Your Favorite Ride with your Favorite Plane

Stephen

On 1/14/2020 at 10:46 AM, Seth said:

I remember that thread.  A lot of us at the time had BMW E39 M5's.  A disproportionate number for the only 9000 or so that were sold in the United States between 2000 and 2003.  I'm curious who still has one.  I do (just about to roll past 180,000 miles).  I think it was 5 or 6 of us that had one years ago.

-Seth

Sold my E38 to Ron for a PCB car for the down payment on the Model X '97 IL with 115000 miles on it 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 3:54 AM, Parker_Woodruff said:

I built an attainable version of the dream car the other night on Porsche's site...718 Cayman with Jet Black Metallic exterior.  I know a lot of people don't like the turbo 4-cyl that replaced the 6-cyl of the 981.  Having driven both, I'll take either one.  The 718 is a better car IMO despite the fact it doesn't sound quite as nice as the 981.  And even I, the manual transmission purist, have been sold on the Porsche PDK.

iris?COSY-EU-100-17116bXqc6eP3Hi1qwT9HcnyInrHKxJTTPE3kUWFYRpwY4EhM%254x7Jm8Uv1T1FH18uWgds6yJ5EiSRlW9ACv8cOdzj8iaqiTyOFmPQLRmVBbgT0VPzx7z80XF%25XrKW1aiX1Iu7kKHz0rhgAyzh7RYbXgamxblTTPE3y739Qs1wY4tI7gKRV4tvUv1sMFHnLwGAALJJi60cOgSv31FgjMXaf8I5dElPxceGU7BSMx9bgY2A5fZxKb%250FhWugQjspTO0L

IMG_0954.thumb.jpeg.e2386a51311f03fbe9fd1e429f96b43a.jpeg

Porsche's parent company vehicle  :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

I forget - did they use the Porsche parts bin to build the VW or the VW bin to build the Porsche?

Volkswagen bin to build the Porsche 356.

The Volkswagen flat 4 engine was modified to become the first 356 engine.  

Others here may know more on all this .

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 9:02 AM, Bravoman said:

I’m bummed that they are totally doing away with the manual transmission for the C8.

The C7 had almost convinced me, and the C8 had officially been the first to make me a new Vette guy.  But if this is true? 

A minivan with auto-opening doors is cooler than a Corvette without a clutch and a stick.  Same for Ferrari; drove one in Florence last summer.  Still sounds like a Ferrari, but...an automatic?  Just get a Kia.

13 minutes ago, EagleDriver said:

The C7 had almost convinced me, and the C8 had officially been the first to make me a new Vette guy.  But if this is true? 

A minivan with auto-opening doors is cooler than a Corvette without a clutch and a stick.  Same for Ferrari; drove one in Florence last summer.  Still sounds like a Ferrari, but...an automatic?  Just get a Kia.

Yep, they're taking the glamor and fun right out of cars. Just bought a lightly-used Altima to run into the ground (90 miles a day commuting at 35-40 mpg), it handles the twisty roads alright. But they even ruined the CVT by giving it fake "shifting points" where the RPMs drop, complete with a "sport driving" mode for altered fake-shifts . . . . Because it must drive like your minivan or people won't like it.

Pretty soon there will be one car that comes in three versions:  sedan, sedan with extended roof (replacing minivans), and sedan with open trunk (replacing trucks). Not only is the stick shift dead in this country, but coupes are disappearing fast and new trucks are o ly available in 2 versions:  standard cab with zero storage, and crew cab (4 doors, two full seats, and 2/3 of a bed if you're lucky).

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

Pretty soon there will be one car that comes in three versions:  sedan, sedan with extended roof (replacing minivans), and sedan with open trunk (replacing trucks). Not only is the stick shift dead in this country, but coupes are disappearing fast and new trucks are o ly available in 2 versions:  standard cab with zero storage, and crew cab (4 doors, two full seats, and 2/3 of a bed if you're lucky).

One car that comes in 3 versions.  Black, white or silver.

I have a 2004 Subaru WRX STI which is actually a really great 4 season car for snow country and I run stuffed snows in winter.  It’s a hoot on a white surface.  I have a short throw 6 speed manual on it.

53 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

There is a huge difference between a slush box and some of the new 8-10 speed paddle shifters. Having said that I really like the car models/packages that are only available with a stick shift. 

I've onky seen Mustangs and Camaros with stick shifts, niwnthat Corvettes have dropped it. And you can buyna new Silverado with turbo-4 and 10-speed auto, no paddles . . . Soon only 4s will be around, too . . . . .

What the new Corvettes have is not what most people think of when they say "automatic transmission".   It's not even close.   The only thing missing is the clutch pedal, and because it has a dual clutch it's pretty easy for software to make it "shift automatically" if you so desire.

