King KR85 ADF, repair

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The real reason to remove an ADF is that if you ever take a checkride with one installed, the examiner might make you try to navigate with it.

Still on the written for Private, Instrument and Commercial. 

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Still on the written for Private, Instrument and Commercial. 

I was mainly joking. I did an NDB approach for my IFR check ride in 1995 and later flew a few NDB approaches, but GPS makes it so much easier. They still use ADFs frequently in other parts of the world. I mainly used mine to listen to a baseball game on a long flight.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The real reason to remove an ADF is that if you ever take a checkride with one installed, the examiner might make you try to navigate with it.

Isn't an INOP label meant to prevent this from happening? ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

Is there even a remaining field in the Continental US only served by ADF approach - I doubt it, but interested to know

There are a few in S Texas, and KMFE use to have an ILS that required ADF for the Outer Marker, would have to look and see

One of the approaches into Morristown, NJ still uses an ADF as part of the Missed approach...

So essentially, it is a waypoint in the GPS’ database...

+1 for inflight entertainment...

but, realistically a BT connection into the audio panel isn’t that hard to come by...

:)

For Steve’s wandering needle... start with cleaning connections, see what has come loose, or corroded....

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guru...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

There are a few in S Texas, and KMFE use to have an ILS that required ADF for the Outer Marker, would have to look and see

But unless any of those fields are ONLY served by an ADF approach then they have lost their utility IMO since there are better options. Like Anthony said, that "required" ADF for the middle marker identification is just a (FAF) Gps waypoint with any IFR GPS.

The irony of the lack of utility of ADF is that it's only "real" utility is that you need the ADF operational in the plane just to be "legal" to fly the ADF approach with an IFR GPS; since legally the raw ADF signal needs to be monitored while flying it with your GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Steve65E-NC said:

Robert,  Thanks:  Don, at Gulf Avionics, was very helpful.  He suggested a careful cleaning on antenna connector as a start.  Also, said that would look at unit and give me a repair quote.  They did have the harnesses on hand. 

No problem, Don is the go to guy in this area to get the older boxes repaired

Just checked, VOR RWY 14 at KMFE requires ADF or DME, KHBV has an NDB RWY 13, there are a few more but I can barely spell ADF let alone shoot an approach with one

Sure there are uses of ADF in many places. But none of them are truly required anymore. Take your KHBV NDB approach example, yet we find there is a GPS LPV approach to the same runway. Why would anyone fly an NDB approach anymore when we have much better options?
I don’t even know of any instrument students that have even been trained in NDB approaches in last couple decades - not when a GNS430 is common on most trainers including C150s. But obviously there are still many Mooney’s without an IFR GPS and I’ve trained in many that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Why would anyone fly an NDB approach anymore when we have much better options?................

But obviously there are still many Mooney’s without an IFR GPS and I’ve trained in many that way.

answered your own question.... and Mooney's aren't alone, but I did see a Cherokee 140 about 10yrs ago with dual 430's in it for sale, basically buying the panel and you got a tired 140 for free

• Like 1

I am in the process of installing an adf in my M20D.  I don't like having to update the gps database every few months and I got the ADF for $100.  I can pick up KMOX in st louis anywhere east of the rockies at 10k ft.  I am sure there are lots of other am stations out there also that work.  Is it as good as a GPS?  No it is not.  It is a lot easier to use and cheaper to install and maintain though.

Mark

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, markgrue said:

I am in the process of installing an adf in my M20D.  I don't like having to update the gps database every few months and I got the ADF for $100.  I can pick up KMOX in st louis anywhere east of the rockies at 10k ft.  I am sure there are lots of other am stations out there also that work.  Is it as good as a GPS?  No it is not.  It is a lot easier to use and cheaper to install and maintain though.

Mark

Subscription free nav data, don’t tell Jeppesen or Garmin.

Clarence

In the southeast US along the coast, there are many times per year when GPS isn't available, sometimes for days. Due to military operations around Savannah, or off the Space Coast of Florida, so you need VOR navigation, or the ADF. Not to mention solar flare activity that degrades it with no warning. I'm hanging onto some old school nav devices alongside my wiz-bang state of the art Garmin goodies because I've found I've needed it more than once a year.

6 hours ago, philiplane said:

In the southeast US along the coast, there are many times per year when GPS isn't available, sometimes for days.

Wouldn't VOR and DME be preferable to ADF?  I'm actually planning on removing an ADF to make room for an EDM...