Garmin G5 rumors

RobertGary1

Garmin is telling distributors there will be some announcement mid-next week. There is some anticipation that they may offer a version of the G5 that fits standard panel holes. If you plan on ordering one you might wait a few days. They also announced a new version of the 650/750 (??Txi??)

-Robert

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Garmin is telling distributors there will be some announcement mid-next week. There is some anticipation that they may offer a version of the G5 that fits standard panel holes. If you plan on ordering one you might wait a few days. They also announced a new version of the 650/750 (??Txi??)

-Robert

If they do that it would be interesting to see how the price would line up next to the AV-30S that fits current standard holes.

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

• Like 2

Just now, Skates97 said:

If they do that it would be interesting to see how the price would line up next to the AV-30S that fits current standard holes.

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

Its possible they're trying to align with some of the stuff new stuff like that has. I've heard Garmin reps say the G5 was designed for the experimental market so some things like being able to receive nav signals from non-digital radios, auto pilot integration etc. are lacking.

-Robert

11 hours ago, hypertech said:

There's been a rumor that they will come out with something to interface to legacy autopilots (KFC150, 225, etc).  I'm not holding my breath and scheduled a full GFC500 install.  Happy to be wrong and save some bucks though.

If the G5 attitude indicator could interface with the KFC150, 225 etc, I would remove my vacuum system and replace my legacy instrumentation almost immediately.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

There is some anticipation that they may offer a version of the G5 that fits standard panel holes.

I guess I don't understand this statement.  My dual G5s were installed in the my panel with no modifications, in the holes left by the ADI and Heading Indicator.

3 minutes ago, kpaul said:

I guess I don't understand this statement.  My dual G5s were installed in the my panel with no modifications, in the holes left by the ADI and Heading Indicator.

Your holes may have been a bit further apart than normal. The g5 doesn’t sit in the hole like most instruments, it has a big square face on top of the hole. Normally you have to egg out one of the holes a bit to allow the G5’s to sit one above the other. 

-Robert  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hypertech said:

There's been a rumor that they will come out with something to interface to legacy autopilots (KFC150, 225, etc).  I'm not holding my breath and scheduled a full GFC500 install.  Happy to be wrong and save some bucks though.

Ohh man, I am REALLY hoping this is what they will announce... I would love to get a G5 for attitude!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-SLOT said:

If the G5 attitude indicator could interface with the KFC150, 225 etc, I would remove my vacuum system and replace my legacy instrumentation almost immediately.

I would love to do that as well, the thing is, I have vacuum speed brakes so I dont know how  that would work.

I heard rumors back 6 months ago they were developing a new G5 with similar form-factor but with faster processor/resoultion that could me a true multi-function instrument.  With a few clicks of the button, it could be reconfigured for:

• ATI
  • HSI
  • DG
  • CDI
  • Turn Coordinator (traditional turn and slip)
  • EIS
  • G-Meter
  • RSI
  • Radio Altimeter
  • ADF (why)

Everything below the first two would be a new feature, or a configuration the instrument could do if interfaced.  I could see a value in this for older planes, typically trainers, wanting to get rid of mechanical insturments and overhauls.  Who knows, at least they are still improving their products and actually bringing them to market.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

I would love to do that as well, the thing is, I have vacuum speed brakes so I dont know how  that would work.

You can do like @gsxrpilot and I have done. Pull the backup vacuum system, leave the engine operated one, and gain ~12 lbs. UL. Flying without speed brakes can be a pain (esp. in a Rocket, I imagine) but you can do it. Then, changing the vacuum pump on condition becomes somewhat more realistic.

Or you can cough up the nearly $7,000 to swap out to electric speed brakes and lose your CB membership. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Adding a CDI to the attitude display would be good. If you have dual G5's but lose one in the clouds you have to choose between staying upright and knowing where the localizer is?

-Robert

No, the G5 in PFD mode will show loc, gs, etc., etc.    You don't really lose any info switching from HSI to PFD mode, just that the heading is a little harder to read.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Adding a CDI to the attitude display would be good. If you have dual G5's but lose one in the clouds you have to choose between staying upright and knowing where the localizer is?

-Robert

No... with the attitude indication you still have a CDI and heading indication.  I think you may have to look at the GPS to get a bearing, but if you have a moving map that would be easy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

You can do like @gsxrpilot and I have done. Pull the backup vacuum system, leave the engine operated one, and gain ~12 lbs. UL. Flying without speed brakes can be a pain (esp. in a Rocket, I imagine) but you can do it. Then, changing the vacuum pump on condition becomes somewhat more realistic.

Or you can cough up the nearly $7,000 to swap out to electric speed brakes and lose your CB membership. :D

If you have an Allegro, Encore, or later you can rid your entire vacuum and still have (electric) speedbrakes.  I gained 40+ lbs of useful load going glass and removing the Vacuum, backup, and old heavy insturments.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I think the intent of the (rumored) new G5 would to add interface to the VOR, ILS, and glideslopes as a true backup tied to those legacy connected insturments... without GPS.

It can't be hard to do.  Additionally if they can drive legacy autopilots it would be amazing.  Aspen charges an insane $3000 for the EAD100 which kills Aspen as an option for me.  

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, hypertech said:

There's really no comparison between the GFC 500 and the older autopilots.  Really worth the extra money for it, if only for the new GSA 28 light weight brushless servos.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, donkaye said:

There's really no comparison between the GFC 500 and the older autopilots.  Really worth the extra money for it, if only for the new GSA 28 light weight brushless servos.

Sure there is.... 15,000usd + to purchase and install.

Yea I know how nice they work...however so does my KFC150.  Probably not as precise, but I find myself disconnecting and hand flying a lot just to have a little fun.

You have a valid point about the servos.  I suspect 1 or more of them going bad will push me over the edge.  They are spendy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Austintatious said:

Sure there is.... 15,000usd + to purchase and install.

Yea I know how nice they work...however so does my KFC150.  Probably not as precise, but I find myself disconnecting and hand flying a lot just to have a little fun.

You have a valid point about the servos.  I suspect 1 or more of them going bad will push me over the edge.  They are spendy.

Subract from the price the sale of the servos and KC 192, and the price is a lot less than what the old autopilots used to cost.

1 hour ago, pwnel said:

It can't be hard to do.  Additionally if they can drive legacy autopilots it would be amazing.  Aspen charges an insane $3000 for the EAD100 which kills Aspen as an option for me.  

I would think the I/F from a G5 to a legacy King A/P would require a similar box in between the two devices as the G5, from my understanding, is digital and the King A/Ps are analog.

Completely willing to be shown my error, BTW.