If you've ever driven a dual-clutch box with a good paddle shift system you won't miss the clutch pedal.   Seriously, it's a good thing.   It is so far superior to an automatic transmission or a single-clutch stick shift with a pedal that most serious race cars have been using them for over a decade.   You'll get left behind if you're still rowing gears.

Once I'm done with school and my 45-minute daily commute I'm seriously thinking about a C8 Grand Sport.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, Denver98 said:

I dug out my old CFI/CFII binder that I put together in college and found this magazine from December 1993.  I took pictures of the article for those that want a stroll down memory lane.  I’ve owned the Corvette, a green ‘94.  That was almost as fun as the flying the Mooney.  Enjoy!!

19AD486C-839E-4B7E-9DC1-C3DBD1E1DBE8.jpeg

7C987416-1D3A-416B-A9C7-6C15B943C402.jpeg

9E2E6A63-EBB9-4816-A63B-69D1E01ED52A.jpeg

2A5F2A24-900F-47D1-A6E0-DDD930BB138A.jpeg

06063B5F-DA1C-4B50-9CB0-B30EB7FA5836.jpeg

100BFC57-F48B-4B15-974F-08A12F232064.jpeg

A85B3C71-1223-43AF-AE1E-96E2BC4403EB.jpeg

831C3244-2111-4725-8B0B-888E98325796.jpeg

Amazing  , what caught my eye was the price. 272 k is much better than 800 k . I guess that's what has happened to the value of the dollar . In 2006 I bought a loaded up 4 door Duramax Silverado.  Now that same truck is 30 K more . 

Now that M 20 is worth what ? 3/4 the purchase price . And the Vette is worth not that much . 

Love this thread , and all of the cars .

Edited by Dan208

On 1/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, EricJ said:

What the new Corvettes have is not what most people think of when they say "automatic transmission".   It's not even close.   The only thing missing is the clutch pedal, and because it has a dual clutch it's pretty easy for software to make it "shift automatically" if you so desire.

If you've ever driven a dual-clutch box with a good paddle shift system you won't miss the clutch pedal.   Seriously, it's a good thing.   It is so far superior to an automatic transmission or a single-clutch stick shift with a pedal that most serious race cars have been using them for over a decade.   You'll get left behind if you're still rowing gears.

Once I'm done with school and my 45-minute daily commute I'm seriously thinking about a C8 Grand Sport.

Same as the Ferrari I drove last year, still a shell of a sports car.  No connection, no driving, don’t even need to listen to the car.  It doesn’t talk, it does what someone programmed the ECU to do.  Traction control, no clutch, speed adaptive steering, etc., etc.  What’s the point in driving it? 

Should a race team call and desire to pay me money to win with their car, I imagine I’d be very happy with the technology advancement.  Especially if my new salary is based on winning races.  Until then, a Corvette without a clutch and a stick may as well be a Chevette. 

Edited by EagleDriver
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:28 PM, Eight8Victor said:

I just don't see it, not in my lifetime at least. The ICE has evolved to a point of being a truly amazing and extremely efficient machine. 

Then why all the big car companies now scrambling to try to come up with a competitive EV offering? Either you must have a very short lifetime on your horizon, or you have a Mustang in your future :)

As well as the Internal combustion engine has been developed, it will never be as efficient as an electric motor. Certified air cooled internal combustion engines are the work of the devil and regulated by the FAA. What could possibly go wrong?

With the advent of dry cell lithium tech and other battery tech on the horizon, energy density increases, we are not far away at all to complete disruption in not only the auto industry, but transportation in general.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Then why all the big car companies now scrambling to try to come up with a competitive EV offering? Either you must have a very short lifetime on your horizon, or you have a Mustang in your future :)

As well as the Internal combustion engine has been developed, it will never be as efficient as an electric motor. Certified air cooled internal combustion engines are the work of the devil and regulated by the FAA. What could possibly go wrong?

With the advent of dry cell lithium tech and other battery tech on the horizon, energy density increases, we are not far away at all to complete disruption in not only the auto industry, but transportation in general.

Electric cars are perceived as "zero emission" vehicles, because the car emits nothing, the power for it and the emissions are all at the power plant, which are hardly zero.

Two major roadblock to widespread adoption  of electric vehicles are range and charge time. I can spend 5 minutes at a gas station and drive my family sedan 600 miles. Then 5 more minutes enables another 600 miles. How long would it take your Tesla to make the 350 mile trip I'm heading out on this weekend? That's each way, from rural Alabama to rural western NC. Can't fly, we're bringing a 2nd vehicle back and the wife won't drive back if I'm flying . . . I'll be there ~6 hours after I leave home.