Mooney factory closed again

Oscar Avalle

I think all of us would love to see any owner at this point.  I just can't believe it was so badly mismanaged after it was purchased again.  They pumped what, $100 million into it?  Planning on reviving the old airframe as a trainer ... and that's gone up in smoke.  

I agree that TBM could get it for a song, the question is would they want to?  It's like buying an old airframe...for the purchase price you are just getting started...

Maybe we can nicely ask them for there last 5 years of tax returns, audited financials, creditors and payroll tax reports. I’m sure they would be more than happy to comply.

Daher / TBM buying Mooney isn't completely irrational - which makes it almost sensible in GA :-)

One of the determinants of insurability for a new TBM owner is retract / complex time.  500 hours in a Cirrus isn't going to cut it, nor will a bunch of Caravan time.  Underwriters want a proven track record of remembering to lower the gear.

The company could work some kind of trade-up program for wanna be TBM owners who couldn't get insured.  However, the product still has to stand on its own.  Daher sells something like 50 TBM's per year, and maybe 10% of that needs complex time.

-dan

34 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Daher / TBM buying Mooney isn't completely irrational - which makes it almost sensible in GA :-)

One of the determinants of insurability for a new TBM owner is retract / complex time.  500 hours in a Cirrus isn't going to cut it, nor will a bunch of Caravan time.  Underwriters want a proven track record of remembering to lower the gear.

The company could work some kind of trade-up program for wanna be TBM owners who couldn't get insured.  However, the product still has to stand on its own.  Daher sells something like 50 TBM's per year, and maybe 10% of that needs complex time.

-dan

Actually - I like it when you put it that way.  They could call the M20 as the stepping stone trainer to a TBM940.  All in the family.  Reuniting these companies has a certain chummy old friends renewed thing.

E