or hold altitude.  While I am happy to help put my avionics tech's kids through college, I would also like to have a functional autopilot.  I'm not sure how long I should wait for the Aspen/TruTrak/BK Aerocruz to be a thing.  The G5 and GPC 500 route is looking better.

• Like 2

Just confirmed for the THIRD TIME with both the shop owner and the avionics manager, that combo WILL DRIVE our KFC 200.   It IS the G3X driving the A/P though, not the G5 ( I initially said I didn’t know how they were doing it).  

Tom

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

I don’t see how. The way to provide attitude ref to my KFC150 is traditional KI256 or an emulation via ADHRS. The G3X touch doesn’t even allow GAD43E. So I don’t see how unless they know something we don’t yet know.

24 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

It IS the G3X driving the A/P though, not the G5

Please ask them how it's doing that exactly. Is the G3X providing attitude reference to the KFC? Or only provides heading and course error to the autopilot? If it provides attitude ref it’d be news to me! I don’t think it does and I think they're confusing it with GPSS.

7 hours ago, bradp said:

But does that have impact on the certification standards- ie whether STCd or TSOd ? 

A TSO is an authorization to manufacture a part. TSOA actually is an authorization to manufacture a part to a TSO.

Neither gives any authorization to install that part in any aircraft. If the aircraft already has a part with a TSO it can be replaced with another part meeting the same TSO. Installing a TSO part that hasn’t been previously installed is a major modification that requires an STC or field approval. 

37 minutes ago, PTK said:

That’s what I thought. Nothing about providing attitude reference to King ap’s. So yes G3X touch will provide heading and course but would still need to retain KI256 and vacuum. 

Would be nice if the install manual were available, as the G5 is restricted to NOT being the primary attitude instrument if the autopilot has a flight director. Would seem to make it difficult to install a G3X in any usable manner if it had the same restriction.

• Like 1

I had heard a while back one of the Garmin Experimental products (thought is was the G5) couldn’t replace a flight director.  Was told that by the same shop when I was installing one in my Rocket.   This is the same shop that now said we could replace all steam gauges with the G3X, and asked twice prior to today if this Garmin package would drive our A/P.  This was predicated by an intermittent failure of the attitude in the FD and huge discounting by the shop.   Guess I’ll find out if they missed something or they know something different.   Either way I’m glad I posted now before they/we get surprised during or after the install.  

Tom

At this point in the game I’d really think long and hard about using a shop that didn’t realize the 256 AI is still needed for attitude reference. UNLESS he knows about a new adapter box coming out for the G5 or g3x. A huge chunk of the fleet is using that type of system. 

• Like 2