Examiner crisis worsens

RobertGary1

Last year examiners got so busy they stopped scheduling with independent instructors. As a CFI I had to refer students to the larger flights schools for their final sign off in order to get an examiner. Just called one today and now they are impacted as well. She told me they now need 3 months lead time for an examiner. They're almost exclusively using traveling examiners now since the local ones are so booked up. 

The biggest issue seems to be alternatives. It used to be that $750 for a private checkride for a private was good money. Now contract pilots are getting $2,000/day + and without the headache of dealing with the FAA. So I'm not sure if checkrides are up or its just that contract flying is more lucrative. 

-Robert

39 minutes ago, carusoam said:

What credentials would I need to have... to earn the 2amu per day?

I can see working hard to come out of retirement for that...  :)

PP idea only, not a pro pilot...

Best regards,

-a-

Commercial multi works.  2nd class medical.

Haven’t seen $2000 yet, but I have done a few of these contract flights... out at 9am, Stanford football game, back by 5pm.  I just sit copilot and talk on the radio because I’m not typed in a citation.  It’s single pilot, but pax decided to pay the $1000 a day extra for two pilots... it’s not a terrible days work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Haven’t seen $2000 yet, but I have done a few of these contract flights... out at 9am, Stanford football game, back by 5pm.  I just sit copilot and talk on the radio because I’m not typed in a citation.  It’s single pilot, but pax decided to pay the $1000 a day extra for two pilots... it’s not a terrible days work.

well, besides the fact that it's a Stanford football game.  :lol:

• Haha 1

It's $700 in south Florida and either you need to wait a few months or someone personally.  I've never heard of $2000+.  Fortunately, my examiner who gave me both my Private and Instrument rides never schedules far in advance so he has a very flexible schedule.

31 minutes ago, bradp said:

Question about DPEs - can you chose any DPE across the country or are they somehow restricted by FSDO?

use to be, but they are free to go where ever....and they can do 3 rides a day vs 2 a few years back

On 1/8/2020 at 3:21 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Interesting.  I guess the supposed pilot shortage is having trickle down effects.  Damn, I wouldn't mind a $1000 joyride on a weekend putting my Comm to use.  Might just need to go get that multi though... 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 10:15 PM, RLCarter said:

use to be, but they are free to go where ever....and they can do 3 rides a day vs 2 a few years back

This varies by FSDO.  Shebly a few years back had an LOA to do 6+ a day, there was some drama around that.  Most are 2 initials and 1 add on per day (e.g. add a multi commercial to single commercial). 

1 hour ago, M20F said:

This varies by FSDO.  Shebly a few years back had an LOA to do 6+ a day, there was some drama around that.  Most are 2 initials and 1 add on per day (e.g. add a multi commercial to single commercial). 

I believe the FAA took that authority away from the FSDO's. Now its nationalized. DPE's can work any district and the old limits on number of rides is gone.

-robert

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I believe the FAA took that authority away from the FSDO's. Now its nationalized. DPE's can work any district and the old limits on number of rides is gone.

-robert

That is my understanding as well, and the initial CFI was handed over to the DPE’s as well